Thanks Thanks:  254
Likes Likes:  1,764
Page 65 of 175 FirstFirst ... 15555657585960616263646566676869707172737475115165 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: List Managment thread (For 2022)

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    So would I along with Peter Foster to our backline, Chris Grant and Lally Bamblett in our forward line and Liam Picken wherever he wants.

I'd like to see that
    So you’re telling me there’s a chance….

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    There's an odd BF rumour that will be Leon Cameron.
    I truly hope so
    BB.

Looking forward - Naughton, Darcy and JUH. It will be the envy of everyone.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    Agree. Lobb was the ideal recruit LAST year when we knew hat we would have a year without Bruce.

The only way I see us fitting him in the forward line if Bruce is fit is if Naughton goes back to CHB. I am generally against this, but if this has the effect of strengthening our back 6 and still allowing our forward line to function great!
    I guess we should have forced him to play for us then.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Swoop View Post
    It's probably not the reality but I imagine a Moneyball scenario between Power and Bevo ala Billy Beane and Art Howe. I feel like Power is saying, if you refuse to play two genuine ruckmen I'm going to go out and get a key position player that is a genuine ruckman and give you no other option.
    There might be something to that but you would hope the recruiting team have the authority to stick largely to the best available theme but what the coach wants would come into play.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I agree we need a replacement for Stef, and I hope we get one.

As for finding someone like Lobb to replace Bruce this year, it might be that you have to put a lot of work into landing players like that and be into them for a long time like it appears we have been with Lobb. It may have been a hard ask for us to get someone of his quality in given the fact Bruce did his knee with three weeks of the home and away season left.
    What probably complicated things for us last year during the trade period was having so many out of contract players we had to get deals for this year and trying not to tie up money until those deals were done but I still think there were players that could have been targeted.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    What probably complicated things for us last year during the trade period was having so many out of contract players we had to get deals for this year and trying not to tie up money until those deals were done but I still think there were players that could have been targeted.
    Sorry to sound like BAD, because he's one in a million and we love him and he can't be replaced or replicated, but how do we know we didn't try?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Sorry to sound like BAD, because he's one in a million and we love him and he can't be replaced or replicated, but how do we know we didn't try?
    I don't think I said we didn't try but we weren't really linked with anyone. What we do know is Bruce was going to miss a large slice of the season and didn't bring in anyone to address it. 12 months later and for some Lobb or someone like him is now a must.

Is this a bit like midfielders being 2nd to the ball?

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think I said we didn't try but we weren't really linked with anyone. What we do know is Bruce was going to miss a large slice of the season and didn't bring in anyone to address it. 12 months later and for some Lobb or someone like him is now a must.

Is this a bit like midfielders being 2nd to the ball?
    It may have been that we thought that Josh Schache who had a promising finals series was going to take a step up in intensity and overall output over the last twelve months, it could be that we tried to land someone but couldn't because other clubs had already put the work in by that stage.

None of that changes the fact we need depth in all of ruck, forward and defence if this place is any sort of litmus test......or was any sort of litmus test until we started to do something about those things.

It's almost as if we get more satisfaction from looking back at our perceived failings and engaging in acts of self-flagellation around here than we do from being moderately proactive about fixing those problems.

Post Thanks / Like

12 months later and for some Lobb or someone like him is now a must.
    Chasing Lobb is for the second ruck role that we have been missing, not just forward craft.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

10. Likes Bullies liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

With another preseaon under his belt why can't Darcy be that 2nd ruck/forward?
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    I think they believe the best for Darcy is the intercept defender role and to learn the craft down back as Naughton did in his early years. Much easier down back to get a read on the game and he can also play on the guy who plays up the ground so he is not accountable. You also don't want him getting smashed in the middle when he is not physically ready. He will cop it enough down back.

Post Thanks / Like

For me English first ruck/ forward Lobb 2nd ruck/ forward. Could be 70/30 or 60/40 rucking. Is this too simple?

14. Likes Bullies liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    For me English first ruck/ forward Lobb 2nd ruck/ forward. Could be 70/30 or 60/40 rucking. Is this too simple?
    I think it would be more likely 80/20 or 70/30 but it works. By being able to spell English a bit more it could help him right through the season.

16. Likes Bulldog4life, Bulldog Revolution liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    He's improved so quickly, and come back after his injury so far advanced on what we'd expected I think they maybe asking themselves this exact question.

Certainly can't blame the list management team for looking when Darcy hadn't played at all. But now we've seen him...

Nice problem to have.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it would be more likely 80/20 or 70/30 but it works. By being able to spell English a bit more it could help him right through the season.
    80/20 is what we do now with Bruce/Schache/insert name here.