Thanks Thanks:  254
Likes Likes:  1,764
Page 66 of 175 FirstFirst ... 16565758596061626364656667686970717273747576116166 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: List Managment thread (For 2022)

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I think it would be more likely 80/20 or 70/30 but it works. By being able to spell English a bit more it could help him right through the season.
    I said 60/40 to appease the woofers who want English second ruck.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    80/20 is what we do now with Bruce/Schache/insert name here.
    I think so. Lobb might allow a bit more flexibility as well.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

3. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think so. Lobb might allow a bit more flexibility as well.
    We want a decent second ruck. Bruce and Schache are not it. Lobb is.

5. Likes Bulldog Revolution liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bullies View Post
    I think they believe the best for Darcy is the intercept defender role and to learn the craft down back as Naughton did in his early years. Much easier down back to get a read on the game and he can also play on the guy who plays up the ground so he is not accountable. You also don't want him getting smashed in the middle when he is not physically ready. He will cop it enough down back.
    Naughton was a gun junior defender and showed that in his first year for, you could argue we'd be a better side with him down back still. He was only thrown forward as a late preseason hail mary and we are lucky I guess it stuck. Not really comparable to me.

Darcy is a great mark and he looks made for that 2nd ruck role/forward role(just likje his dad when he first started). I'd hate for us to bring in a pretty average footballer to steal his best spot for a few seasons.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    Naughton was a gun junior defender and showed that in his first year for, you could argue we'd be a better side with him down back still. He was only thrown forward as a late preseason hail mary and we are lucky I guess it stuck. Not really comparable to me.

Darcy is a great mark and he looks made for that 2nd ruck role/forward role(just likje his dad when he first started). I'd hate for us to bring in a pretty average footballer to steal his best spot for a few seasons.
    Wasn't Naughton an absolute gift for us? Drafted as a defender and adapted to a key forward role when we needed him to.

Darcy should be a success in whatever position he settles down in and while I think that should be in the forward line in the next 2 seasons and then in a forward/ruckman role as you have suggested it could also easily be as a key defender.
    My only concerns as a defender is his quickness but that is something they can work on.

8. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Wasn't Naughton an absolute gift for us? Drafted as a defender and adapted to a key forward role when we needed him to.

Darcy should be a success in whatever position he settles down in and while I think that should be in the forward line in the next 2 seasons and then in a forward/ruckman role as you have suggested it could also easily be as a key defender.
    My only concerns as a defender is his quickness but that is something they can work on.
    Haha yeah Naughton is the same dilemma as Chris Grant , which end do we play him as he'll kill it at either.

I too worry about Darcys leg speed, but also his field kicking. Its not great so when he turns it over its in really dangerous positions.
    The curse is dead.

10. Likes hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Haha yeah Naughton is the same dilemma as Chris Grant , which end do we play him as he'll kill it at either.

I too worry about Darcys leg speed, but also his field kicking. Its not great so when he turns it over its in really dangerous positions.
    Darcy will make it and his field kicking will improve. Like with most taller youngsters we are just going to have to be patient with him.

12. Likes hujsh, chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Lobb isn't a bad ruck and one upside to having him in the team is if English is having a stinker (as he is want to do from time to time) he and Lobb can switch roles and we'd still have a competent ruck and a competent forward.
    Last edited by hujsh; 10-08-2022 at 11:50 AM.

14. Likes chef, azabob, bornadog, Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

16. Thanks chef thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We have seen how long it has taken Tim English to develop into physically capable ruck/forward from a tall, skinny kid.

I know Darcy is a "Unicorn", but I think it really is asking too much of him to compete physically as a either a KPF or ruck for at least the next year, probably 2.

I think back is probably the easier role for Sam for the time being.

18. Thanks Bulldog Revolution thanked for this post
    Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Lobb isn't a bad ruck and one upside to having him in the team is if English is having a stinker (as he is want to do from time to time) he and Lobb can switch roles and we'd still have a competent and a competent forward.
    It certainly would provide some options particularly if there was an injury to English somewhere during the game.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    We have seen how long it has taken Tim English to develop into physically capable ruck/forward from a tall, skinny kid.

I know Darcy is a "Unicorn", but I think it really is asking too much of him to compete physically as a either a KPF or ruck for at least the next year, probably 2.

I think back is probably the easier role for Sam for the time being.
    Good suggestion. It will mostly likely be a while before he could genuinely compete a true KPP from the opposition. If we get Jones in he is less likely to have to be pitted against an opposition key forward.
    He will be developing player for us over the next 2 seasons.

Post Thanks / Like

Good suggestion. It will mostly likely be a while before he could genuinely compete a true KPP from the opposition. If we get Jones in he is less likely to have to be pitted against an opposition key forward.
    He will be developing player for us over the next 2 seasons.
    Marra is in his second year, it's not like Sam will be the big dog he will have big bodies around him.

I guess where you see the list is probably how you would use Sam.

If we think we are right in the window, which looks likely then it makes sense to load up on experienced players.

Personally I'm not so sure that we are.

Post Thanks / Like

I still think we need Jones and ANOTHER quality KPD.
    I have no faith in Keath getting anywhere near his 2021 imput
    And realistically, how many games would we expect Darcy to play ? I think we will have to be cautious in the teams he plays against.

We can’t be relying on Cordy and O’Brien next year if we are being serious.

This is why I’m on the Barrass bandwagon. We need this defence transformed, and a KPD who can play on the big boys is essential.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

23. Likes Vred, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post
    I still think we need Jones and ANOTHER quality KPD.
    I have no faith in Keath getting anywhere near his 2021 imput
    And realistically, how many games would we expect Darcy to play ? I think we will have to be cautious in the teams he plays against.

We can’t be relying on Cordy and O’Brien next year if we are being serious.

This is why I’m on the Barrass bandwagon. We need this defence transformed, and a KPD who can play on the big boys is essential.
    I've read a few articles about Barrass and he doesn't appear to be making any noise about leaving. In fact he's been mentioning some leadership ambitions at the club.
    Have you located anything that indicates he is looking to leave?

He's a terrific player I just wonder if he is really a chance to leave.