Thanks Thanks:  254
Likes Likes:  1,764
Page 39 of 175 FirstFirst ... 29303132333435363738394041424344454647484989139 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: List Managment thread (For 2022)

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    Worth it.

Who doesn't?
    He has been excellent this year but still missed a game or two with concussion didn't he? I would be nervous offering a long contract given his history.

Post Thanks / Like

Rory Lobb has ‘informed’ Freo of trade wish as Bulldogs prepare to pounce

Rory Lobb has reportedly informed Fremantle of his desire to be traded from the club at season’s end.

Rival clubs for months have been of the opinion that Lobb won’t be playing for the Dockers next season, despite being contracted to the club until at least the end of the 2023 season.

Lobb, who tried to be dealt back to the Giants in last year’s trade period, is said to be interested in a move back to the east coast, with the key forward seeking a three-year, $1.5 million deal.

Herald Sun journalist Jon Ralph reported on Fox Footy earlier this month Lobb would most likely land at the Western Bulldogs.

7 News Melbourne journalist Tom Browne on Monday reported that Lobb had already told the Dockers of his wish for a trade at the end of Freo’s 2022 campaign.

“It’s my understanding from speaking to a club over the weekend, they’re of the opinion that Rory Lobb has informed Fremantle of his decision to seek a trade at the end of the year,” Browne said on the Triple M Footy Podcast.

“I think Lobb will be off to the Bulldogs eventually. There’s a lot of water to pass under the bridge there, but I think he passed up on the Saints and I believe the Bulldogs will land Lobb.”

As Lobb is contracted to the end of next season, he would have to be traded in order to find a new footy home.

While the Dockers are in the hint to finish inside the top four this season, they’re also set to be one of the most active during the upcoming AFL exchange period, with the club heavily linked to off-contract Demon Luke Jackson and his teammate Angus Brayshaw. In order to land the Demons duo, Fremantle would have to clear significant cap space – a move the club is willing to do, according to Ralph.

Lobb has been crucial to Fremantle’s stunning surge up the ladder this year, booting 30 goals from 16 games in a career-best season.

“Obviously I still have that year on my contract,” Lobb told 9 News Perth earlier this month when asked about his footy future.

“I don’t like to talk about up and coming years, I usually just focus on what’s happening throughout the year and right now it’s playing really good footy and trying to make finals and finishing as high as we can to give ourselves the best chance of winning a premiership.”

Asked if he saw his long-term future at the Dockers, Lobb said: “We’ll have to see. There’s a few things we’ve been working through.

“I’ve really been enjoying my footy this year. Injury-free so far touchwood. We’ll need to see what happens at the end of the year and right now it‘s just focusing on finals.”

Dockers coach Justin Longmuir on the weekend said Lobb still had a role to play for the club over the next two seasons.

“I’m really strong on the fact that Rory has got a year to run on his contract and he is a really important player to us,” Longmuir told SEN.

“Players like Rory, they are really important because they allow you to play two rucks and that extra tall forward at the same time. So, just really important to our structure.

“Like I’ve said all along, he is contracted. I see him playing at the club next year.”

Lobb has kicked 137 goals across his 135-game career with the Giants and Dockers so far.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know, their club is top 4 about to have a finals run and he's asking for a trade. Sounds like a bit of a Me, Me, Me kind of guy. Wouldn't you just play first and then ask for a trade if you wanted it? Good for us but shitty thing to do IMO.

4. Likes Yankee Hotel Foxtrot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    I don't know, their club is top 4 about to have a finals run and he's asking for a trade. Sounds like a bit of a Me, Me, Me kind of guy. Wouldn't you just play first and then ask for a trade if you wanted it? Good for us but shitty thing to do IMO.
    Agree but it did say Rory Lobb has reportedly informed Fremantle. Maybe just a journalist getting in quickly.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Agree but it did say Rory Lobb has reportedly informed Fremantle. Maybe just a journalist getting in quickly.
    True

Post Thanks / Like

To be fair he already asked for a trade last year and the reason for the trade is supposedly related to his partner wishing to relocate to the east coast. I'm not sure we have all the info to be judging him yet.

8. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He is being honest and giving them time to land Jackson its a win win. He is also playing the best footy of his career, it looks like he is maturing a little.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kruder View Post
    He is being honest and giving them time to land Jackson its a win win. He is also playing the best footy of his career, it looks like he is maturing a little.
    He has been their best forward this year by a long way. By the sounds of things deals may be a little more advanced. I'm sure Bob will be sayng if you must go East you need to land at the WB.

Post Thanks / Like

I think its clear he and his manager knew he was going to be pushed out to create salary cap space

I dont view it as him being selfish - IMHO hes just being a realist in a profession where he doesnt have that long remaining, and knows Jackson is their target - so his manager has been proactive. Dont get me wrong, Colin Young is also clever at leveraging players pre-agency to land them better and longer deals, but I dont see how this is on Lobb, when Freo are trying to clear his contract.

12. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Revolution View Post
    I think its clear he and his manager knew he was going to be pushed out to create salary cap space

I dont view it as him being selfish - IMHO hes just being a realist in a profession where he doesnt have that long remaining, and knows Jackson is their target - so his manager has been proactive. Dont get me wrong, Colin Young is also clever at leveraging players pre-agency to land them better and longer deals, but I dont see how this is on Lobb, when Freo are trying to clear his contract.
    I agree with all that but find it hard to believe that even with Jackson heading home Freo isn't a better side by keeping Lobb.
    If the numbers being mentioned are somewhat close that must be a mid tier player that Freo could squeeze out to keep Lobb.

Seems like he is gone though.

Jackson is an exciting player but I think he makes more of an impact as a ruckman than he does as a forward and this given them a lot of challenges with how they use Darcy.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

14. Likes boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Revolution View Post

Agree with this 100 per cent. I may have mentioned it once or twice but I have no problem with professional athletes looking out for themselves before the club.

Loyalty is nice and awesome and I celebrate it when it happens, but sometimes it won't get you your fourth or fifth house.

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Jackson is an exciting player but I think he makes more of an impact as a ruckman than he does as a forward and this given them a lot of challenges with how they use Darcy.
    But that's in the current setup at Melbourne. If he goes to Freo and works in tandem with Darcy and plays forward at other times, that's a scary combination.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with all that but find it hard to believe that even with Jackson heading home Freo isn't a better side by keeping Lobb.
    If the numbers being mentioned are somewhat close that must be a mid tier player that Freo could squeeze out to keep Lobb.

He also did try and seek a release at the end of last year if there was one available to be with his partner in Melbourne.

Post Thanks / Like

I think Freo are opting to keep their younger players over someone like Lobb with less time left but still enough to be of some value for another club. Between Darcy, Meek and Jackson they have enough ruck coverage and Taberner would be the main forward with one or two of the rucks down there with him.

There could be a space for Lobb as a pure forward for sure but if they need to create space in the cap it seems the best value move for them and their list going forward.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    But that's in the current setup at Melbourne. If he goes to Freo and works in tandem with Darcy and plays forward at other times, that's a scary combination.
    I agree he makes sides stronger but if the money being mentioned to get him back to WA is accurate it's a huge outlay for someone playing more as a forward and relief/back-up ruckman. He'll likely be getting the big dollars to be more of a supporting player.
    I don't know the answer to this but is he likely to kick 40 goals a season?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    I think Freo are opting to keep their younger players over someone like Lobb with less time left but still enough to be of some value for another club. Between Darcy, Meek and Jackson they have enough ruck coverage and Taberner would be the main forward with one or two of the rucks down there with him.

There could be a space for Lobb as a pure forward for sure but if they need to create space in the cap it seems the best value move for them and their list going forward.
    Getting rid of Lobb makes sense from a financial sense, but it leaves there forward-line very thin. Taberner goes ok, but he's 29 and never played over 17 games in a season so can't really be relied on and then it's just ruckman/ forwards with the names mentioned more rucks than forwards.

Anyway selling the farm for Jackson is Freo's concern and I hope we're sniffing around for a bargain in the fire-sale.

20. Likes GVGjr, hujsh liked this post