Thanks Thanks:  254
Likes Likes:  1,764
Page 46 of 175 FirstFirst ... 36373839404142434445464748495051525354555696146 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: List Managment thread (For 2022)

Sounds like Liam Jones has signed a three year deal with us according to Edmund on SEN

2. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kruder View Post
    Sounds like Liam Jones has signed a three year deal with us according to Edmund on SEN
    Interesting development if true and narrows or trade targets.

So if true do you think a Jones and lets assume Lobb bookend paring will strengthen the list to make us genuine contenders for 2023?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    So if true do you think a Jones and lets assume Lobb bookend paring will strengthen the list to make us genuine contenders for 2023?
    Maybe, but I wouldn't be comfortable with those 2 recruits alone.

Some are calling for Darcy - he's 18 yo. He isn't impacting our ability to win the flag in 2023.

If Keath was in ripping form I'd be fine with Lobb and Jones, but he looks terrible. I really think we need to find 2 - Jones and somebody else. I'm fine with us trying to cherry pick some cheap options (i.e. Hamling IF he was fit and willing) but we need multiple options.
    W00F!

5. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes I do. The only worry is who misses out in forward line...IF...all playing well?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kruder View Post
    How does that work logistically? Just a free agent type arrangement? We don't have to draft him? #confused.

I don't get the 3 years either. He will be 32! before the season starts. So will be 34 in the last year.

Post Thanks / Like

Asking a lot of Jones but if he and Keath were able to recapture their 2021 form, and Lobb has a similar year to this year, we should by all rights be a top 4 side. My biggest concern with our defence is it takes time to develop cohesiveness. I’m worried we’re a year or two from it really clicking and by then, it’s too late.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    How does that work logistically? Just a free agent type arrangement? We don't have to draft him? #confused.
    Yes would be signed during the delisted free agency period they have every year prior to the draft (eg the cats signed Stengle last year through this).

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, we don't need to draft him he is effectively a FA signing. Carlton might put their had up for compensation but would be lucky to receive anything as he retired from them.

11. Thanks Grantysghost thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Definitely does address areas of need. So on that front can't complain.

Age wise I guess is the biggest issue. We clearly think we are close to a flag with this list.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, we don't need to draft him he is effectively a FA signing. Carlton might put their had up for compensation but would be lucky to receive anything as he retired from them.
    Like Mal Michael to Essendon ( i think ).

Actually they got him in the pre-season draft.

Post Thanks / Like

Carlton have already put their hand up for such compo. The contract may not be sufficient to trigger anything anyway, maybe a third round pick at best.

15. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Like Mal Michael to Essendon ( i think ).

Actually they got him in the pre-season draft.
    I don't think the delisted free agency period existed back then and I already provided an example.

17. Thanks Grantysghost thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't get the 3 years either. He will be 32! before the season starts. So will be 34 in the last year.
    Lake was a similar age profile when he went to ther Hawks, and he was never exactly a ripping athletic specimen - it didn't seem to slow him down in his 3rd year at the Hawks. He was definitely cooked straight after though.

I'm uncomfortable with 3 years but if we win a flag in the first year I can live with it. And really that's what this decision is about, giving us the best chance at a premiership in the next year or two. Jones isn't a panacea on his own but he is a good start in filling our key defensive holes and giving us depth in that part of the ground.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

19. Likes EasternWest, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

2 years with a trigger for a 3rd year makes sense...if that is the case.

Post Thanks / Like

Definitely does address areas of need. So on that front can't complain.

Age wise I guess is the biggest issue. We clearly think we are close to a flag with this list.
    I'm not too fussed on the age of a player especially if it's because we think we have the list to really challenge for a top 4 spot next year. If we think Jones is fit enough and has the desire to work his backside off to help the side challenge for a flag then it should sort itself out.

The bigger picture is looking at the whole list of defenders and where adding Jones might create some challenges in the short term.
    Duryea and Keath are already over 30, if Treloar is a back man now he will be 30 next year and Crozier, Hannan and O'Brien will be 29 next year.

Adding Jones won't be an issue if he is fit but it does reinforce to me that we need to draft at least one tallish defender this year.

22. Likes Dry Rot liked this post