Thanks Thanks:  254
Likes Likes:  1,764
Page 53 of 175 FirstFirst ... 3434445464748495051525354555657585960616263103153 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: List Managment thread (For 2022)

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Although it's a shame Dunkley looks likely to leave because he's a good player, at this point I'm kind of fed up with his narrative.

He isn't irreplaceable - horrendous kick and slow. He's limited.

I get it's not that simple because he's a ball winner, solid defensively, can take a mark and kick a goal ... but his type isn't the hardest to replace.
    If you lined the 2 of them up against a wall who would you take right now between Dunkley and Macrae?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    I think Dunkleys worth sticks out a lot more when we play bad, he seems to be still having a crack.

I think he'll be a big loss to the club.
    Tend to agree. This was again evident on Saturday night.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

3. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josie View Post
    Anyone a little worried we have not had Baz sign up yet? His firm has been down but it would be horrible to lose him, especially if we lose Dunkley.
    Can I be a broken record and put out there Smith to Sydney?

5. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    If we lose Smith and Dunkley wind the joint up.

7. Likes bornadog, Boots liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Is this a rumour you heard to Sydney, or you speculating?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Is this a rumour you heard to Sydney, or you speculating?
    Speculating big time.

Sydney would have a lot of marketing money to spend once Franklin retires and Bailey Smith would be the perfect marketing product.

Post Thanks / Like

Speculating big time.

Sydney would have a lot of marketing money to spend once Franklin retires and Bailey Smith would be the perfect marketing product.
    He said he is staying, and I believe him.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

11. Thanks josie thanked for this post
    Likes kruder liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    I think Dunkleys worth sticks out a lot more when we play bad, he seems to be still having a crack.

I think he'll be a big loss to the club.
    Yep his goal kicking seems to have improved too.

13. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think we can afford to lose Dunkley or Smith.

If Dunks goes we lose defensive output in the middle. It's only really him, Bont and Libba who tackle in the middle and TBH it's only Libba who can be relied on to deliver that pressure around the ground.

If Smith goes we lose pace on the outside. We saw how flat-footed we were without him while he was suspended. Everyone else is burst run, not sustained run and carry.

If we lose either we will need to re-orient our game plan to something much more chip-and-mark oriented and we don't have the tools for that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Boots View Post
    I don't think we can afford to lose Dunkley or Smith.
    Well, if we do we wont be given a couple of season's grace to sort things out...

I don't want to lose either player but if they do both leave it isn't as if we can do much about it - putting our best 'fiscally responsible' offer on the table is all we can really do!
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Dunkley leaving at least means we don't have to waste time talking about trying to placate him. Considering Hunter looks on the outer as well, we could be in a good position to reallocate money and rebalance our side.

For Dunkley I'd be pushing for Ports 1st, Willem Drew and we give back some pick to balance it out. They get peanut butter cups and shameless instagram plugs, we get a solid 23 year old mid who covers the ground well and is happy to sacrifice his game with 50 games under his belt.

Hunter would leave for stuff all, maybe a pick in the 30s. Frees up cap space though.

JJ would free up cap space also, although any offer we are planning for him would not be big anyway. Can't see any obvious suitors though so i imagine he'll stay. Crozier should also be looking around, but I imagine he'd be even less attractive than JJ for other clubs, and unfortunately is contracted.

If Smith does go (still cannot believe how little talk about him there has been, he would be a genuinely huge coup for anyone and bigger than the Cerra deal last year), then that would sting a lot. You'd have to hope we would push for two first rounders, and while it would be bad to lose him the currency we would have both in allocated salary (at least $600k) plus trade capital would be huge.

Based on the above we could have as many as 5 first rounders to play with (ours, our 2023 one, Ports, 2xSmith).

Lobb is basically locked in and I expect we will be able to do it for pick 20ish.

Jones is obviously locked in for free (if Carlton gets the FA thing though he would wash any "compensation" we got for JJ).

Should be aiming to pry a good key defender prospect out of a club with the extra dollars and first round picks. Unsure who to target (who would be gettable?).

Some candidates could be
    -Sam Taylor. My first pick. Don't think he is overly gettable but no coach atm to convince him on the GWS project, and that club loves losing players.
    -Noah Balta. Why not? Super talented, is probably pretty comfy but we should ask the question as he is ideal and seems to be playing this weird ineffective forward role.
    -Paddy McCartin. Pretty sure he is a free agent, is much cheaper than the others and especially if the Swans are the club into Bailey Smith then maybe there isn't as much cash there as here.
    -Brennan Cox. Really good mark for his size, kind of unsung which hopefully lowers the price, and has been a first choice key back there for a few years now so is clearly good.
    -Ben McKay. North is a hard place to shine. I'm not sold on him but ticks most of the boxes apart from the whole "not actually sure if he's any good" one.
    -Griffin Logue. Unsure on him, he's clearly talented but has hardly proven himself as an AFL key defender and is a touch short. He's a decent prospect but its more potential than realised atm.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

17. Thanks GVGjr, azabob, josie thanked for this post
    Likes Happy Days, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Well, if we do we wont be given a couple of season's grace to sort things out...

I don't want to lose either player but if they do both leave it isn't as if we can do much about it - putting our best 'fiscally responsible' offer on the table is all we can really do!
    Except if its for Liam Jones... Staggered we are offering three years to meet his financial terms.

Post Thanks / Like

Except if its for Liam Jones... Staggered we are offering three years to meet his financial terms.
    We really don't know the contract for Jones, the 3rd year might be largely based on performance.
    I agree that 2 years would have been ideal but 3 years might not be a huge stumbling block.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I'm going by what Bains recently said on radio. I think it has been posted somewhere here. Both Bazza and Dunks to stay in my very very humble opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    I'm going by what Bains recently said on radio. I think it has been posted somewhere here. Both Bazza and Dunks to stay in my very very humble opinion.
    Thats my read of the situation - if something changes then we will find out - but I think we are in a good position to keep both