Thanks Thanks:  254
Likes Likes:  1,764
Page 58 of 175 FirstFirst ... 8484950515253545556575859606162636465666768108158 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: List Managment thread (For 2022)

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Talented enough player but it would have to be regarded as a risky addition.
    Who would he replace?
    Whoever is playing our small defensive forward role. McNeil and JJ have been in this role at times this year so we would need to see a defensive mindset shift from that role to one that is more attacking. Not sure who goes to the opposition's gun HB if this happens though.

Bevo has been good with the Indigenous boys, actually the entire club has over the past 5 years.

2. Likes GVGjr, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Whoever is playing our small defensive forward role. McNeil and JJ have been in this role at times this year so we would need to see a defensive mindset shift from that role to one that is more attacking. Not sure who goes to the opposition's gun HB if this happens though.

Bevo has been good with the Indigenous boys, actually the entire club has over the past 5 years.
    I would take him.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Would love to get Willie Rioli. Don’t think that West Coast have gotten the most out of him and that he can be a far more dynamic player if he’s allowed further out from goal.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

5. Likes GVGjr, hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Would love to get Willie Rioli. Don’t think that West Coast have gotten the most out of him and that he can be a far more dynamic player if he’s allowed further out from goal.
    Lets go for both Rioli and Ryan.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    And Goldstein and McCartin.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    So a forward line with Rioli, Ryan, Naughton, Marra and Weightman! Who would win Mark of the Year?

Last edited by SquirrelGrip; 04-08-2022 at 03:24 PM.
    "I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."

9. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ladies and Gentleman, I give you Mr Matthew Rendell...

WHAT PORT SHOULD GIVE UP FOR DUNKLEY AND THE “BIG ISSUE” SURROUNDING FANTASIA

Port Adelaide remains linked with Western Bulldogs midfielder Josh Dunkley.

The out-of-contract 25-year-old is yet to re-commit to the Bulldogs who have reportedly offered him a long-term deal.

Dunkley is on the radar of the Power, but what would they have to give up to get him to Alberton?

Matt Rendell speculated about what would be a fair trade for the 112-game premiership Dog.

“Dunkley has been talked about a lot,” Rendell said on SEN SA’s The Run Home.

“I think Dunkley is a good pick if they can get him, but I wouldn’t be offering any more than a second-round (pick).

“They (the Dogs) wanted two first (rounders) off Essendon a couple of years ago.

“Dunkley is out of contract, so Port can walk him to the pre-season (draft) if they want. They won’t want to.”

There are plenty of clubs who are reportedly keen on Dunkley with Adelaide and Port as well as big Victorian clubs showing interest.

While Dunkley would provide plenty of midfield depth for Port, a position they need strengthening is in the area of the small forward.

11. Likes Yankee Hotel Foxtrot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Its special work

Post Thanks / Like

Port currently don't have a 2nd round pick but a 2nd rounder could very well be their starting point.
    Letting him walk into the pre-season draft when North have the first pick and Adelaide pick before them wouldn't be smart by Port.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

“Port can walk him to the pre season draft” where they currently have what pick 8?

15. Likes hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    Since our premiership in 2016 there have been 6 trade/draft periods. The following has happened in terms of player acquisitions;

- Only 10 youngsters recruited in the top 40 of any of these drafts
    - Only 3 youngsters in the last 3 drafts in the top 40
    I'd like to add further to my post #818 supporting the need for more quality youth coming into the club this recruiting/trade period (and beyond). This post had a look at what we have done in terms of recruiting youngsters into our club since we won the premiership in 2016. The following post will look at the other end of the list, the older players and what lies ahead.

The Veterans

As it stands now, there would be 9 players if retained on our list beyond 2022 who would be 30+ next season;

Treloar, Wallis, Martin, Crozier, Duryea, Bruce, Liberatore, Johannisen, Keath

How many of these will be on the list next year? How many beyond 2023? The only certainty beyond then would be Treloar as he will have only completed 3 years of his 5 year contract.

According to reports we will be recruiting Lobb 30 and Liam Jones 32 on 3 year deals to add to our veteran category.

In 2021 when we made the Grand Final we had just 3 players in the team that were 30+. In 2016 we also had just 3 players who were 30+ in our premiership winning team.

Coming up behind them is the next layer of senior players who will be 29 next year;

Hunter, Hannan, Macrae, O’Brien

Macrae aside, will the others be be on the list beyond next year?

Our 2022 list is getting older. Most of our veterans are feeling the pinch or are in/out of the team. Does anyone think any of them could be a premiership player like Morris or Matty Boyd at the age of 34? It is most conceivable that the majority of the bolded players above will have retired or be moved on if not this year then almost certainly by the end of the 2023 season. Then we also have the likelihood of players not on this list being traded out and other younger players being delisted. So we are potentially looking at a major transition of the list in the next year or two.

The great thing about our list is the strength of our 'in their prime' or coming 'into their prime' players led by Bont, Dale, English, Dunkley, Smith, Daniel, Naughton etc who have many years ahead of them. It is important we retain the likes of Smith, Dunkley and West. Note that all these players were all drafted by the Bulldogs. Our premiership team had 19/22 Bulldog draftees in it & Tom Boyd was a 2nd year player when he joined us. It was a fairly young side.

We have some big decisions to make. The club, despite our wobbly season this year, is well in the premiership window. We have Lobb and Jones incoming as senior players to help with that challenge, but unless there is a super young player (like Boyd) that addresses a need we should be hitting the draft hard and bring in more quality youngsters to learn from the likes of Bont, Naughts and co while they are in their prime. It will give us a refresh and bring in some youthful exuberance. It can be catchy.
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

17. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Did someone leave the gate to the nursing home open again?
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

19. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Seriously what is going on with Smith. It’s Round 21, he’s one of the most high profile players in the AFL and there is no noise anywhere about him.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    Did someone leave the gate to the nursing home open again?
    Reading the article, he says nothing
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Seriously what is going on with Smith. It’s Round 21, he’s one of the most high profile players in the AFL and there is no noise anywhere about him.
    Not sure what the delay is but the lack of noise is comforting to me. No smoke, no fire hopefully. Not much gets past the footy media in these situations so if there was anything to worry about surely we would be hearing something?