Thanks Thanks:  254
Likes Likes:  1,764
Page 61 of 175 FirstFirst ... 11515253545556575859606162636465666768697071111161 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: List Managment thread (For 2022)

From David King

The Western Bulldogs’ final hopes are now in the hands of fate following their loss to Fremantle on Saturday.

The Round 21 loss was a demoralising one for Dogs fans, as the Dockers kicked their way through Luke Beveridge’s set-up with ease.

The side’s defensive system across the ground broke down again. Since the bye, they’ve conceded 94+ points on six ocassions, the latest 17-point defeat coming after Fremantle kicked nine first-half goals.

The Dogs have been linked with two main targets in the upcoming trade period, one of which is former Carlton defender Liam Jones.

Jones is reported to have been enticed by a three-year deal from the Dogs and will likely sign with them when the trade period opens in October, a recruit King is supportive of.

“I understand (the play for) Jones, I 100 per cent understand because they need a key post defender that can play on a man and still beat that guy and intercept,” King said on SEN’s Whateley.

“They’re a hard combination to find, and when you find them, you hang onto them. So Jones is that man.

“I don’t know whether he’s too old or past his best or whatever but the product we saw at Carlton 18 months ago is that guy.”

But the dual-premiership Kangaroo was far less positive about the club’s links to Dockers tall Rory Lobb.

Lobb is under contract with Fremantle but will reportedly pursue a move away from the club again after almost joining GWS last year.

The Dogs have confirmed interest in Lobb. However, he’d join Aaron Naughton, Jamarra Ugle-Hagan and Josh Bruce in an already top-heavy forward line.

Sam Darcy is also touted as a forward but debuted in defence for the Dogs on Saturday evening.

“(The play for) Lobb I don’t understand because I think they’ve got that player, they’ve got a few of that player,” King continued.

“What does that look like? Does Darcy go forward next year and replace Bruce and they go younger again? You can’t have Jones, (Alex) Keath and Darcy (in the backline), it’s too tall.”

Lobb kicked four goals for Fremantle on Saturday to be the best forward on the ground.

If they are to play in September, the Dogs will need wins against GWS and Hawthorn and rely on other results going in their favour.

However, just scraping into the finals won’t cover up a subpar season after playing in last year’s Grand Final.

“So I don’t know how it’s going to look next year, all I know is the way they set up this year, they don’t win the ball back in their midzone of the field, which means the pressure is on their back six constantly and they’re not good enough to handle that level of pressure,” King concluded.

“They’ve been awful as a one-on-one defence. You had to make a decision, you either cut the supply or support back. They’ve done neither, and that’s why they find themselves where they are on the AFL table.”

Carlton and Richmond need just one more win to sink the Dogs’ final hopes, while St Kilda requires two wins to feature in September given their inferior percentage.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

2. Thanks azabob, josie thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    From David King

However, just scraping into the finals won’t cover up a subpar season after playing in last year’s Grand Final.

“So I don’t know how it’s going to look next year, all I know is the way they set up this year, they don’t win the ball back in their midzone of the field, which means the pressure is on their back six constantly and they’re not good enough to handle that level of pressure,” King concluded.

“They’ve been awful as a one-on-one defence. You had to make a decision, you either cut the supply or support back. They’ve done neither, and that’s why they find themselves where they are on the AFL table.”

[/I]
    Thanks for posting this transcript.

In all seriousness if you haven't listened to the audio you should. He touches on a couple of other points around our system and strategy needs to change.

A few media heads (ex-players) were fairly scathing of our performance on the weekend.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

4. Likes MrMahatma, Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post

In all seriousness if you haven't listened to the audio you should. He touches on a couple of other points around our system and strategy needs to change.

A few media heads (ex-players) were fairly scathing of our performance on the weekend.
    My wife's happy. No footy shows this week. Hooray.

6. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Agree, plenty of what King raises have been said on here over the last few days. If anyone wants to listen to what Aza referred to use the link and and fast forward to around the 33 minute mark where the discussions move towards the Dogs.

Post Thanks / Like

It was obvious to anyone at the ground that it was a complete system break down, there I no doubt about it. As I said on the day it felt like I was watching Essendon defensively and says it all IMO.

I agree with MJP, a plug and play option won't fix our issue( I still think its the most talented list we have ever had) but I still think attitude, collaboration and a united group can help make Bevo's job a little easier going forward.

A player like Keath for example, I know he might be following instructions but at some point in that game I'm going F##K the grid I'm just going to man up on that short lead it has been killing us all game.

Pendles on Friday night, instead of staying in grid formation, he knew they would come inside to Trak and he just took away that option. Thats bloody leadership, we need to see more of it from our group.

Post Thanks / Like

Kingy makes some really good points. The Lobb situation is interesting. I wonder whether Bruce will call time or the match committee think Bruce will call time next year if his body doesn't come up. Having gone this year in one short in the forward line Lobb is an insurance policy that means someone will miss out.

Re the backline, I think Darcy will be great, but he is still young and there will be games where he is dropped or misses. If he plays 11 games next season that would be a good result, so the Jones/Keath/Gardiner/Cordy options remain. To me the interesting one is Tim O'Brien - you have to say he has been a bust this season.

Post Thanks / Like

O’Brien has been a complete and utter bust. At least he was a FA and didn’t cost us anything in the trade. Another year in the magoos for him next year and that’d round off possibly our worst acquisition in a decade.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    O’Brien has been a complete and utter bust. At least he was a FA and didn’t cost us anything in the trade. Another year in the magoos for him next year and that’d round off possibly our worst acquisition in a decade.
    Bevo must’ve seen something when he was at the Hawks.

Agree he played a couple of decent games but otherwise an abject failure.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: O’Brien, he took 11+ marks against us in Launceston last year in his best game ever as an intercept marker. We jumped on the bandwagon and signed him up. Unfortunately he doesn’t get to play on our fwds every week.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

13. Thanks Grantysghost, 1eyedog thanked for this post
    Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Who could’ve seen that coming though (me I could have).
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

15. Likes Grantysghost, chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He got off to a slow start with an injury early and didn't really have a pre-season like he needed.
    I think it was a speculative move about giving us some depth than a best 22 week after week scenario when we added him but he might be able to play some roles for us next season.

Post Thanks / Like

He got off to a slow start with an injury early and didn't really have a pre-season like he needed.
    I think it was a speculative move about giving us some depth than a best 22 week after week scenario when we added him but he might be able to play some roles for us next season.
    Agree completely, O'Brien was recruited with the hope that he might excel down back, but mainly to provide depth. He's played 11 games and didn't look out of place. If we had better quality in our two first-choice key defenders then I'd guess we'd be viewing his acquisition in a much different light.
    'And the Western suburbs erupt!'

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scorlibo View Post
    Agree completely, O'Brien was recruited with the hope that he might excel down back, but mainly to provide depth. He's played 11 games and didn't look out of place. If we had better quality in our two first-choice key defenders then I'd guess we'd be viewing his acquisition in a much different light.
    Agree with this and by only offering him a two year deal suggests we don't see him as a first choice defender.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Based on Kings comments above does the recruitment of Lobb pose some challenges given we already have Naughton, Bruce, Ugle-Hagan and potentially Darcy? I'm assuming that Schache will be let go.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, well.

We are a pretty easy target right now. The criticism of our defenders has reached plague proportions. Geelong, Freo and Melbourne are miles ahead of everyone on the Points Against ladder...I guess Sydney, Port and Carlton are in that next 'group'....after 20 games though if you are trying to tell me there is a massive difference between having 1690 points against and 1600 points against (it's 4.5 points a game in a comp with an uneven draw + throw in injuries, suspensions etc...

Do we need to defend 'better'? Well - we need to be able to grit our teeth and prevent opposition sides kicking 5 goals in a hurry - but outside of that we are clearly not as good as the best 3 but not a lot worse than those who come next.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

21. Likes Bulldog Revolution, bornadog, Dry Rot liked this post