Thanks Thanks:  254
Likes Likes:  1,764
Page 64 of 175 FirstFirst ... 14545556575859606162636465666768697071727374114164 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: List Managment thread (For 2022)

Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post
    We get a ruckman.

I think we could find a ruckman who is better in the centre than English, and English would be a hell of a lot better in our fwd line than Lobb.

The BEST our fwd line has looked over the years was at the beginning of last year…Naughton, English and Bruce.

Martin in the ruck…so if we could just find a ruckman who is as good as Martin in the centre.
    English's value is his around the ground work
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Thanks Bulldog4life thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    English's value is his around the ground work
    Yep, I get that, but we have dysfunction fwd and back, and we need to sort out this first and foremost…
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

So we don't want Lobb, but we also don't want a ruckman Bevo won't play (like Sweet).

Who's available that we might want then?

We all think Bruce is at least a small to maybe medium chance of being cooked post knee, but we don't really know. But we don't want insurance for him who Bevo will actually play alongside him or possibly in lieu of him because it might cost us a bit too much at the trade table even though it's a dreadfully difficult position on a list to fill.

What do we actually want?

If we don't get Lobb then we'll be stuck with the same circular argument about playing Sweet as main ruck and Tim forward that we've had around here over the past two years and that's not good for anyone's sanity. Recruiting Lobb will be a mercy mission for this place!
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

5. Likes Grantysghost, hujsh, Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    So we don't want Lobb, but we also don't want a ruckman Bevo won't play (like Sweet).

We all think Bruce is at least a small to maybe medium chance of being cooked post knee, but we don't really know. But we don't want insurance for him who Bevo will actually play alongside him or possibly in lieu of him because it might cost us a bit too much at the trade table even though it's a dreadfully difficult position on a list to fill.

If we don't get Lobb then we'll be stuck with the same circular argument about playing Sweet as main ruck and Tim forward that we've had around here over the past two years and that's not good for anyone's sanity. Recruiting Lobb will be a mercy mission for this place!
    I'm on team Goldy, but that would require an honest conversation about English and his true worth for the betterment of the team. Likewise the see-ball get-ball mids need to have an honest conversation about changing their role to better assist the team.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

7. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    I'm on team Goldy, but that would require an honest conversation about English and his true worth for the betterment of the team. Likewise the see-ball get-ball mids need to have an honest conversation about changing their role to better assist the team.
    I don't really get why Tim is so reluctant to take that forward ruck role.
    Got me stuffed.

9. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Well I'm already on record as saying getting Grundy is what I'd consider doing, and have that same conversation with English.

Don't get me started on the mids!

Post Thanks / Like

It's probably not the reality but I imagine a Moneyball scenario between Power and Bevo ala Billy Beane and Art Howe. I feel like Power is saying, if you refuse to play two genuine ruckmen I'm going to go out and get a key position player that is a genuine ruckman and give you no other option.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post

Sweet is a back-up to English but on occasions an option to play in tandem with English. He is a support player and Bevo will play him when needed. We still need to find another ruckman to replace Martin.

I think Lobb fits the need of what we might want in terms of being an effective forward and providing a good chop out option for English but the rise of Ugle-Hagan later this season after an underwhelming 2021 (for good reasons) and the emergence of Darcy if he was to be played forward could create some challenges.

Now if we are prepared to play Bruce more on merit, and history doesn't really support that, then that changes things and to me makes Lobb a bit more if an enticing option but I'm just not confident we would be prepared to drop Bruce particularly early next season.

To me we can't play all of Naughton, Lobb, Bruce and Ugle-Hagan up forward but I think Lobb has the potential to be our 2nd best tall forward next year. Lets assume he starts next season ahead of Marra, how confident are you that the number one key forward for Fremantle could be an effective number 3 tall forward for us? It may not be an easy adjustment.

When I read a top heavy list of 6 forwards that has Lobb on the bench I don't see that working.

For me it comes down to if we really think adding Lobb and Jones is going to make us a top 5 side next year. If so then I'm just about sold on it, if it isn't likely to result in that sort of lift I'm a lot more cautious.

Landing Lobb (or someone else) last year as a replacement for the long term injury to Bruce should have been our focus. With the emergence of Marra and the return of Bruce to me makes it a bit more complicated.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I agree we need a replacement for Stef, and I hope we get one.

As for finding someone like Lobb to replace Bruce this year, it might be that you have to put a lot of work into landing players like that and be into them for a long time like it appears we have been with Lobb. It may have been a hard ask for us to get someone of his quality in given the fact Bruce did his knee with three weeks of the home and away season left.

Post Thanks / Like

I recon we need to chase hard and get a leader. I would love a Selwood, Viney, Ward to support Bont and drag the team forward when in need.

I think we can cover forward of the ball, midfield and a ruck

The two focus areas have you be a hard edged leader and a KPB folllwed closely by a tactical coach to support Bevo.
    BB.

Looking forward - Naughton, Darcy and JUH. It will be the envy of everyone.

Post Thanks / Like

We should be getting the second Freo ruck (Meek?) not Lobb
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bumper Bulldogs View Post
    a tactical coach to support Bevo.
    There's an odd BF rumour that will be Leon Cameron.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bumper Bulldogs View Post
    I recon we need to chase hard and get a leader. I would love a Selwood, Viney, Ward to support Bont and drag the team forward when in need.

I think we can cover forward of the ball, midfield and a ruck

The two focus areas have you be a hard edged leader and a KPB folllwed closely by a tactical coach to support Bevo.
    Cal Ward back at the kennel. Now I’d like to see that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Cal Ward back at the kennel. Now I’d like to see that.
    So would I along with Peter Foster to our backline, Chris Grant and Lally Bamblett in our forward line and Liam Picken wherever he wants.

I'd like to see that
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

19. Likes jeemak, bornadog, azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I really can't get a gauge on what we would need to give up for Lobb. He's had a very consistent year and ideally we would have grabbed him last year as a Bruce replacement. Coming to us next season given Bruce should have fully recovered by then and with the emergence of Ugle-Hagan the fit isn't quite as good for us looking forward.
    He would make us better in the short term which is worth considering but I suspect we would need to be prepared to hold Marra and potentially Darcy back a bit next season and that could be problematic. As King pointed out we already have a tall forward line so unless we make the highly unlikely decision to move Naughton or Bruce back we have have 4 or 5 players looking at 3 positions.

Freo should be asking us for our 2nd rounder for Lobb and it depends on how badly they need to rid themselves of his salary to see if there is some flexibility in that. For the life on me I can't see why they wouldn't want to keep him and there must be some others players they can clear to manage their salary cap.
    Agree. Lobb was the ideal recruit LAST year when we knew hat we would have a year without Bruce.

The only way I see us fitting him in the forward line if Bruce is fit is if Naughton goes back to CHB. I am generally against this, but if this has the effect of strengthening our back 6 and still allowing our forward line to function great!