Thanks Thanks:  254
Likes Likes:  1,764
Page 67 of 175 FirstFirst ... 17575859606162636465666768697071727374757677117167 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,005 of 2625
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: List Managment thread (For 2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Marra is in his second year, it's not like Sam will be the big dog he will have big bodies around him.
    Marra is a completely different player who is able to play more like a medium forward than a true KPF at this stage due to his agility. Darcy isn't likely to be sharking ground balls and snapping goals over his shoulder.

Also if Marra and Sam are both playing forward they will probably only have 1 other big body in there at any given time.

I can't think of too many players physically similar to Darcy that have been able to be successful as a ruck or KPF so early in their development.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I've read a few articles about Barrass and he doesn't appear to be making any noise about leaving. In fact he's been mentioning some leadership ambitions at the club.
    Have you located anything that indicates he is looking to leave?

He's a terrific player I just wonder if he is really a chance to leave.
    We have a certain chalice that might help meet those ambitions. Sure some of the people who drank of it had some... stomach issues lets say, but he'll be fine I'm sure.

Post Thanks / Like

I've read a few articles about Barrass and he doesn't appear to be making any noise about leaving. In fact he's been mentioning some leadership ambitions at the club.
    Have you located anything that indicates he is looking to leave?

He's a terrific player I just wonder if he is really a chance to leave.
    Not really. The only thing I’ve been reading is that our recruiters have been in his ear as well as his management. How true that is, no idea. I just hope we are doing our due diligence and getting out there. It’s obvious we need QUALITY defensive players, and I hope we leave no stone unturned in our search. If we just settle for a 30 year old Jones, I’d be disappointed.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    With another preseaon under his belt why can't Darcy be that 2nd ruck/forward?
    Relying on a 19 year old - is that ok?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Can you imagine someone like Preuss wanting to line him up?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

6. Likes Jasper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We need to make sure he develops slowly slowly as his body is still growing. Put on 5cm this year alone and he turns 19 next week, so in theory could still grow.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Preuss would probably fall over and concuss himself on his own knee.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

9. Likes hujsh, chef, WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post
    Not really. The only thing I’ve been reading is that our recruiters have been in his ear as well as his management. How true that is, no idea. I just hope we are doing our due diligence and getting out there. It’s obvious we need QUALITY defensive players, and I hope we leave no stone unturned in our search. If we just settle for a 30 year old Jones, I’d be disappointed.
    For sure. If Melbourne could attract Lever and May when they were still shithouse it's not an impossible task to point at our previous performances, point at the void that is our defence, then hold up a picture of Brian Lake with his third premiership cup. Someone should hopefully find that notion appealing.

11. Likes DOG GOD, CarnTheScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Yeah I'd be happy to develop him next season around the firsts. He's too good to be playing VFL already IMO. And it's more than likely Bruce would be 2nd rucking anyway.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post
    We get a ruckman.

I think we could find a ruckman who is better in the centre than English, and English would be a hell of a lot better in our fwd line than Lobb.

The BEST our fwd line has looked over the years was at the beginning of last year…Naughton, English and Bruce.

Martin in the ruck…so if we could just find a ruckman who is as good as Martin in the centre.

The Jones/Lobb enquires just reeks desperation on our behalf.
    Kieran Strauhan from the Crows, easily. More mobile than ROB, arguably the best ruck going around who isn't getting senior SFL time
    I suspect we're going to stick by English as the no 1 man, Bevo loves his work around the ground
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    Yeah I'd be happy to develop him next season around the firsts. He's too good to be playing VFL already IMO. And it's more than likely Bruce would be 2nd rucking anyway.
    Well that doesn't solve the 2nd ruck roll. I don't like Bruce in the ruck.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Kieran Strauhan from the Crows, easily. More mobile than ROB, arguably the best ruck going around who isn't getting senior SFL time
    I suspect we're going to stick by English as the no 1 man, Bevo loves his work around the ground
    Yeah it seems that way.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Marra is a completely different player who is able to play more like a medium forward than a true KPF at this stage due to his agility. Darcy isn't likely to be sharking ground balls and snapping goals over his shoulder.

Also if Marra and Sam are both playing forward they will probably only have 1 other big body in there at any given time.

I can't think of too many players physically similar to Darcy that have been able to be successful as a ruck or KPF so early in their development.
    Max King kicked 38 goals in his second season. Very similar types. I don't think it's an issue.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Max King kicked 38 goals in his second season. Very similar types. I don't think it's an issue.
    I did think of the King brothers but they are the exceptions, not the rule.

Is there a chance Darcy could be effective in that role next season? Yes. Are the odds historically stacked against him? Also yes.

The vast majority of the young, really tall skinny types just can't consistently compete against the more mature bodies in what is the most difficult position on the ground in their first few years.

18. Likes GVGjr, Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    I did think of the King brothers but they are the exceptions, not the rule.

Is there a chance Darcy could be effective in that role next season? Yes. Are the odds historically stacked against him? Also yes.

The vast majority of the young, really tall skinny types just can't consistently compete against the more mature bodies in what is the most difficult position on the ground in their first few years.
    King brothers don't compete with anyone else within their own team as a Big Forward.

20. Likes azabob liked this post