Thanks Thanks:  254
Likes Likes:  1,764
Page 21 of 175 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617181920212223242526272829303171121 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: List Managment thread (For 2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Hunter too… obviously has had his off-field issues which wouldn’t have helped, but his output has dropped off after signing a similar length contract.
    Depends what the payoff is though.

I guess the two big bargaining chips you have to offer as a club is salary and years, the more of one means the less of another. Maybe 5x$500K is what he signed instead of 3x$650K or whatever.

The protection against the likes of JJ and Hunters underperformance is that you are paying them under market value, so I guess in a way if they regress a little they are still being paid appropriately for that output.

This is the way to work within the salary cap I guess, you either risk a longer term contract to fit everyone in or are forced to cut someone.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Long contract but the penny has dropped and I think we’ll get good value out of him over the deal, particularly if the trade off was less per year over a longer period.

He’s truly an elite half back flanker now and probably the best ball user by foot in the game.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupman View Post

I guess the two big bargaining chips you have to offer as a club is salary and years, the more of one means the less of another. Maybe 5x$500K is what he signed instead of 3x$650K or whatever.

The protection against the likes of JJ and Hunters underperformance is that you are paying them under market value, so I guess in a way if they regress a little they are still being paid appropriately for that output.

This is the way to work within the salary cap I guess, you either risk a longer term contract to fit everyone in or are forced to cut someone.
    Normally I agree. With JJ I think he did very very well contract length and $ wise. Right time, right place with his individual performance and the teams performance.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Normally I agree. With JJ I think he did very very well contract length and $ wise. Right time, right place with his individual performance and the teams performance.
    Pretty sure the JJ deal was signed at the Railway hotel on GF night after about 20 beers, we just didn’t announce it until later
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

5. Likes Happy Days, azabob, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm pretty happy that we've signed 2 x 25yo's with AA pedigree, who are 2 of our most effective ball users, through the back half of their 20's. Not irreplaceable players, but rewarding good players you've nurtured from being drafted isn't a bad thing.

7. Likes EasternWest, azabob, The Doctor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Also - weren’t there reports that Dale was signing on less than market value? I could definitely choose to believe that.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Underdog View Post
    I'm pretty happy that we've signed 2 x 25yo's with AA pedigree, who are 2 of our most effective ball users, through the back half of their 20's. Not irreplaceable players, but rewarding good players you've nurtured from being drafted isn't a bad thing.
    Yep agree entirely. I reckon they both would have signed for less than they're worth on the open market given the length of the deals. Good club men.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Also - weren’t there reports that Dale was signing on less than market value? I could definitely choose to believe that.
    #nottraitors
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Toby McLean: 2022
    Josh Dunkley: 2022
    Tim English: 2022

Rhylee West: 2022
    Alex Keath: 2022
    Josh Schache: 2022
    Bailey Smith: 2022
    Mitch Hannan: 2022
    Dominic Bedendo: 2022
    Louis Butler: 2022
    Riley Garcia: 2022
    Zaine Cordy: 2022
    Taylor Duryea: 2022
    Buku Khamis: 2022 (Rookie)
    Mitch Wallis: 2022
    Stefan Martin: 2022
    Charlie Parker: 2022 (Rookie)
    Robbie McComb: 2022 (Rookie)
    Cody Raak: 2022 (Rookie)

Who is in danger of not being signed up?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupman View Post

Yep, it's a balancing act for sure... however for ''outside'' players there is a greater risk with drop-off in form which needs to be factored in too.

And re: JJ's contract - it was reported at the time he signed on for 5 x $650-700k so if correct we haven't received output in line with contract terms.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    That will be the big challenge. JJ is the perfect example of how it can go wrong.
    Bailey would have had 5 year deals in front of him from elsewhere. Said he'd stay at the Dogs for less money and I believe him but reckon we needed to swallow a boulder and offer five as well. I'm down with that for an AA backman who is the best kick in the comp and is capable of kicking goals from HB.

For reference Saad got five moving from the Bombers to the Blues.

13. Likes macca liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Yep, it's a balancing act for sure... however for ''outside'' players there is a greater risk with drop-off in form which needs to be factored in too.

And re: JJ's contract - it was reported at the time he signed on for 5 x $650-700k so if correct we haven't received output in line with contract terms.
    Think JJ contract was overs at the time tbh and not sure he has ever reached the heights Dale has for one and half seasons.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Great news about Dale.

Dunkley's situation becomes interesting / what we offer.
    W00F!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Bailey would have had 5 year deals in front of him from elsewhere. Said he'd stay at the Dogs for less money and I believe him but reckon we needed to swallow a boulder and offer five as well. I'm down with that for an AA backman who is the best kick in the comp and is capable of kicking goals from HB.

For reference Saad got five moving from the Bombers to the Blues.
    Great post , totally agree

Prolific Goal kicking HB and wingman don’t grow on trees. They are game changers :
    Issac smith , Gilbee, suckling , Peter matera , Winmar , such good players …and the great Eagleton

Wrapt that he has committed to us .
    Last edited by macca; 16-06-2022 at 08:38 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by macca View Post

Prolific Goal kicking HB and wingman don’t grow on trees. They are game changers :
    Issac smith , Gilbee, Suckling , Peter matera , Winmar , such good players .

EasternWest would agree with this
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

18. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by macca View Post

Issac smith , Gilbee, suckling , Peter matera , Winmar , such good players .

One if these things is not like the others.

Honestly macca I am disappoint.
    "It's over. It's all over."

20. Likes macca liked this post