Thanks Thanks:  254
Likes Likes:  1,764
Page 34 of 175 FirstFirst ... 24252627282930313233343536373839404142434484134 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: List Managment thread (For 2022)

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    Do it, cant be any worse than what we've got and he's a freebie.
    I'm not a huge fan for bringing in a vaccine reluctant player but he would certainly help us in an area we have some question marks about the quality of our players. As you say, in terms of drafts picks and on face value it won't cost us anything unless it stuffs up some other compensation considerations for us but Power and the team will be across that.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

2. Likes chef, Prince Imperial liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Lobb on a 4 year deal says Hagdorn. Logue, Acres and others could leave

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2022/07/...ockers-exodus/

Veteran West Australian journalist Kim Hagdorn is reporting that Rory Lobb is amongst a group that will be on the way out to make way for the Dockers’ big-money pursuit of Melbourne’s Luke Jackson.

He suggests 28-year-old Lobb, who is the club’s leading goal kicker this season, will leave the club for the Western Bulldogs this trade period.

Hagdorn says there is more interest than just from the Bulldogs, but expects Lobb to end up at the Whitten Oval.

“Let’s stop beating around the bush, Rory Lobb has got a four-year deal at the Western Bulldogs,” Hagdorn said on SEN WA’s Drive.

“I said last Monday that Essendon had joined the race. Rule that out.

“St Kilda are still keen to try and talk more with Rory Lobb’s management.

“He’ll be going because he has to go. He is a massive part of the strategy for Fremantle to clear enough players and enough salary to get Luke Jackson.”
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

4. Thanks Grantysghost thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    Lobb on a 4 year deal says Hagdorn. Logue, Acres and others could leave

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2022/07/...ockers-exodus/

Veteran West Australian journalist Kim Hagdorn is reporting that Rory Lobb is amongst a group that will be on the way out to make way for the Dockers’ big-money pursuit of Melbourne’s Luke Jackson.

He suggests 28-year-old Lobb, who is the club’s leading goal kicker this season, will leave the club for the Western Bulldogs this trade period.

Hagdorn says there is more interest than just from the Bulldogs, but expects Lobb to end up at the Whitten Oval.

“Let’s stop beating around the bush, Rory Lobb has got a four-year deal at the Western Bulldogs,” Hagdorn said on SEN WA’s Drive.

“I said last Monday that Essendon had joined the race. Rule that out.

“St Kilda are still keen to try and talk more with Rory Lobb’s management.

“He’ll be going because he has to go. He is a massive part of the strategy for Fremantle to clear enough players and enough salary to get Luke Jackson.”
    4! Fmd. These contract lengths are getting ridiculous. I mean we still have Stef Martin ffs.

Post Thanks / Like

Lobb + Logue somehow, take Jones and even Hamling if they delist him as a complete failsafe/backup (god knows Footscray could use some tall timber), draft a defender with our highest pick, Leon + maybe another new assistant or two, early pre-season, and go for the flag tilt of our life.
    "Its always good to win the Ashes test match'' - Libba, AFL Grand Final, 2016

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vred View Post
    Lobb + Logue somehow, take Jones and even Hamling if they delist him as a complete failsafe/backup (god knows Footscray could use some tall timber), draft a defender with our highest pick, Leon + maybe another new assistant or two, early pre-season, and go for the flag tilt of our life.
    I agree with the premise of being aggressive in a tilt for the flag.

Geelong do it every year and get criticised / pegged for falling off the hill. They're still first on the ladder 10 years after the fact. I get finals are a different ball game, but they always give themselves every chance.

I'd like to see us go for it. If we're going for Lobb, don't do things in halves - try and get 2 key defenders (Jones and Hamling are good cheap options).

We need to win another flag with the likes of Bont/Macrae/Treloar in their prime.
    W00F!

8. Likes Vred, Sedat, josie, bornadog, macca liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    I agree with the premise of being aggressive in a tilt for the flag.

Geelong do it every year and get criticised / pegged for falling off the hill. They're still first on the ladder 10 years after the fact. I get finals are a different ball game, but they always give themselves every chance.

I'd like to see us go for it. If we're going for Lobb, don't do things in halves - try and get 2 key defenders (Jones and Hamling are good cheap options).

We need to win another flag with the likes of Bont/Macrae/Treloar in their prime.
    Yep, all or bust at this point, we have 80% of the pieces, we need to finish out with some defenders, another fwd/ruck and go as hard as possible, time is now, window is open, put 22 down to GF heartbreak, but god we better come out next year firing all guns from the first bounce.
    "Its always good to win the Ashes test match'' - Libba, AFL Grand Final, 2016

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    4! Fmd. These contract lengths are getting ridiculous. I mean we still have Stef Martin ffs.
    I find it hard to believe we would give 4 years to a player who will be 30 before the start of next season. Keath got 3 years + 1 for meeting a contract trigger, but he was 2 years younger than Lobb will be when we traded for him. Surely 3 years would be sufficient?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    I find it hard to believe we would give 4 years to a player who will be 30 before the start of next season. Keath got 3 years + 1 for meeting a contract trigger, but he was 2 years younger than Lobb will be when we traded for him. Surely 3 years would be sufficient?
    4 is excessive but sometimes you've got to pay to play.

If they are identifying Lobb as a crucial need, then as per above posts re: chasing a flag, do it.

If all we do is get Lobb on 4 years, then I'll be the first to call it out as ridiculous but if it's the first piece of the jigsaw (the others primarily being a hunt for defenders) I'll live with the price we have to pay.

We need to win now.
    W00F!

12. Likes Vred, Bullies, EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn’t begrudge us at all if we went balls to the wall this off season for a proper tilt at the flag and it didn’t work. I’d rather try than sit on our hands when we know we have pieces missing.

Send a message to the playing group: now or never.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

14. Likes GVGjr, Sedat, The Bulldogs Bite, MrMahatma liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    4 is excessive but sometimes you've got to pay to play.

If they are identifying Lobb as a crucial need, then as per above posts re: chasing a flag, do it.

If all we do is get Lobb on 4 years, then I'll be the first to call it out as ridiculous but if it's the first piece of the jigsaw (the others primarily being a hunt for defenders) I'll live with the price we have to pay.

We need to win now.
    We probably will want to win now in four years too. I just don't want a dodgy old Lobb lurking around taking a big chunk of cap when we will have Naughton, Marra, Darcy, English, Smith in some peak time and Bont, Macrae, Dunks etc still around.

I'd like to play hard ball on the 3 years.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    I wouldn’t begrudge us at all if we went balls to the wall this off season for a proper tilt at the flag and it didn’t work. I’d rather try than sit on our hands when we know we have pieces missing.

Send a message to the playing group: now or never.
    I think there are 3 models clubs tend to structure their approach to the trade draft period and a couple of hybrid versions of something in between as well.
    Going chips in on topping up and positioning yourself for a genuine crack at it is the classic high risk and high reward approach.
    For a list like ours if we were to get it right then you are as good as a top 2 side and a great chance to win it.

Assessing the list correctly at the end of the season and making sure you have the footy support team around it is the key.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I think there are 3 models clubs tend to structure their approach to the trade draft period and a couple of hybrid versions of something in between as well.
    Going chips in on topping up and positioning yourself for a genuine crack at it is the classic high risk and high reward approach.
    For a list like ours if we were to get it right then you are as good as a top 2 side and a great chance to win it.

Assessing the list correctly at the end of the season and making sure you have the footy support team around it is the key.
    I mean, are we much more than a "Brian Lake to Hawks" trade away from being in the mix again? Maybe we need 2 of those trades.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    I mean, are we much more than a "Brian Lake to Hawks" trade away from being in the mix again? Maybe we need 2 of those trades.
    Just the one... we need a defender who can win the ball back and with a little more defensive application and somehow keeping our best team on the park more regularly we can bounce back pretty quickly.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    Reports tonight of Jones meeting Granty in Williamstown.

Then we target Caleb Graham. Really tough ask to get him out of Queensland but he's still out of contract, he's tough, can mark and (Bevo would love this) even run through the ruck last year when their first couple of options were injured.
    195cm but he plays tall and is solid already, still to turn 22 year old so he's a long term solution as well.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

20. Likes jeemak, macca liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Reports tonight of Jones meeting Granty in Williamstown.

Then we target Caleb Graham. Really tough ask to get him out of Queensland but he's still out of contract, he's tough, can mark and (Bevo would love this) even run through the ruck last year when their first couple of options were injured.
    195cm but he plays tall and is solid already, still to turn 22 year old so he's a long term solution as well.
    Sounds good Moff
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.