Thanks Thanks:  254
Likes Likes:  1,764
Page 57 of 175 FirstFirst ... 7474849505152535455565758596061626364656667107157 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: List Managment thread (For 2022)

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Should have went harder when he was in our sights.
    Match winning type player but I doubt we could have gone much harder. We probably wouldn't have been able to land Baz.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

2. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupman View Post
    If we do end up losing Dunkley (and maybe Smith) is Blake Acres another worth looking at?

His name seems to come up as someone who might be squeezed out by Jackson. I'll admit I haven't really watched him a lot, but he is a big body (who St.Kilda often employed in the Dunkley backup ruck role), has played 115 games both forward and midfield, and seems to me to be a really solid second tier type player to support your guns.

If he is going cheaply I think he could be of interest, and at 26 is in his prime.
    Soup if we lost both Dunkley and Smith I reckon the joint gets burned down before you get a chance to recruit anyone.

In all seriousness a royal commission at a minimum.

4. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    When we split the pick and passed over Curnow in 2015 and got Dunkley and Collins we didn't really maximise the extra pick. Had Sydney matched that pick I think we would have gone for Marcus Adams and Collins
    I thought the justification at the time was we wanted Collins at 11 anyway. Which probably explains why we have been scarred from drafting KPD's ever since
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    I thought the justification at the time was we wanted Collins at 11 anyway. Which probably explains why we have been scarred from drafting KPD's ever since
    I remember reading the same. Only a few might know if it's true.

I think we might also have some challenges developing key position players and prefer to trade for players from other sides.

7. Likes boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Is there any interest from Woofers for Willie Rioli? He's not signing the contract in front of him.

Post Thanks / Like

Should have went harder when he was in our sights. Maybe we did though and what he wanted we just couldn't provide? Would have been far more useful to us than Hawthorn.
    Just saw what Hawthorn gave up for him a solid player (Burton) and a first rounder, no thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd really like to think through the option of splitting the first round pick.
    Is potentially passing over a likely A grader for likely two B graders a good idea for us?
    It could very well be but it's doesn't necessarily mean you resolve gaps in the list.

When we split the pick and passed over Curnow in 2015 and got Dunkley and Collins we didn't really maximise the extra pick. Had Sydney matched that pick I think we would have gone for Marcus Adams and Collins.

Are we more likely to get value out of a top 10 pick than two in the mid 20's?
    The idea of splitting the first round pick will depend upon the circumstances.

In 2015 when we traded pick 11 for picks 25 & 26 the circumstances were different. There was no live trading and we had Jason McCartney calling the shots. I hated that trade then and I still hate it now.

Currently, but with 3 rounds still to be played, our 1st round pick is at number 9. With live trading available and the real opportunity of impulse buying by desperate clubs we could possibly get a more favourable deal. You wouldn't do it otherwise would you? J-Mac was a pushover. Sam Power isn't and is a lot more shrewd at the negotiating table.

Here's a hypothetical.

Dogs plan is to pick a jet with their first pick and then bolster key defensive & ruck positions in this draft.

The Dogs plan A is they have a particular player in mind for their first pick. But he gets picked before its our turn. Plan B is anyone interested in buying our first pick? Who's interested? We will have sewn the seeds pre draft. There is certain to be offers by clubs looking to move up the order. Lets say West Coast chimes in with an offer of 20 & 25 because Hewitt is still available. Or Pies throw in 16 + 42 or future 2nd round because Jefferson is still available. We could just say 'sorry guys, we're using the pick unless you come up with something better".

Swans meanwhile are keen to get pick 9 because the gun they thought would be gone by now is still there. 15 & 17 are now on the table. Dogs keen to bolster their key position stocks believe potential targets Hayes, Weddle & Barnett could all still be available at those selections but none will be at our next pick at 27. Do we take the offer?

Live trading has changed the ball game. In the Bailey Smith draft GWS is said to have offered us picks 9 & 19 for pick 7. Dogs were keen as they were confident Smith would be there at 9. I remember this and was hoping it would happen. It didn't in the end as GWS dealt elsewhere. I can't vouch for the entire accuracy of this story but this is what can happen. Some of the live trading deals in it's short history have been unbelievable.

We only do it if it is to our 'certain' advantage.
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

11. Thanks Bulldog4life thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Is there any interest from Woofers for Willie Rioli? He's not signing the contract in front of him.
    Talented enough player but it would have to be regarded as a risky addition.
    Who would he replace?

Post Thanks / Like

Just saw what Hawthorn gave up for him a solid player (Burton) and a first rounder, no thanks.
    I'm not sure if it was ever determined conclusively if we were offering that years first pick (Smith), or the following years first pick (Weightman). Either way, in hindsight I think we were better off missing out on Wingard.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    The idea of splitting the first round pick will depend upon the circumstances.

In 2015 when we traded pick 11 for picks 25 & 26 the circumstances were different. There was no live trading and we had Jason McCartney calling the shots. I hated that trade then and I still hate it now.

Currently, but with 3 rounds still to be played, our 1st round pick is at number 9. With live trading available and the real opportunity of impulse buying by desperate clubs we could possibly get a more favourable deal. You wouldn't do it otherwise would you? J-Mac was a pushover. Sam Power isn't and is a lot more shrewd at the negotiating table.

Here's a hypothetical.

Dogs plan is to pick a jet with their first pick and then bolster key defensive & ruck positions in this draft.

The Dogs plan A is they have a particular player in mind for their first pick. But he gets picked before its our turn. Plan B is anyone interested in buying our first pick? Who's interested? We will have sewn the seeds pre draft. There is certain to be offers by clubs looking to move up the order. Lets say West Coast chimes in with an offer of 20 & 25 because Hewitt is still available. Or Pies throw in 16 + 42 or future 2nd round because Jefferson is still available. We could just say 'sorry guys, we're using the pick unless you come up with something better".

Swans meanwhile are keen to get pick 9 because the gun they thought would be gone by now is still there. 15 & 17 are now on the table. Dogs keen to bolster their key position stocks believe potential targets Hayes, Weddle & Barnett could all still be available at those selections but none will be at our next pick at 27. Do we take the offer?

Live trading has changed the ball game. In the Bailey Smith draft GWS is said to have offered us picks 9 & 19 for pick 7. Dogs were keen as they were confident Smith would be there at 9. I remember this and was hoping it would happen. It didn't in the end as GWS dealt elsewhere. I can't vouch for the entire accuracy of this story but this is what can happen. Some of the live trading deals in it's short history have been unbelievable.

We only do it if it is to our 'certain' advantage.
    Terrific post Doc, thanks for generating some thought starters.

I heard something similar regarding the super draft and GWS. That would have been an exciting deal and might have been hard to pass on and yes being able to swap picks on draft night could very well change the dynamics of a potential exchange of picks with another club.
    In some aspects if a club is willing to pay another club 'overs' to move up the draft order it creates opportunities for a club to take advantage of it.

I think this is a very good draft and it's why I'm not that keen to trade away picks for players. If we have our heart set on Lobb then so be it but I still wouldn't over pay for him.
    Quality and depth wise I rate this draft as a far better one than 12 months ago but it will start to thin out somewhere in the 2nd round and likely further again from pick 45 or so.

I'm not sure if we will we go into the draft process with a list ranking players 1 to 100 and check them off as they're selected or if we will target certain players and try and jump on them as early as we can.
    It really depends on how we assess the strength of the playing list and if we are prepared to move off a typical best available approach. A wish list that has a degree of flexibility would be the way to go in my opinion.

Like most years we have a few needs. From my perspective it includes a key position defender, a defender who can defend players 1 v 1 and some midfield/forward type depth plus it would be hard to pass up on an emerging ruck man so whatever approach that strengthens that aim is worth considering.

With some questions marks on if Dunkley, Hunter and Williams will stick with us we could end up having a few picks to work with.

Post Thanks / Like

Am I right in thinking that changes to the NGA bidding process, making it harder to acquire NGA talent rated in the first two rounds of the draft, means that teams wont be trading as many picks for points at this years draft?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Revolution View Post
    Am I right in thinking that changes to the NGA bidding process, making it harder to acquire NGA talent rated in the first two rounds of the draft, means that teams wont be trading as many picks for points at this years draft?
    Still need to do it for F/S picks which means that Bris will be on the hunt for points if Ashcroft wants to join that club.

Post Thanks / Like

Terrific post Doc, thanks for generating some thought starters.

With some questions marks on if Dunkley, Hunter and Williams will stick with us we could end up having a few picks to work with.
    Why would Williams want to leave a team that made the grand final last year? Is there anything that suggests that this might happen?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    Why would Williams want to leave a team that made the grand final last year?
    Kind of insignificant when that team (probably) misses finals the next year, and as he is a classic 10-15 best player if a good offer comes his way (and maybe a return to his home state of SA) it makes sense he would be open to it.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    Why would Williams want to leave a team that made the grand final last year? Is there anything that suggests that this might happen?
    Just some speculation that's been floating around. I wouldn't want to lose him.