Thanks Thanks:  254
Likes Likes:  1,764
Page 20 of 175 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122232425262728293070120 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: List Managment thread (For 2022)

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Lobb is probably the ideal fit at any club with strong first ruck man but it will likely come with a hefty price tag.

We need to change our approach with how we use ruck man, this trade period will tell if Bevo and the MC can exhibit a more flexible approach.
    And Lobbs manager has always been at the forefront of seeking out the best deal for Lobb - hes always recognised the interest and appeal of Lobb, and is happy to move him for more years and more dollars

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Revolution View Post
    And Lobbs manager has always been at the forefront of seeking out the best deal for Lobb - hes always recognised the interest and appeal of Lobb, and is happy to move him for more years and more dollars
    He will be 30 by the start of next year, so maybe the big dollars will dry out a bit - but still won't be cheap
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Good post, let me challenge you on a few things

English:
    - Has he really put us over a barrel by wanting to play the position he is best suited to? Given his form it seems like he got it right.
    We can still play him forward but need to find someone to compliment him rather than the other way around.
    - Do we know what sort of coin we have coughed up to keep him? I'd be surprised if it's Grundy like.

Regarding other ruck man potentially coming to our club I suspect we don't chase them as hard as other clubs.
    Cameron went to Collingwood to play 2nd fiddle to Grundy so why wouldn't other players back themselves with us and especially given during the trade period there was nothing to suggest English was going to have a huge season?
    Ceglar went to Geelong and they have multiple ruck options. With Bruce out for the majority of the season the door was open for him with us.

Lobb is probably the ideal fit at any club with strong first ruck man but it will likely come with a hefty price tag.

We need to change our approach with how we use ruck man, this trade period will tell if Bevo and the MC can exhibit a more flexible approach.
    Early last year English was a very good, even damaging as a 3rd tall forward. When we had Naughton, Bruce and English down forward it is the best we looked in attack for a long time. He seem to stop playing forward when he received the wayward knee from Naughton and was out for multiple weeks.

For clarity we wouldn't be paying English, Grundy type money YET, but someone will be once he is a free agent. He will be a highly paid player on a long term deal - which can be a recipe for disaster. Anything 4-5+ is too long especially if they are top one or two salary earners year on year.

I don't disagree with your summation of us chasing other ruckman. I still think our situation is due to the fact of English wanting to be a solo ruck (90%+ gametime) and Beveridge wanting a unicorn 2nd ruck. I have a hunch Ceglar went to Geelong as Geelong have shown they are willing to try different first rucks as they don't have one as dominate as English.

I certainly hope we change our approach with how we handle our rucks on game day and list management wise, but I won't be holding my breath!
    More of an In Bruges guy?

4. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupman View Post
    Is this even confirmed?

We've hardly needed encouragement to play English as first and sole ruck. In 2020 we spent half the season resting him while picking him as the only ruck, he'd take centre bounces and immediately wander forward.

If he's making those demands it's because we've led him there, and since Beveridge has tried to avoid the dual ruck setup as much as possible I imagine even if he did make the demand it'd go something like this;
    TE: "Hey Bevo you need to play me as main ruck otherwise I'm leaving"
    LB "what could've possibly made you think I wasn't going to do that".
    JS ": ("
    I remember Beveridge touched on it last season during a post game press conference. It was along the lines of we have to play with one ruck becauee if we don't play them one would leave. He was insinuating Tim English at the time, didn't say names but you knew who he was talking about

Post Thanks / Like

It's a good list, I'd probably have Dunkley up a rung but that's splitting hairs.
    Yeh I don't think we can argue about a 25 year old best and fairest, All-Australian, 150 game player being in our higher paid group.

He does need to maintain his skill efficiency and decision making to remain in that group, but I have no reason to doubt him.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    I like McStay but i'm not sure he fits a position of need. Would he make us better? Yes, but what happens to JUH? Assuming Bruce plays, I think we can spend the money on a KPD or second ruck.

For mine, McStay is more a forward.
    I've always thought JUH will be better as the 3rd tall in the forward line.

Post Thanks / Like

Good on Tim for wanting to be our number one ruck. His work as a follower...a word for a ruck in years gone by....around the ground is first class. It is like having another mid fielder who can regularly take overhead marks.

9. Likes bornadog, WBFC4FFC, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

No problem we get Darcy to hit the gym and a dozen meat pies a day in the off season and our ruck forward is solved.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

AFL.com reporting that Dale has signed a five year deal.

Far out that is a long contract for a player who has played elite football for only 2 years across his entire career combined.

12. Likes Bullies liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post

Far out that is a long contract for a player who has played elite football for only 2 years across his entire career combined.
    Confirmed by the club.

https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/n...for-five-years

Post Thanks / Like

They obviously have information that the salary cap will go up quite a bit in the coming years. A few clubs were throwing some good coin at him as well. Not sure there will be enough left for Dunks who by all accounts is after a fair bit of coin.

Post Thanks / Like

It's probably a year longer than ideal but the trick is to now not let him slide back at all.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

It's probably a year longer than ideal but the trick is to now not let him slide back at all.
    That will be the big challenge. JJ is the perfect example of how it can go wrong.

Post Thanks / Like

That will be the big challenge. JJ is the perfect example of how it can go wrong.
    Hunter too… obviously has had his off-field issues which wouldn’t have helped, but his output has dropped off after signing a similar length contract.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Hunter too… obviously has had his off-field issues which wouldn’t have helped, but his output has dropped off after signing a similar length contract.
    Yeah, good call.