Thanks Thanks:  254
Likes Likes:  1,764
Page 2 of 175 FirstFirst 12345678910111252102 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: List Managment thread (For 2022)

Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post
    And surely with Dunkleys marking ability he would be better suited in the fwd line allowing Libba more guts time.
    Do you really want Dunkley kicking the ball? He is either in the middle doing the grunt work or he doesn't have a role.

Post Thanks / Like

We need to factor in our cap position and who is gettable.
    I'd still ask the question of Jackson Payne who is under contract but can't get a game for the Lions. We asked about him previously so he knows we're interested and I doubt he's on big coin.

I'd keep a close eye on Brayden Crossley at Southport, 198cm ruck/forward and strong body. He showed signs at AFL level before getting cut by Gold Coast serving a coke suspension. Potential base salary DFA signing that provides us with depth. Still only 22.

I still watch West Coast every year pluck a smart, skillful small forward from a small town in WA each year and wonder why the hell we don't look at these types too (no, Arty Jones is not a small forward - he's a wingman). We only have to nail one of those picks and small forwards are the type that can play very early in their career.

Beside that, our list now is the list we're taking forward. I don't think we have the cap space for any decent FAs and we'll largely stay a draft and develop type of club.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Are you judging him on reputation, or on what he actually does?
    He's kicked 164.116 over his career. 58 percent without OOF.

Naughton

104.82 about 55 percent.

Taking the gold standard Dickson he was at 75 percent (181.61).

So Naughton or Casboult you're going to be losing your hair.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Do you really want Dunkley kicking the ball? He is either in the middle doing the grunt work or he doesn't have a role.
    Dunks spending more time forward as a short term option is not the worst suggestion I've heard.

Liam Picken was effecively our pseudo CHF in the 2016 finals series and he had the worst kicking efficiency in the entire competition when he was playing primarily as a mid under BMac a couple of years prior. Very strong hands aerially and ultra-competitive, not dissilimar to Dunkley's skillset.

Agree it is heart in mouth stuff whenever Dunks is having a shot at goal, but gee he would help out Naughts enormously as another aerial threat up forward. JUH is not there yet consistently and the cupboard is otherwise bare until Bruce gets back. Dunks spending time forward will also give Libba more opportunity to roll the sleeves up in the middle and get to work doing what he does best.

By the time Bruce comes back and we are (hopefully) still in contention in 2022, Dunks reverting back to more mid will be a potent weapon late in the season.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

5. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That Adams guy who plays for the Lions seems a goer. He can take a good intercept grab, big body, takes on the gorillas a lot of the time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    He's kicked 164.116 over his career. 58 percent without OOF.

Naughton

104.82 about 55 percent.

Taking the gold standard Dickson he was at 75 percent (181.61).

So Naughton or Casboult you're going to be losing your hair.
    Early career Casboult, or later years Casboult?

8.4 this year
    Since 2018 he's gone at 47 goals 28 behinds - again, his reputation as a poor kick for goal isn't borne out by his most recent years.
    That's not accounting for the fact he demands a defender and can chop out in the ruck which helps the team and also means Naughton may get higher % shots on goal as he's not being double-teamed in the goal square.

Players do sometimes improve aspects of their play. It's a big reason why I'm such a fan of getting Anthony Rocca to the Bulldogs, as he turned Casboult from a god-awful kick for goal to one who is now better than average.
    If he can help Levi he can help anyone.

8. Likes Grantysghost, macca liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    That Adams guy who plays for the Lions seems a goer. He can take a good intercept grab, big body, takes on the gorillas a lot of the time.
    His biggest issue is he is not tall enough and hasn't got the leap to compensate. Struggles against the Hawkins, Lynches, Mackays and King types
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    His biggest issue is he is not tall enough and hasn't got the leap to compensate. Struggles against the Hawkins, Lynches, Mackays and King types
    Tall enough for our back-up ruck man role though.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Early career Casboult, or later years Casboult?

8.4 this year
    Since 2018 he's gone at 47 goals 28 behinds - again, his reputation as a poor kick for goal isn't borne out by his most recent years.
    That's not accounting for the fact he demands a defender and can chop out in the ruck which helps the team and also means Naughton may get higher % shots on goal as he's not being double-teamed in the goal square.

Players do sometimes improve aspects of their play. It's a big reason why I'm such a fan of getting Anthony Rocca to the Bulldogs, as he turned Casboult from a god-awful kick for goal to one who is now better than average.
    If he can help Levi he can help anyone.
    62 percent so definitely better as you say. Still around 6 out of 10. I just don't rate him, but you do make some worthwhile arguments that are hard to dismiss.

You've got me from no way I'd rather Barry Round, now; to no way I'd rather have Darren Jarman now

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    62 percent so definitely better as you say. Still around 6 out of 10. I just don't rate him, but you do make some worthwhile arguments that are hard to dismiss.

You've got me from no way I'd rather Barry Round, now; to no way I'd rather have Darren Jarman now
    It's all moot, as hopefully we get Josh Bruce back for next year - but will he play much after that?
    Darcy & Marra won't be ready in 2023 to play as genuine KPFs (or KPD in Darcy's case) so I still think we look at options that are available.

In an ideal world we'd be able to grab a Darcy Cameron type (who can ruck and play forward) but the market is real thin for those types.

13. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It's all moot, as hopefully we get Josh Bruce back for next year - but will he play much after that?
    Darcy & Marra won't be ready in 2023 to play as genuine KPFs (or KPD in Darcy's case) so I still think we look at options that are available.

In an ideal world we'd be able to grab a Darcy Cameron type (who can ruck and play forward) but the market is real thin for those types.
    The market is thin, but it appears we are not interested in those types.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    The market is thin, but it appears we are not interested in those types.
    Yeah, as I say it's weird.
    Some formerly "terrible" rucks that cost almost nothing are now performing well - Xerri and Hickey among them.
    We've turned two DFAs into competent KPDs, and two more are playing AFL (Skinner & Sam Collins) and another recently taken by Geelong.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    He’s going to be kicking it wherever he is, and in all honesty, he’s got as much chance of kicking a goal from 30 out directly in front as Naughton has. What Dunkley offers is a good marking ability, and a great tackling ability in our fwd 50, which we are screaming out for. Libba has the best hands in the team and needs to be dead centre majority of his on ground time.
    There is probably not a win/win scenario, but I’m just posing what would help the team better imo.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

17. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    He took 7 intercept marks against the Lions. His a big loss as he can play big and small. Has the strength, agility to play against the big bodies and can kick. The Lions have a depth of big markers there : Harris, Gardner, McStay,Adams , Fort and Big O. Don't you hate it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by macca View Post
    He took 7 intercept marks against the Lions. His a big loss as he can play big and small. Has the strength, agility to play against the big bodies and can kick. The Lions have a depth of big markers there : Harris, Gardner, McStay,Adams , Fort and Big O. Don't you hate it.
    ... and add Payne in the twos who apparently we rate (chasing him in previous trade periods), and Fullerton who has to work out whether he's a forward or ruck.

They'll get Hipwood back later this year too who is taller than expected (203cm!)