Thanks Thanks:  254
Likes Likes:  1,764
Page 3 of 175 FirstFirst 1234567891011121353103 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: List Managment thread (For 2022)

I know he's under contract (not that means much anymore) but I wouldn't mind putting a watch out on Charlie Comben. Still a bit skinny and developing but plays forward/ruck and may be ready to go from 2024 in the post-Bruce era. Has shown glimpses.

Between Larkey, Xerri, Edwards and CCJ he might find opportunity hard to come by as he develops.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

2. Likes GVGjr, kruder liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    I know he's under contract (not that means much anymore) but I wouldn't mind putting a watch out on Charlie Comben. Still a bit skinny and developing but plays forward/ruck and may be ready to go from 2024 in the post-Bruce era. Has shown glimpses.

Between Larkey, Xerri, Edwards and CCJ he might find opportunity hard to come by as he develops.
    Good suggestion.

Another to watch (along with Strachan and Meek) will be the West Coast version of Bailey Williams. Naitanui is injured and as far as I can tell Williams is next up, could be worth keeping tabs on in the event English does nominate a move west.

Was also thinking that if we do go down a pathway that see's Dunkley move elsewhere and Libba drop off would we be lookng at getting in a good second tier mid to shore up our midfield and if so would Liam Shiels be any interest? Had an amazing career for a non star, doesn't seem to be in the frame at Hawthorn and will be 31 at the start of next season. More as a 2-3 year thing as we try and uncover a younger version who can play that sacrificing role well (I don't really think the candidates on the list atm really fit what I'm after).
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

4. Likes kruder liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    ... and add Payne in the twos who apparently we rate (chasing him in previous trade periods), and Fullerton who has to work out whether he's a forward or ruck.

They'll get Hipwood back later this year too who is taller than expected (203cm!)
    I hate it even more they have sOOO many talls

What a good problem to have

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by macca View Post
    I hate it even more they have sOOO many talls

What a good problem to have
    Not only have they scored well with academy kids, they also draft talls and have signed at least one non-traditional pathway tall (basketball) as well.

It's by design, not luck. Then Neale fell into their laps and they took a punt on Mitch Robinson, not to mention a free hit in Jarrod Lyons.

They have shaped their list remarkably well while we've pinned all our hopes on English, Sweet and a bunch of blokes who can still technically hang out with Snow White.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

7. Likes josie, DOG GOD, macca liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

English has to be our number 1 extension, he gives us a point of difference. Next is to aggressively chase a key defender and a forward that can pinch hit in the ruck.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Testekill View Post
    English has to be our number 1 extension, he gives us a point of difference. Next is to aggressively chase a key defender and a forward that can pinch hit in the ruck.
    I agree. He’s quickly becoming irreplaceable given the make up of our list and what else is available on the market.

I’d sooner lose Bazlenka.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    I agree. He’s quickly becoming irreplaceable given the make up of our list and what else is available on the market.

I’d sooner lose Bazlenka.
    Oooo-that’s like Sophie’s Choice. Please let’s keep both. If Tim keeps up this form and asks for a trade he is going to be worth a lot..

11. Likes Testekill, HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Jay Clark: The "Fascinating" Salary Cap & Free Agency Situation At The Western Bulldogs

Jay Clark says he expects the Western Bulldogs to be major free agency players this upcoming off-season, telling Triple M's Rush Hour the state of their list and contracts is "fascinating".

The Bulldogs are 3-5 after their loss to Port Adelaide last weekend, and with a host of their stars still out of contract, Jay-Z says there's a "juggling act" ahead for the Dogs.

"They've got a salary cap squeeze on," he explained.

"They've got a stacked midfield, they've got some talent up forward and in the backline they're ranked last for losing defensive one-on-one contests..."
    Audio in the link but to summarise he throws up some ideas that have been brought up here many times - do we sacrifice a midfielder (names Dunkley) to bring in a tall defender? Throws up some fringe talls: Logue (Freo), McAsey (Adel), Marchbank (Carl), Joel Smith (Melb), Weideman (Melb) (turn him into a defender).

Post Thanks / Like

Western Bulldogs will scour the league for a prime key defender to bolster its back line for next year’s premiership tilt.

The Bulldogs are in the market for a strong-bodied key backman such as Fremantle’s Griffin Logue to address the defensive vulnerabilities which have been exposed this season.

Out-of-contract Brisbane big man Dan McStay could also be an option to help boost the Dogs key position stocks.

Luke Beveridge’s men have lost 37 per cent of their defensive contests – ranked 18th in the league.

They have also conceded 39 goals to key forwards this year – ranked 13th.

Former coach Rodney Eade said it was the obvious missing link for the Dogs after slipping to 10th spot with three wins from eight games ahead of Friday night’s crunch clash against Collingwood.

“When they play against good teams, that is going to catch them out,” Eade said on RSN.

“I know Luke has probably bristled at that in the past about tall defenders but going forward they need to really sit down and plan about how we are going to get some tall defenders in.”

Complicating matters is the salary cap squeeze on at the kennel as the Dogs attempt to re-sign a host of stars including Bailey Smith, Caleb Daniel, Tim English, Bailey Dale and Josh Dunkley.

Hard nut midfielder Dunkley, 25, would help free up salary cap space if he sought another trade request after failing to get to Essendon, but the club has held positive talks with him on a new deal.

Bulldogs’ list manager Sam Power also faces a tricky challenge finding the right man to beef-up the back end from the players potentially available this year.

In particular, the new stand rule has left backmen exposed and the Dogs’ reliance on their midfield to support the back line has fallen down this year after making last year’s Grand Final.

Logue looms as an attractive option but the Dogs would face a fight to land him as the 24-year-old has recently re-established himself as a key pillar in one of the best defences in the competition.

Likewise his Dockers’ teammate Alex Pearce, 26, remains out of contract at season’s end and has the ability to push for All-Australian selection throughout his prime according to former coach Ross Lyon.

The Dogs will also consider other injury-hit players and key forward options who could make the switch into the back line such as former Carlton stopper Liam Jones or Demon Sam Weideman.

Adelaide 197cm defender Fischer McAsey, a former pick six, has been on the outer at the Crows, Carlton’s Caleb Marchbank has returned from injury through the VFL, Melbourne’s Joel Smith is out again with injury, while Essendon’s Aaron Francis is a left-field candidate.

Demon Harrison Petty (2025), West Coast’s Tom Barrass (2026), Cat Jack Henry (2024) and Richmond’s Noah Balta (2023) have all recently recommitted.

The Dogs will prefer a taller key defender instead of a third option or smaller marking intercept player to fill the void on their list.

It is the clear priority for the club which has lost former Hawk Tim O’Brien to another soft tissue setback after securing him from Waverley last year.

Alex Keath, 30, will replace him in the team after overcoming a hamstring problem.

Link

14. Thanks azabob thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ruck backup, cough, cough
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

16. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I know it's just an article but 8 games into the season the club will look for a KP defender at the end of the season during trade period. We seem to be a year later in identifying that gap.

It's a bit of a strange article that identifies that we are in a salary cap squeeze but we will also be in the market for an established key defender.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I know it's just an article but 8 games into the season the club will look for a KP defender at the end of the season during trade period. We seem to be a year later in identifying that gap.

It's a bit of a strange article that identifies that we are in a salary cap squeeze but we will also be in the market for an established key defender.
    I think the jurno is suggesting we will trade out Dunkley or someone else to free up cap space. But yeah… odd.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    I think the jurno is suggesting we will trade out Dunkley or someone else to free up cap space. But yeah… odd.
    I've come to terms with losing one of our vaunted midfielders to make way for a KPD. Although I actually think we retain Dunkley and lose someone like Dale / CD instead, I know Dale would fetch us something pretty good on the open market, sucks to lose him tho, but face it, we're 18th now for losing 1v1's in the backline, that needs to be fixed asap.
    "Its always good to win the Ashes test match'' - Libba, AFL Grand Final, 2016

20. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vred View Post
    I've come to terms with losing one of our vaunted midfielders to make way for a KPD. Although I actually think we retain Dunkley and lose someone like Dale / CD instead, I know Dale would fetch us something pretty good on the open market, sucks to lose him tho, but face it, we're 18th now for losing 1v1's in the backline, that needs to be fixed asap.
    Bevo will never part with an established player imo.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vred View Post
    No way we lose Dale. He is close to our most consistent player. Not only is he an offensive weapon but his defence is getting better and better. He is effective at spoiling and being at the contest. A game high 11 marks last night also shows he gets himself in the right position whether that be defensively taking some intercepts or busting his gut to find position to provide an attacking option. Players running off the HBF are gold and with a developing forward line are critical for us to be challenging over the next few years.