Thanks Thanks:  30
Likes Likes:  84
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: WB Game Day V Gold Coast Suns R10 2022

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    4 disposals doesn't help his cause
    Neither ruckman did much statistically apart from hitouts. The only time I felt Witts hurt us was when Sweet was off the ground. There was between 5 - 10 minutes of football in the 3rd when Sweet was benched and Cordy went up against Witts and they kicked 4 unanswered. The balls were coming into the forward 50 quickly, our defence held up really well during that time and could have been a turning point if they did not. I probably won't get time to rewatch the match and study exactly what Sweet did wrong or right, I'll leave that to the haters with axes to grind but I really thought that point of the game was pretty telling on how much he stifled Witts' ability to hit their mids with taps.

2. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    Neither ruckman did much statistically apart from hitouts. The only time I felt Witts hurt us was when Sweet was off the ground. There was between 5 - 10 minutes of football in the 3rd when Sweet was benched and Cordy went up against Witts and they kicked 4 unanswered. The balls were coming into the forward 50 quickly, our defence held up really well during that time and could have been a turning point if they did not. I probably won't get time to rewatch the match and study exactly what Sweet did wrong or right, I'll leave that to the haters with axes to grind but I really thought that point of the game was pretty telling on how much he stifled Witts' ability to hit their mids with taps.
    Naughton’s first three shots at goal came directly from Sweet’s centre bounce work. And Khamis’s first shot too.. Quick direct entries.

One thing I have noticed in the last two games is Sweet is not part of the team reflexes yet. A number of times he has moved forward of the ball to make good position and been ignored. That’s obviously going to take time to change.

4. Likes Testekill, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    It's an interesting way of looking at Sweet but based on what I saw yesterday he's got some work to do to become an AFL standard ruck man. The concern is that he didn't take any marks. Still I'm happy to have him on the list.

I'd certainly consider keeping Sweet in the side next week to ease English back into the game. It might depend on who else we are considering bringing back in.
    It's hard to tell from the TV. Was he struggling to make himself dangerous GVG, ergo fitness/endurance is an issue? Or was it more smarts and knowing where to go?

I thought he was quite good in the ruck contests.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    It's an interesting way of looking at Sweet but based on what I saw yesterday he's got some work to do to become an AFL standard ruck man. The concern is that he didn't take any marks. Still I'm happy to have him on the list.

I'd certainly consider keeping Sweet in the side next week to ease English back into the game. It might depend on who else we are considering bringing back in.
    Witts who looked significantly taller took two. I’m sure I heard one of the commentators say Sweet wasn’t trying to outmark Witts but was trying to spoil him, and being successful. Similar role to Gardner who had only 5 possessions but did a good job.

7. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought we had a pretty good win yesterday against a similar strength team. Probably should have been by a bit more, but we like to do things the hard way. GC and Dew look like finally becoming more than just a joke club, nice to see.

Gee Ed Richards keeps on surprising me in a good way. Becoming our most important defender.
    The curse is dead.

9. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    It's hard to tell from the TV. Was he struggling to make himself dangerous GVG, ergo fitness/endurance is an issue? Or was it more smarts and knowing where to go?

I thought he was quite good in the ruck contests.
    He genuinely seemed to be coasting but that might be because Cordy was the relief option but even his time of the ground was only 75%

I agree he competed OK in the ruck contests and he just needs more opportunities to improve his craft.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

11. Thanks Grantysghost thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think we can focus to much on actual disposals with some players. Bevo obviously rates highly what a player does without the ball as much as with it.
    The curse is dead.

13. Likes Grantysghost, Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    Witts who looked significantly taller took two. I’m sure I heard one of the commentators say Sweet wasn’t trying to outmark Witts but was trying to spoil him, and being successful. Similar role to Gardner who had only 5 possessions but did a good job.
    It's a fair observation and I'm hoping to watch the replay later today. I'll keep an eye out of it.

Back to the game, the Suns lost 2 players with injuries and were a man down for a significant period and they also didn't get a lot from Rowell, Miller, Fiorini and to a lesser extent Anderson who should have been their prime movers and yet were right in it all the way through.
    Our poor score conversions helped keep them in it but the Suns surprised me because it was a game they could have easily lost by 40 points plus.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    I think we can focus to much on actual disposals with some players. Bevo obviously rates highly what a player does without the ball as much as with it.
    Agree on that and Sweet had 6 tackles.

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    Yes Witts didn't do much around the ground either. I just think Sweet has away to go, but is worth pursing, and just needs to build up his core and run out games. He did well in the first half but ran out of puff in the second and had to have long spells on the bench which were costly.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

16. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    In game 58 English had 9 disposals and 17 hitouts. Two games earlier he had 8 disposals. And that was just last year. After 70 games people are commenting on his recent improvement.

Inround 22 last year English had 10 and 10. That’s in a game where the team managed 5 goals.

Sweet has had 7 games as number one ruckman and in 6 the team has had 14 or more., He is well behind experienced players like McNeil in game time and comparable to Khamis. He will never be getting English’s current figures But he does seem to give the midfielders some spark.
    Out of curiosity I looked it up. In that game Martin was 1st ruck and got injured at some point. So English wasn't playing first ruck but did have to at some point. Then English got injured but managed to get back onto the field to finish the game before missing the next week. Just context for anyone curious.

Also was round 22 when we moved him forward to cover for Bruce and were using makeshift options in the ruck?

18. Thanks Bulldog4life thanked for this post
    Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bit of talk around the Naughton stuff. I only caught bits and pieces, but the turnover frees when we had a mark on the 50m arc was costly and in the replays I saw they were 50/50 at best and easily could’ve been downfield for Naughton. He’s the only big banana forward that doesn’t constantly get royal treatment from the umps - in fact he gets dudded time and again. The club needs some clarity on this - or we just need to start doing some really hard checking on his man off the ball if that’s allowed (as it apparently is).

Glad we’ve got the 4 points.

Glad we’ve got a bunch of talent and role players to come back in.

I’m starting to get optimistic we’ll be building towards a healthy list and peaking at the right time.

Williams to a wing seems a great move - he’s getting lots of shots on goal, and staying involved in the forward half - plus is capable of being a hard working player back to help defenders - could be a masterstroke.

20. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Also was round 22 when we moved him forward to cover for Bruce and were using makeshift options in the ruck?
    Yes, the reason why we used Young in the ruck. English covering for Bruce

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

22. Thanks hujsh thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post
    Williams to a wing seems a great move - he’s getting lots of shots on goal, and staying involved in the forward half - plus is capable of being a hard working player back to help defenders - could be a masterstroke.
    Many of us suggested this move on WOOF

24. Likes DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Out of curiosity I looked it up. In that game Martin was 1st ruck and got injured at some point. So English wasn't playing first ruck but did have to at some point. Then English got injured but managed to get back onto the field to finish the game before missing the next week. Just context for anyone curious.

Thanks for the extra details.

Post Thanks / Like

On Sweet as I have mentioned in the past we needed to have given him game time when Martin and English was out during the course of the year when we didn't have a recognised ruck instead of mid fielders filling in.
    I still think that was a missed opportunity because game time at senior level is huge for a players development.
    It also gives you the time to assess if a player is worth persevering with.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

27. Likes DOG GOD, G-Mo77 liked this post