Thanks Thanks:  25
Likes Likes:  133
Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: WB Game Day V Geelong R12 2022

Quote Originally Posted by KT31 View Post
    Excellent point TBB, seriously how we can move on a player like Lipinski for zip and give players like McComb a crack absolutely baffles me.
    He left for better opportunites. We offered him a deal. Lippa also aint solving the issues we are currently facing. We won the midfield contest again. A large part of the game was played in our forward half of the ground. We lack classy forwards who can seize an opportunity and score. We lack quality tall defenders. McComb/Lippa is not the difference between winning and losing tonight.
    Last edited by angelopetraglia; 04-06-2022 at 10:00 AM.

2. Likes merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    Gardner is not at league standard. He coughed up opportunites with regulation kicks gone bad with zero pressure. We don't have other options but when you compare who Geelong have in defence he doesn't stack up.
    I can handle a mistake here and there, its going to happen to the very best. For many of his opponent's goals, there wasn't much I thought he did wrong. He's no A grader, but he's definitely shown he is able to play a role at this level.

4. Likes Bullies, merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Game was lost in the first 5 minutes.

I respect the effort to get within arms distance, but that’s all teams need to hold us off.

It was a physically weak performance and perhaps only Libba brought the requisite intent and physicality across the four quarters. Mentally, I think we have a bit going for us, to think through the game and get going when it looked gone. But I don’t reckon we are strong enough, for long enough, to revive a BMAC-ism.

2 goals in a row and a physical statement, to get our nose in front and I think we win. But we were never going to get that extra goal.

6. Likes DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    I can handle a mistake here and there, its going to happen to the very best. For many of his opponent's goals, there wasn't much I thought he did wrong. He's no A grader, but he's definitely shown he is able to play a role at this level.
    But to win big games against quality teams when the heat is on you need A grade talls. Or at least one. We don't have one. Keath is maybe a B grader at best. Gardner is lucky to be C grade. It ain't going to cut it.

8. Likes G-Mo77 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    How dare you Matt Spangher is learning on the job and trying his best!
    He had a great hug huddle going pre game if that's worth anything.
    To be fair I've got nfi if he's any good but it would be nice to get some experience alongside Bevo from another system.
    Hahaha

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    Game was lost in the first 5 minutes.

I respect the effort to get within arms distance, but that’s all teams need to hold us off.

It was a physically weak performance and perhaps only Libba brought the requisite intent and physicality across the four quarters. Mentally, I think we have a bit going for us, to think through the game and get going when it looked gone. But I don’t reckon we are strong enough, for long enough, to revive a BMAC-ism.

2 goals in a row and a physical statement, to get our nose in front and I think we win. But we were never going to get that extra goal.
    We spent a lot of tickets getting back into the game. They conserved a lot of energy chipping it around defending a large league. It was always going to be very difficult after the first quarter. The second half of the first quarter we dropped our heads. But the first half we played with intent and had plenty of chances. We just didn't take them which handed them momentum.

We kicked 1.5. They kicked 7.2. Six to nine scoring shots. We missed how many easy chances?

11. Likes SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    We don't have anyone.

Gardner played majority of the game on Hawkins and kept him to two goals. One was due to a mistake by our backs and the other a joe the goose.

Cameron on the other hand killed us, and was too mobile for Keith
    I was surprised Gardner went to Hawkins and Keath to Cameron. I would have thought the other way round made more sense.

I liked Bukus ruckwork and dont think having Sweet in would have made a difference.

We did not play to our forward set up at all - we knew we were short, so needed to use our hit up players. It is hard to believe that the players willingly ignored instructions, so I can only assume those instructions weren't given and 'bomb it to Cody in a 3 on 1' was a team rule.

13. Likes BornInDroopSt'54, azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Good call and to add Gardner would have only played 20 games+. Let's give him until at least 50 before making judgement. The talls as we know take a bit longer to develop. He has been given some big jobs.

Post Thanks / Like

Tackles in forward 50m

Rohan 4
    Cameron 2
    Hawkins 2
    Nauhgton 2

Cats 13. Dogs 7. Even with our mosqiuto fleet we can't lay enough pressure. That difference is basically the ball game.

Post Thanks / Like

But to win big games against quality teams when the heat is on you need A grade talls. Or at least one. We don't have one. Keath is maybe a B grader at best. Gardner is lucky to be C grade. It ain't going to cut it.
    I agree we are going to struggle if we're relying on him at this stage to be the main man. But i think he's exhibited enough (even this game) to show he has a role. We just need to bloody find a quality tall defender to take over from the role Gardner is being asked to play.

Naughton is doing a very good job this year, tonight excluded, of being the key forward focal point, but I wonder next year, if Jamarra can improve, and Bruce can get back from his injury, do the coaching group look to reintroduce him for a couple of years down back?
    Naughton will influence a game no matter where he is. And unless we can attend to our key defensive post list deficiencies at the end of the year, I just can't see us having the profile to really challenge.

It sort of reminds me of a 'reverse Eade years issue', where we just didn't quite have quality talls in our forward line. And it probably stopped us from winning a couple of prelims.

17. Thanks angelopetraglia thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We spent a lot of tickets getting back into the game. They conserved a lot of energy chipping it around defending a large league. It was always going to be very difficult after the first quarter. The second half of the first quarter we dropped our heads. But the first half we played with intent and had plenty of chances. We just didn't take them which handed them momentum.

We kicked 1.5. They kicked 7.2. Six to nine scoring shots. We missed how many easy chances?
    Felt similar to the Carlton loss.

That and the Port game when Marshall marked everything in the wing. Geelong’s last five kicks long to the members wing, they pulled it down for a grab.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree we are going to struggle if we're relying on him at this stage to be the main man. But i think he's exhibited enough (even this game) to show he has a role. We just need to bloody find a quality tall defender to take over from the role Gardner is being asked to play.

Naughton is doing a very good job this year, tonight excluded, of being the key forward focal point, but I wonder next year, if Jamarra can improve, and Bruce can get back from his injury, do the coaching group look to reintroduce him for a couple of years down back?
    Naughton will influence a game no matter where he is. And unless we can attend to our key defensive post list deficiencies at the end of the year, I just can't see us having the profile to really challenge.

It sort of reminds me of a 'reverse Eade years issue', where we just didn't quite have quality talls in our forward line. And it probably stopped us from winning a couple of prelims.
    Yes. Solid points and highlights what we already know is that the list is unbalanced. It also allows Scott to coach in the negative manner he did tonight. He knows they don't need that many looks to win the game. It influences the way teams match up on us.

20. Likes Yankee Hotel Foxtrot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Is a fair point the best teams have A grade tall defenders.

Grimes, Rance
    May, Lever
    Two other players.

Our defence is a real concern and as you say pretty B grade.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    Felt similar to the Carlton loss.

That and the Port game when Marshall marked everything in the wing. Geelong’s last five kicks long to the members wing, they pulled it down for a grab.
    Forwards love playing agaisnt us. They have a field day. Even Darling who has not been able to get a kick in a stable this year kicked a bag.

#1 Brown 3. All early by memory.
    #2 Curnow 5. McKay 4.
    #3 Franklin 2. We contained them that game.
    #4 Lynch 4.
    #5 Larkey 4.
    #6 Walker 3.
    #7 Wright 4.
    #8. Finlayson 3. Marshall 2.
    #9 Pies don't have a power forward.
    #10 Jeffrey 5!!!!!!
    #11 Darling 4 in a 100 point loss
    #12 Cameron 6

We have an issue. We all know it. Big forwards lick their lips.

23. Likes SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I hate Geelong. Hate them. Hate them. Hate them.

That is 2 wins for us from our last 17 games.

Last few games.

Cats by 13
    Cats by 5 after the siren.
    Cats by 11.

They own us.