Thanks Thanks:  46
Likes Likes:  212
Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: WB Game Day V Hawthorn R15 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    McComb had 17 pressure acts.
    West 14, Cody 14, JJ 9.

That's the stuff the coaches love; fans can get stuck on what happens with the ball disproportionately.

Edit : Libba just had the lazy 27! What a star.
    Interesting now that pressure acts are recorded as a stat
    When did this start happening ? It is another KPI i guess they measure

Don’t really see this on the tv as it may be off screen

Can someone give please give example of how pressure act is counted ?

2. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    He didn't play very well in terms of productivity with the footy. Had some almost chances and was maniacal at the footy in some instances, while putting on a lot of pressure.

He didn't have a good game and it's possible this was because of his injury, but like some forward pockets do sometimes (and he has in the past when fit), he may have just had a quiet day.

It's likely he'll have surgery at the end of this year on his elbow, and he'll have to play in pain/ discomfort if he wants to play for the rest of the year as it is. He may as well get used to it.

Perhaps after watching the replay it'll be clearer to me as to as to whether/ how much it impacted him.
    it definitely impacted him. And it possibly led to at least one head knock. He didn’t seem properly balanced at times.

He should have been protected from his own exuberance. Two significant nerves go through the elbow and they were Impacted from the dislocation. You could see from the way he used his hand.

On a different note, last year we learnt the importance of scoring. Missed the double chance last year by a goal I think. Does giving an injured player so much game time impact on our final percentage. We need to boost that because we dropped games against Struggling teams like Adelaide and Port, and missed out on valuable points. Almost getting the ball isn’t part of the calculation.

In professional sport the selection must be professional.

4. Likes Testekill, DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by macca View Post
    Interesting now that pressure acts are recorded as a stat
    When did this start happening ? It is another KPI i guess they measure

Don’t really see this on the tv as it may be off screen

Can someone give please give example of how pressure act is counted ?
    There's a few. From Champion data glossary.

Pressure Act (Implied): Reducing an opponent’s decision making time without physical contact ‘via corralling, closing space or chasing from behind’.

Pressure Act (Corralling): The lowest form of pressure a player can apply, where they are simply occupying space in front of the ball carrier to prevent them moving forward, or have a run at them, but not quickly enough to record ‘closing’ pressure

Pressure Act (Closing): A higher degree of pressure than corralling, where the pressure player is on the verge of making contact with the ball carrier (either from in front or the side) as he disposals of the ball. The key point of difference between this and corralling is that there will be imminent contact and the pressure player is forcing the ball carrier to dispose of it immediately.

Pressure Act (Chasing): Where a player applies pressure from behind an opponent by chasing. They must be gaining ground or applying pressure significant enough to hurry the ball carrier to dispose of the ball. If the chasing player is on the verge of making physical contact from behind, then closing pressure will be imminent

Pressure Act (Physical): Applying direct physical contact to a player in the act of disposing of the ball or effecting a tackle that prevents an effective disposal from the ball carrier.

6. Thanks BornInDroopSt'54, macca thanked for this post
    Likes G-Mo77 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    it definitely impacted him. And it possibly led to at least one head knock. He didn’t seem properly balanced at times.

He should have been protected from his own exuberance. Two significant nerves go through the elbow and they were Impacted from the dislocation. You could see from the way he used his hand.

On a different note, last year we learnt the importance of scoring. Missed the double chance last year by a goal I think. Does giving an injured player so much game time impact on our final percentage. We need to boost that because we dropped games against Struggling teams like Adelaide and Port, and missed out on valuable points. Almost getting the ball isn’t part of the calculation.

In professional sport the selection must be professional.
    If you looked at last night and thought not securing a higher percentage was due to our inability to score then I think you're probably missing the point.

As I said, I'll watch the replay and see if a sore arm meant he copped a head knock and whether I can tell from TV if he had nerve damage affecting his hand and get back to you.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

8. Likes Happy Days liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    If you looked at last night and thought not securing a higher percentage was due to our inability to score then I think you're probably missing the point.

As I said, I'll watch the replay and see if a sore arm meant he copped a head knock and whether I can tell from TV if he had nerve damage affecting his hand and get back to you.
    At the game I couldn't see any impairment, I'll have to watch replay too as it appears Danj and others maybe see something I didn't live.

Post Thanks / Like

I am pretty confident that Weightman's selection decision was made in a professional manner. Any hint of there being real risk of dangerous repercussions to Cody would've meant a line drawn through him at Selection Meeting, no matter how insistently he may have pleaded his case to the coaches. I just don't doubt that. I think Beveridge has shown enough of his character to see that he genuinely cares about the well-being of his players and would not take undue risk with their safety.

For those here who are comfortable with the health side of things regarding his selection, there is still interesting debate to be had in the space of whether or not his discomfort ended up being a tactical plus or negative for us.
    I reckon it was a short term, game specific tactical master stroke!

I hear BAD's argument that a 1 possession game is not the hallmark of what would generally define a good game or even an acceptable game. And I agree for the most part that its certainly not an indicator of a good performance by a player. However it's not the only important data indicator of a good performance.

I'd be pretty bloody surprised and amazed if coaches didn't assign and track a range of different indicators that have weighted importance assigned to them, depending on the gameplan, tactics and roles each player is performing. Once medically cleared, the selection committee have to weigh up whether Cody can perform a particular role given his restricted movement. I don't find it too hard a stretch to think that in the wash-up the Match Committee settled on the thought that once cleared to play Hawthorn would definitely plan for Cody as being a potentially effective scoring threat they would need to counter. That's something that we could potentially exploit and tactically use to our advantage. I reckon Cody was given a very specifically defined role to play last night, that probably was quite different from his usual role.

I thought the forward line last night looked as threatening as it has in a long while, even with Cody's 1 possie game. All forwards had opportunities to impact the game, and they all did in some capacity, whether by goals, tackles, marks, passes, or maintaining effective forward pressure. Even Cody was unluckily denied a goal (and another possie!), which Westy subsequently kicked.

I don't think the fact that we had a nice spread of goalkickers last night is insignificant. I'd like to see some stats on how often we went to Cody as first option, or whether he was given a role that predominantly saw him being evaluated on some very specific set of indicators, maybe defensive pressure stats, blocks to enable other forwards to get the jump on an opponent to instigate a lead, or maybe how many times Cody led to spaces (as a known decoy to his teamates) and therefore dragged the Hawks defensive unit out of shape, bringing lanes or one on one opportunities for other forwards.

I think Cody played a role last night, and I think as a really specific short term tactic it worked well and allowed West, Shache, JUH and Naughts to look really dangerous as a unit.

He may not get a TV like Robbert Klomp did for winning BOG for a 7(?) possie game in the early 80's, but I think when his line coach reviews his performance with him Cody will be getting some pretty positive feedback based on the very specific indicators they were judging him on.

Post Thanks / Like

My vote for post of the year YHF. Clubhouse leader.

12. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Classic shit housery

14. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    Nah, Jose in that Prelim still takes the cake.
    How about Hudson running in front of Grant on goal line, last qtr '97 prelim?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Classic shit housery

$1000 fine for misconduct

17. Likes Grantysghost, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornInDroopSt'54 View Post
    One of my very good mates was an assistant to Huddo at Sandy.
    I may have gone to a function with free booze and asked Paul that very question. This was me...

Suffice to say I needed to smooth things over the next time I saw him xD (he was fine).

19. Thanks BornInDroopSt'54 thanked for this post
    Likes Happy Days, The Underdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I fully accept that selecting a one armed player is a master stroke. Nobody at Hawthorn was expecting it and by the time they had woken up to the ploy the game was over.

But this will not stand as the greatest selection idea of all time because all coaches are going to try to out genius it.

I suspect one of them is going to dig up a deceased player and tie them to a goal post to act as a decoy. The only problem is all are turning in their grave and looking too active.

21. Likes Grantysghost, EasternWest, jeemak, ratsmac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornInDroopSt'54 View Post
    We were talking about picking injured players.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

I don’t think you can make one of the all time selection blunders in a 7 goal win but I guess when Schache and Sweet both get picked you’ve gotta find some new material.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    I don’t think you can make one of the all time selection blunders in a 7 goal win but I guess when Schache and Sweet both get picked you’ve gotta find some new material.
    I thought Sweet allowing Reeves to dominate in the first quarter was a masterstroke and allowed him to rope a dope Reeves into thinking he was awesome, so that Sweet could work his way into the game after that.

25. Likes jeemak, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot liked this post