Thanks Thanks:  22
Likes Likes:  161
Page 24 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1415161718192021222324252627 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: WB Game Day V Brisbane Lions R16 2022

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Do we send him to enough midfield contests to think that might make a difference?
    In those few games last year when he return to the team and prior to his 2nd knee injury, McLean really gave us better balance and opposition accountability in the midfield. I know it was a small sample size but on the eye test it just worked.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

2. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    I don't care what the stats say, our midfield is one of the softest in the league. They continually shit the bed when the pressure is on.

Stop blaming Gardner, how much can he do when standing under an avalanche.

Stop blaming Schache, when there is drought of decent delivery into the forward line.

Our midfield are nice pretty boys, including Bont. They need a big Rick Kennedy kick up the arse.
    While I think we have a great midfield I'm not sure we use them the right way. There isn't enough of the defensive aspect that we need to use at times. I mentioned during the trade period discussions that we should have looked towards George Hewitt who has a great mix of both ball getting and accountability that was lacking in our midfield rotations.

It's a conundrum for us at the moment, a highlight talented midfield group but one that lets us down in more games than they should.

I agree it's not a Schache and Gardner problem.
    I'll bite.

Our midfield is the best in the competition bar none. They work off a handicap in the form of sub-par rucking and still register the best clearance differential league-wide. Close to the best inside fifty differential. They're incredible.

Macrae, Bontempelli, Liberatore are generational players. Treloar is a jet, Dunkley would make any side better. Baz could be anything.

I'm all for asking questions at this point, but let's direct them to the areas of the ground that actually require attention.

We're currently playing three key defenders who wouldn't get a game for many other teams. Keath has fallen miles aways from his 2021 form, Gardner (who has improved) has gone from a whipping boy to incredibly overrated, O'Brien is depth.

Our forward line is disorganised, possibly the worst in the league at creating space and clear options for the mids. How many times have we won the inside fifty count this year and lost? I don't accept that it's down to ball use going inside fifty. When a forward line functions well, there's a clear option presented to the ball carrier. The year is 2022, the mids get one second to sum up their options, the forwards need to make life easier for the mids, not the other way around.
    'And the Western suburbs erupt!'

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scorlibo View Post
    I'll bite.

Our midfield is the best in the competition bar none. They work off a handicap in the form of sub-par rucking and still register the best clearance differential league-wide. Close to the best inside fifty differential. They're incredible.

Macrae, Bontempelli, Liberatore are generational players. Treloar is a jet, Dunkley would make any side better. Baz could be anything.

I'm all for asking questions at this point, but let's direct them to the areas of the ground that actually require attention.

We're currently playing three key defenders who wouldn't get a game for many other teams. Keath has fallen miles aways from his 2021 form, Gardner (who has improved) has gone from a whipping boy to incredibly overrated, O'Brien is depth.

Our forward line is disorganised, possibly the worst in the league at creating space and clear options for the mids. How many times have we won the inside fifty count this year and lost? I don't accept that it's down to ball use going inside fifty. When a forward line functions well, there's a clear option presented to the ball carrier. The year is 2022, the mids get one second to sum up their options, the forwards need to make life easier for the mids, not the other way around.
    Some balanced views there… nice work.

However…. Our mids are all see ball, get ball and as a group are extremely poor in the turnover game as they don’t hunt for an opponent and all seem to coast. They all don’t kick the ball well either…. We get lots of looks, but don’t hurt the opposition enough.

The backline to a man can’t defend. Dale is purely an attacker, a really good one, but doesn’t defend. Agree on the key backs… as a group they’re poor and get beaten by their opponents too often.

Forwardline isn’t great, but generally isn’t made up of true forwards… but need to squeeze all our mids in! The leading patterns are poor and we seem to get in each other’s way constantly…. But maybe with a new line coach it will take time??
    Last edited by Mantis; 01-07-2022 at 11:27 AM.

5. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Likes Sedat, merantau, azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    So how is the fact that McStay was used as a decoy O’Brien’s fault?

Maybe he should’ve zoned off a bit more to assist others, but I don’t think he was an issue last night.
    McStay saw half as much of the ball as usual. And since when have players been selected as decoys. That was fake news to justify selecting an unfit player, now for some reason it is a’thing’???

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    McStay saw half as much of the ball as usual. And since when have players been selected as decoys. That was fake news to justify selecting an unfit player, now for some reason it is a’thing’???
    Dunno if you noticed but McStay is actually alive so I don’t think this evidences whatever point you were trying to make last week.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

8. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Dunno if you noticed but McStay is actually alive so I don’t think this evidences whatever point you were trying to make last week.
    McStay was not only alive and well but playing on his home turf after a longer break than the Dogs. His selection was due to his proven ability to get the ball frequently and reliably keep the scoring ticking over by kicking goals and giving others opportunities.

Last night he was taken out of the game. You could say O’Brien killed him (In a football sense).

10. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Really? Especially with all the issues you have pointed out.

What part of the geelong loss and the effort last night gives you hope?
    I can't see a run coming. That team looked pretty cooked after throwing all they had at an actual contender.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    McStay was not only alive and well but playing on his home turf after a longer break than the Dogs. His selection was due to his proven ability to get the ball frequently and reliably keep the scoring ticking over by kicking goals and giving others opportunities.

Last night he was taken out of the game. You could say O’Brien killed him (In a football sense).
    Damn I’m actually agreeing with you. To be fair to me you can’t actually expect me to read the thread back.

Post Thanks / Like

TOB is fine.

Not the answer, not a star, but he can be 'fine' if he's got the right support around him.

The problem is he doesn't and my concern is that one is finished (Keath) while another isn't up to the level (Gardner). Put TOB in Melbourne's side and he would be solid.
    W00F!

14. Likes DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thought Keath and TOB were fine and Gardner was pretty brutal. The issue is that they give us nothing other than defense, which they don’t even do well. You can live with it with Gardner but O’Brien was brought in specifically to improve the intercept game.

If we can get them to create transition rather than stoppages it will make Dale, Daniel and Richards all the more dangerous. But I don’t think they can.

16. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    TOB is fine.

Not the answer, not a star, but he can be 'fine' if he's got the right support around him.

The problem is he doesn't and my concern is that one is finished (Keath) while another isn't up to the level (Gardner). Put TOB in Melbourne's side and he would be solid.
    Wouldn't be surprised if Keath is carrying an injury. Coming off the ground he looked like man double his age. Determined to get that extra year maybe.

Post Thanks / Like

TOB is fine.

Priority has got to be a quality back.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Priority has got to be a quality back.
    Or two.

Post Thanks / Like

TOB is fine.

I agree, no problems with TOB. He's not going to be a star for us but lets see if we can get him to that solid stage.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I agree, no problems with TOB. He's not going to be a star for us but lets see if we can get him to that solid stage.
    What does he do though? Seriously I watch every week, I don't put him under a microscope though. I just can't see what he brings to this team, someone please educate me if I'm wrong. Everyone said when we got him he'll be our Easton Wood. He isn't even close to Easton on his last legs.

22. Likes Bullies liked this post