Thanks Thanks:  21
Likes Likes:  121
Page 26 of 31 FirstFirst ... 16171819202122232425262728293031 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: WB Game Day V Sydney Swans R17 2022

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    The move reeks of desperation.

I keep coming back to list management - how can we continually draft half back flankers and out of 40 odd players on a list, have less than 4 who can actually DEFEND. That's not just key defenders, that's ANY defender.
    It's a good point, I get why we like the more attacking players but we could balance it a lot better.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Against the Saints I would imagine Cordy or TOB are a chance.
    Why was O'Brien who has been performing pretty much the same way all season sonehow on the nose after last week?

How would his confidence be going being replaced by Hannan?

I can see woofers are split between blaming coaches or players but....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    But we have to play the best ruck/ forward in the league as a pure ruck otherwise he will leave.

That's how *!*!*!*!en selfish our team is.

We have the perfect player to fill the hardest position on the ground to fill, and the *!*!*!*! only wants to play the position he is worst at for some ridiculous reason.
    That is actually BS talk.

English is our number one ruck. Sweet is a long way off as he can't find the ball around the ground.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    I know you've brought this up a few times but it's really valid.
    So we get Lobb in 2023 who is a middle-of-the-road stoppage ruckman and a dangerous forward, which is basically the same skill set that English possesses.

Then what do we do with Bruce in 2023? JUH? Darcy? If we spend 500-700k a season on 29yo Lobb, what currency do we have to lure AFL quality key defenders, which is clearly a more pressing need?
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

5. Likes merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

But we have to play the best ruck/ forward in the league as a pure ruck otherwise he will leave.

We have the perfect player to fill the hardest position on the ground to fill, and the *!*!*!*! only wants to play the position he is worst at for some ridiculous reason.
    When Tim comes up at the footy inside 50 he is so hard to stop, he looks really naturally there. If only Schache had his hands...

I like Sweet, I think he gives our mids best chance at the clearance we seem to be able dominate periods when he is in there.

Post Thanks / Like

That's a *!*!*!*!ing good point.

Tail wagging the dog(s). See what I did there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post

English is our number one ruck. Sweet is a long way off as he can't find the ball around the ground.
    It's actually not. It was brought up last season on a post game press conference and Bevo said that himself.

9. Thanks jeemak thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    So we get Lobb in 2023 who is a middle-of-the-road stoppage ruckman and a dangerous forward, which is basically the same skill set that English possesses.

Then what do we do with Bruce in 2023? JUH? Darcy? If we spend 500-700k a season on 29yo Lobb, what currency do we have to lure AFL quality key defenders, which is clearly a more pressing need?
    Just on that what would we have to give up to land Lobb? Is a 2nd rounder going to get it done?
    I have a slight concern that we have more pressing needs in the back line.

Remember how we chased Cloke before winning the GF in 2016 and we had basically committed to a player that we really didn't need.
    To me Lobb is a sweetener to a team around the top 4 mark. If we need to break things up a bit at the end of the season and do a refresh is he still the right player?
    Last edited by GVGjr; 09-07-2022 at 12:14 AM. Reason: more added
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

11. Thanks HOSE B ROMERO thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    It's actually not. It was brought up last season on a post game press conference and Bevo said that himself.
    Link?

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Link?
    I honestly can't remember when it was BD. Someone else with a better memory can find it. It was after a loss and English had his pants pulked down, that was his answer.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes he defintely did. I can't find it but I remember it clearly.

It was along the lines of Tim wanted to play more ruck time not forward.

Post Thanks / Like

He finds our mids though, we get much clearer exits from the stoppage when he is in there

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Just on that what would we have to give up to land Lobb? Is a 2nd rounder going to get it done?
    Whatever the trade ends up being, the salary expectation for someone who is essentially a facsimile version of what we already have is puzzling to me.

We have urgent pressing needs elsewhere that I'd like us to address first, but it looks like Lobb is our man.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post

It's a good question.

I think we have holes literally everywhere. Bruce is close to done and I'm not banking on him whatsoever for next year, Marra is still a long way off it, Darcy hasn't played a game and might be a defender?

Lobb at least gives both Naughton and English support. Good sides continually outmark us and I'm a firm believer in two rucks. It means we don't have somebody like Schache who has no impact forward and no impact as a ruck.

However, you bring up a good point - does it impact our ability to address an even bigger weakness which are our key defenders? It kinda has to, doesn't it?

It will never happen but I'd rather trade all of Dunkley, Hunter and Macrae to fix issues at both ends. Sadly this isn't fantasy football so it's pointless mentioning that, but my point is as good as Dunks/Hunter/Macrae are, you can always find good mids.

In short, it's an interesting off season because whilst Lobb helps his recruitment is absolutely worthless if Keath and Gardner are still our key backs next year.
    W00F!

18. Likes Sedat, merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I honestly can't remember when it was BD. Someone else with a better memory can find it. It was after a loss and English had his pants pulked down, that was his answer.
    I think that was more of describing what he would like. But I don't believe he said he would leave if he didn't get what he wants.