Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2122232425262728293031
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: WB Game Day V Sydney Swans R17 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Why?
    Some more experience in coaching.

Are you happy with the assistants?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post

I'd be ok with Leon back he's a dog's man at heart.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post

I have no idea if our assistants are good at the their job, but based on the performance of the groups they look after you would have to say that we haven't seen any improvement in each line... so I'm not happy.

Sure Leon is experienced, but is he any good? Was given the keys to a Ferrari, but did he get the best out of that group?

4. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Aflca votes :

Sydney v Western Bulldogs

9 Chad Warner (SYD)
    8 Tom Papley (SYD)
    6 Sam Reid (SYD)
    4 Paddy McCartin (SYD)
    2 Isaac Heeney (SYD)
    1 Callum Mills (SYD)

LEADERBOARD

84 Clayton Oliver (MELB)
    72 Andrew Brayshaw (FRE)
    72 Touk Miller (GCFC)
    68 Lachie Neale (BL)
    67 Christian Petracca (MELB)
    65 Patrick Cripps (CARL)
    63 Jeremy Cameron (GEEL)
    62 Connor Rozee (PORT)
    49 Callum Mills (SYD)
    46 Charlie Curnow (CARL)
    46 James Sicily (HAW)
    45 Sam Walsh (CARL)
    45 Peter Wright (ESS)
    43 Hugh McCluggage (BL)
    43 Bailey Smith (WB)
    42 Jack Crisp (COLL)
    42 Jack Sinclair (STK)
    41 Sam Docherty (CARL)
    41 Darcy Parish (ESS)

Post Thanks / Like

Sure Leon is experienced, but is he any good? Was given the keys to a Ferrari, but did he get the best out of that group?
    Cameron feels like a real enigma to me. I never saw him play but people tell me he played nothing like the thugs at GWS. That whole team is tall, with great leg speed, and by all reports (and all evidence) play to cause bruises. People tell me Leon was silky, not thuggish.

I often wonder whether he was really comfortable at GWS. I think he and the rest of his team built a really solid side with a lot of mental fortitude and a great system. Their massive turnover didn't help, and in the end their mental fortitude faltered at the last second, and they've never really recovered. Was that a flaw, or just bad luck? No idea. Eerily similar problem, to us now (the mental fortitude bit - our system sucks).

Could we use him? Maybe if his systemic thinking is good.

Post Thanks / Like

All class as a player. Probably a bit like Whitfield.

Post Thanks / Like

He is not.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Is it really up to the coaches to stop that limp dick start to the quarter? That was all sorts of *!*!*!*!ing pathetic and had nothing to do with coaching.
    Getting the playing group ready for the game is job number one. Motivated, skilled, fit and healthy. Tactics are job number two
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    Getting the playing group ready for the game is job number one. Motivated, skilled, fit and healthy. Tactics are job number two
    Says you.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Says you.
    Bevo obviously sees that as his role if he is coming up with a different theme each week to get the boys going. They bought in to the cape buffalo story this week and used it in their celebrations, brought their A game and got the win, credit to Bevo. But a lacklustre showing against Sydney is at Bevo's feet as well
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Bevo obviously sees that as his role if he is coming up with a different theme each week to get the boys going. They bought in to the cape buffalo story this week and used it in their celebrations, brought their A game and got the win, credit to Bevo. But a lacklustre showing against Sydney is at Bevo's feet as well
    Does your boss or manager need to rev you up to go to work? I mean, apart from hopefully providing a supporting environment in which you can get the best out of yourself?

Or do you just make sure you rock up ready to go, with some occasional gaps between your best and worst that aren't massive chasms?

The gaps between good and bad we see with our playing group and have seen over the years are between their own ears. Yes footy is different to most other occupations, but at some point rocking up ready to go as an individual and as part of the collective should just be permission to play.

I don't see that with this group. All of the consistently good teams have player ownership of performance at the forefront of their ethos, but we never seem to.

Post Thanks / Like

Does your boss or manager need to rev you up to go to work? I mean, apart from hopefully providing a supporting environment in which you can get the best out of yourself?

Or do you just make sure you rock up ready to go, with some occasional gaps between your best and worst that aren't massive chasms?

The gaps between good and bad we see with our playing group and have seen over the years are between their own ears. Yes footy is different to most other occupations, but at some point rocking up ready to go as an individual and as part of the collective should just be permission to play.

I don't see that with this group. All of the consistently good teams have player ownership of performance at the forefront of their ethos, but we never seem to.
    Is the problem with specific individuals? I think you're making my point with your group references. You can let Stringer go, watch him be the same guy at Essendon and say "well that's on Jake". But if it's the whole group you're questioning?

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Is the problem with specific individuals? I think you're making my point with your group references. You can let Stringer go, watch him be the same guy at Essendon and say "well that's on Jake". But if it's the whole group you're questioning?
    I don't know enough about the group, or how they function intimately to say.

But they just seem to have a laconic nature about them visually, to the extent where someone like West comes in and we're shocked by how much he wants to fight for the nut like his life depends on it. And how some of the core midfielders can bring that some weeks but during other weeks it simply isn't there.

It probably drives the MC bonkers as much as it does us supporters, and possibly some of the playing group as well. I just can't put down the massive gap between them being switched on or otherwise to anything other than the players themselves because it doesn't feel logical to do so.

They clearly can do it, they have shown they can. Why wouldn't it just be the standard they bring each week?

15. Likes boydogs liked this post