Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  94
Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: WB Game Day V Fremantle R21 2022

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Macrae is, outside of Smith and Bont sometimes, the only midfielder who consistently has the balls to run at the defence and try and get the football forward with multiple possession chains between the arcs. Losing him would be a nightmare for us.
    Maybe…but what I don’t like about Macrae’s game is that he is a treadmill runner, can have very poor body language, and his disposal “can” be totally unacceptable. He can get possessions no doubt, but how many of those possessions put us in a worst scenario, or a low handball? Grubber kick ?

If anything, I’d move him to the wing. We can’t afford his turtle like persona in the middle when we are under siege to stop the rot.

Either the MC has no idea, or the mids that are in there are too egotistical to set us a defensive mindset.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

Man that was some weak bullshit from us tonight. Just a total non-effort without the ball and seemingly a complete unwillingness to play to a man and actually work to create a turnover. Really, really pissed off with it.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post
    Maybe…but what I don’t like about Macrae’s game is that he is a treadmill runner, can have very poor body language, and his disposal “can” be totally unacceptable. He can get possessions no doubt, but how many of those possessions put us in a worst scenario, or a low handball? Grubber kick ?

If anything, I’d move him to the wing. We can’t afford his turtle like persona in the middle when we are under siege to stop the rot.

Either the MC has no idea, or the mids that are in there are too egotistical to set us a defensive mindset.
    Jacko goes at ~77% disposal efficiency and ~400m gained a week. Libba goes at ~75%, Dunkley at ~73%. For metres gained the latter two go at ~300 and ~220 respectively. In tackles they're sitting at JM ~4, TL ~5 and JD 5.5.

Dunkley hits the scoreboard better than both at almost a goal a game, but he plays more forward than the other two.

Anyway, because Jacko gets so much of the footy and actually runs at the defence and tries to cut through it he can come unstuck, but his role is crucial.

Interestingly, on the abovementioned stats Smith sits at ~66 efficiency and ~500m gained. He also sits at the same tackle count as Jacko.

The more metres you try and gain, the worse your disposal will likely get because you have to be going flat out.

But, I do agree that Jacko could be more defencively minded, but that's a team/ midfield thing for mine.

Jacko vs. Libba - https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/...&fid1=S&fid2=S

Jacko vs. Dunks - https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/...&fid1=S&fid2=S

Jacko vs. Smith - https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/...&fid1=S&fid2=S
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

4. Likes soupman, DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Man that was some weak bullshit from us tonight. Just a total non-effort without the ball and seemingly a complete unwillingness to play to a man and actually work to create a turnover. Really, really pissed off with it.
    You seem forlorn, no lols, not even one?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    You seem forlorn, no lols, not even one?
    Nah I got nothing. Now that the dust has settled I guess whatever Darcy was trying to do when he gave away that 50 was pretty funny.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

7. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Nah I got nothing. Now that the dust has settled I guess whatever Darcy was trying to do when he gave away that 50 was pretty funny.
    And when Bont said I'm bouncing like it's 85 at Bojangles?

Post Thanks / Like

He should get six for that.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm still confused at what to do with English. He couldn't get a fingernail near it at centre bounce he is such a liability unless the ball hits the ground, he never puts our mids in dangerous positions. When was the last time we excited the stoppage out the front?

Around the ground he is a different beast. How do we get the best out of of Tim?

11. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kruder View Post
    I'm still confused at what to do with English. He couldn't get a fingernail near it at centre bounce he is such a liability unless the ball hits the ground, he never puts our mids in dangerous positions. When was the last time we excited the stoppage out the front?

Around the ground he is a different beast. How do we get the best out of of Tim?
    Trade in Brody Grundy like I said in the trading thread, and get them to play fifty fifty ruck/ forward and mixing it up behind the ball.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kruder View Post

Today he spent too much time trying to help out the backline.

In general the problem is when he is poor around the ground. He can’t impact the game.

His efforts against Sydney and Brisbane were bloody awful.

I’d be ok with say trading him for a genuine ruckman like Darcy which then by default helps with our midfield mix.

Is English’s around the ground work good enough for him to be selected as a mid on merit?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Argh sorry for your son mate!

You have to be made of stern stuff to follow the dogs thats for sure. But we've been lucky of late.
    Hopefully he will see some good times ahead!
    Nah mate, he's got to toughen up. Today was nothing in comparison to some of the losses I've experienced.

15. Likes jeemak, Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    Nah mate, he's got to toughen up. Today was nothing in comparison to some of the losses I've experienced.
    That Freo game in 2003 when Rove’s cousin carved us up and Sam’s dad gave away 100 x 50 metre penalties.

I stayed till the end as self flagellation I think.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    Hahahaha, intergenerational savageness. Love it.

I copped some of the most massive sprays I've ever copped from my dad at the footy. I reckon that game against Norf where we got done by 136pts in 96 took the cake. About five minutes to go in the second we were down by a lot and I tried to cheer my old man up and say we're still a chance if we just kick a couple before half time.

He brought me back down to earth pretty quickly.

18. Likes jazzadogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Our midfield have regressed this year from the dominant group of last year.What are the reasons? Is it simplistic to lay it at the feet of our new midfield coach? We can blame the mindset of the players but isn’t that a coaching responsibility too? Is the message not getting through, or are we tactically weak? I can’t really see a lot of innovation in what we’re trying to do.

I hope the club commits to a searching and honest review. There is still an unbelievable amount of talent on this list and emerging stars like Jamarra and Darcy. We should be contending, surely, but this year has never really fired right from our lame effort in Round 1 and I’d hate to see another couple of years down the drain.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post
    Our midfield have regressed this year from the dominant group of last year.What are the reasons? Is it simplistic to lay it at the feet of our new midfield coach? We can blame the mindset of the players but isn’t that a coaching responsibility too? Is the message not getting through, or are we tactically weak? I can’t really see a lot of innovation in what we’re trying to do.

I hope the club commits to a searching and honest review. There is still an unbelievable amount of talent on this list and emerging stars like Jamarra and Darcy. We should be contending, surely, but this year has never really fired right from our lame effort in Round 1 and I’d hate to see another couple of years down the drain.
    Do you think Bont carried us to a GF last year? He was so dominant that we were blinded that there were gaps?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.