Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  94
Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415161718 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: WB Game Day V Fremantle R21 2022

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Do you think Bont carried us to a GF last year? He was so dominant that we were blinded that there were gaps?
    Maybe…that’s an interesting take on it. He’s certainly been a shadow of himself, but what’s happened to the rest of them? I can’t believe the decline in Jack Macrae who was so reliable no matter what.

I think of those scintillating finals against Brisbane and Port and can’t understand what’s gone wrong.

There was that ominous stat about teams thrashed in GFs falling apart. I hoped it wasn’t right because we hadn’t had that kind of obliteration from the first bounce scenario of others who floundered the following year. Maybe it was something worse, though - leading and then losing that way.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

Post Thanks / Like

I've been formulating a theory about why we seem to go up, get figured out, seem to go back and then go up again.

Bevo in his years at St Bedes Mentone has talked about how there was a huge change in personnel across the years where they won three in a row going up the grades, which simply never happens in the ammos until it does. Essentially, they went up grades and personnel changed due to the attractiveness of the club going up sections, and they continued to win.

My theory is that in lieu of not having the personnel we want or need consistently or coming in as required, we go up and get maxed out/ figured out, go back down again, make a few adjustments and then go up again. The core is pretty much there, but we fiddle around the edges to see if we can get the mix right and adjust the game plan/ system accordingly.

And if you look at the GF side from last year versus the teams we've played this year, or the GF side from 2016 versus the teams we played in the subsequent years organically or otherwise there's been a level of change along the way.

Anyway, the point of all of this is we can only take the tweaks so far and actually need some step change recruitment to disrupt the mix as quickly as possible as we don't have the luxury of the rebuild we had after we realised 2017 was going to fizzle out, given Jacko, Bont and a few others are further down the line in their careers.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

3. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I reserve the right to change my mind after a good nights sleep BUT:

That was a really deflating performance. I made a point on Twitter to the effect that this performance has shaken my belief in this iteration of the team. In recent seasons I’ve maintained that on our day, we are good enough, and the challenge is about ensuring we have enough of “our days.” Point being, the talent is there and it stacks up well against anyone. I’ve also maintained that we haven’t learned a great deal new about the squad since 2019, the strengths have been clear and the losses seem to feel familiar and procedural.

IÂ’ve been heavily critical of Bevo at various points since 2018. Not so much this year because of personnel changes in the coaching ranks and challenges in getting the right players fit and ready to go. His efforts through the lockdown to get the boys up and firing earned some credits in the bank. Not a heap, but enough to keep me from getting stuck in.

So IÂ’ve been toiling with what exactly is on the nose for me. If itÂ’s not the coach, and it canÂ’t be, because heÂ’s been going OK, then it must be the players, but they are as talented a group weÂ’ve pulled together. Their best footy is as close to perfect as IÂ’ve ever seen. So what is it?

My worry right now is that itÂ’s both. WeÂ’re broken and will miss the finals and are close to seeing the rot set in.

- We are disorganised and lack cohesion in transition. ThatÂ’s on the coaches.
    - we play joyless footy. ThatÂ’s shared.
    - we get bullied and turn our toes up too often. ThatÂ’s on the players.

For as good as the coach is and for as talented as the squad is. Collectively they arenÂ’t good enough, they arenÂ’t coached well enough. They arenÂ’t tough enough. ThereÂ’s nothing special about them at the moment. TheyÂ’re a far cry from a side IÂ’d say play footy that is emblematic of our best qualities as club.

ItÂ’s just been such a one note, meandering style of footy and performance and feels like we are pissing away the best years of some great players.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey SoS, not a bad post at all.

Quick question, how does our defencive structure rate against any of the decent and good teams? How do the players we have playing in key defencive posts rate against our top eight to ten peers?

Post Thanks / Like

Just for the woofers who weren't at the game, our zone was Essendon like and that says a lot.

I must say that was one of the most pathetic performances I've seen live under Bevo. Did our coaches box make any moves at all?

It was unbelievable how many times we gave up the short option, valuing guarding space more that the player which directly lead to a goal. You have never seen anything like it. Well not ever, It was Essendon like all over the park today, it was such an embarrassing performance. I'm pretty sure they had 18 plus marks inside 50.

I still think this is the most talent we have ever had on the list in my time as a bulldog. I'm not too sure where next? It's time for Bevo to get uncomfortable in his seat there is no doubt about it. He was poor post match I think he gave the players a pass again he needs to go harder at times. A big offseason for the club, get it right and we can challenge again. It's time for Kylie and Ameet to earn their stripes.
    Last edited by kruder; 07-08-2022 at 11:58 AM.

7. Likes Vred, G-Mo77 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Hey SoS, not a bad post at all.

Quick question, how does our defencive structure rate against any of the decent and good teams? How do the players we have playing in key defencive posts rate against our top eight to ten peers?
    I thought today our defence was disgusting, we were incapable of actually defending the ground. But, our best performance on the night was Richards in a defensive post.

We break down in transition too easily & they practically walked in 6 goals from the sort of footy out of the front of centre clearances, or a lost contest at half forward that has crippled us all year. Almost not fair to judge the actual backline on that, they are hung out to dry by the rest of the squads inability to impose any defensive will on the contest.

Geelong, Freo, Melbourne, Sydney and Carlton all held their shape against us much better than we’ve been able to at any point this year. They defend up the field and their backline win the ball back. Don’t think we do enough of that. Darcy an important player for us to perhaps control a bit of the ball coming in via marks in the D50

Post Thanks / Like

Well... That was the most insipid, rancid, slow, crap, chasing our tails game I have seen under Bevo in a long, long time.

What the f%%% was that?

Expected Score / Actual Score (Expected Accuracy / Actual Accuracy)
    WB: 87 / 78 (47% / 42%)
    FR: 80 / 95 (49% / 58%)

We actually beat them on expected score.

80% d50 1 on 1 losses v 17%?!

I know we are bad but THAT bad? Seriously, 80% ...

Pressure Gauge
    Q1

WB: 174 (Below Average)
    FR: 173 (Below Average)
    Q2
    WB: 171 (Below Average)
    FR: 209 (Elite)
    Q3
    WB: 148 (Poor, VERY POOR)
    FR: 177 (Below Average)
    Q4
    WB: 181 (Average)
    FR: 183 (Average)

Q3 we put up the worst pressure we've put up all year...

We were -7km in total distance running. We were behind all night and ran less then they did...

Body language from the team at the game was completely dismal as well, lotta yelling, finger pointing, dropped heads, specially at the break before the last quarter, body language from all including staff was telling (Was sitting just near interchange).

Something stinks and I don't know what it is but for a 'do or die' game, it was woeful.
    "Its always good to win the Ashes test match'' - Libba, AFL Grand Final, 2016

10. Likes merantau, Grantysghost, Dry Rot, Bullies liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

To concede two goals in the last minute before a break is risible. Add in the significance of the game for our season and it is CRIMINAL!

And it is not as if that is a rare event for us. We concede goals at the end of quarters with such monotonous regularity that it has become our default. The opposition EXPECT it to happen! They are coached to take advantage of this flaw in our DNA.

"OK, lads we know that with two minutes to go all the Dogs players are thinking of is getting back into the rooms and tucking in to the oranges , jelly beans and Gatorade so lets fill our boots and kick a goal - or two."

FFS!! I am so disgusted when I think about it. Just an abject surrender. Wedid not fire a shot, played like a rabble, played the dumbest football ever, fumbled, mis-kicked, dropped marks, missed tackles, failed to tackle, failed to shepard, failed set shots, lacked connection, ran to the wrong positions - need I go on? A bone fide nightmare because the game was so important. Over and OUT!
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by merantau View Post
    To concede two goals in the last minute before a break is risible. Add in the significance of the game for our season and it is CRIMINAL!

And it is not as if that is a rare event for us. We concede goals at the end of quarters with such monotonous regularity that it has become our default. The opposition EXPECT it to happen! They are coached to take advantage of this flaw in our DNA.

"OK, lads we know that with two minutes to go all the Dogs players are thinking of is getting back into the rooms and tucking in to the oranges , jelly beans and Gatorade so lets fill our boots and kick a goal - or two."

FFS!! I am so disgusted when I think about it. Just an abject surrender. Wedid not fire a shot, played like a rabble, played the dumbest football ever, fumbled, mis-kicked, dropped marks, missed tackles, failed to tackle, failed to shepard, failed set shots, lacked connection, ran to the wrong positions - need I go on? A bone fide nightmare because the game was so important. Over and OUT!
    Credit has to go to Longmuir he really set them up to win.

With the ball they were patient, they didn’t give our intercept players much to feed on and skilfully worked it into dangerous positions almost using our defensive plan against us. They rendered it pretty useless and their ability to mark in dangerous positions inside 50 was testament to that. Brilliant game plan execution.

When we had it, it’s was pretty basic stuff. One on one footy, everyone had a man they were responsible for as we were exiting their forward 50. Other times when they zoned off they wasn’t any sagging or cheating just total commitment to the cause.

In dispute their guys just hunted everything. First time I’d seen Brayshaw and Serong up close and man was I impressed. Not only hard but clean. I watched Brayshaw hunt the ball carrier from about 20 metres away, circling the outside of the pack and when he got his chance just nailed the tackle with absolute commitment to the task of getting it back for his team.

Mundy is all class why is he retiring again ? Come to us ! Will Brodie gives them a fierce contest in the guts.

I was super impressed with their defence too. Luke Ryan is a gun, and has some mongrel. I think he was matched up with Marra so if Marra had of kicked straight might’ve evened it out a bit but Ryan had 32 touches and most metres gained for Freo.
    Pearce, again first time I’d seen him up close : really nice player. His speed was what really stood out to me. Kicking looks a bit iffy but it goes where he wants it to.

FWIW Logue looked ok to me too, had a real crack plays with physicality so if we were in the market I’d be fine with that.

Our effort was really poor, but some of that came from Freo’s ability to frustrate our guys all game.

If we can get Matty Boyd across after he’s tutelage with Longmuir I think that would be a positive move.

Man what a horrible season. Only third time in eight seasons we’ve missed finals under Bevo. Two coming after GF appearances.

13. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Likes merantau, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just watched the presser, Bevo seemed as if he was smelling burnt toast he was that angry.

Was actually quite respectful though, credit to him.

Post Thanks / Like

A lot of things went wrong last night. Hardly anything went right and we lost by 17 points. But it did look like we were clearly out coached and they had the superior game plan. Losing both King and Hansen was a massive blow and that we didn’t replace long term A Grade assistants with A grade talent is disappointing. I know Hansen left late and caught us off guard but we knew King was leaving.

Does Bevo actually enjoy being the genius with a 1,000 helpers or does he actually want to bring in talented A Grade coaching staff who will challenge him, bring in new ideas and make us better.

Post Thanks / Like

Wrong thread
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Just watched the presser, Bevo seemed as if he was smelling burnt toast he was that angry.

Was actually quite respectful though, credit to him.
    He certainly seemed more “realist” than “optimist” on this occasion. Glad the question about Bruce was asked and I’d expect him to make way for Schache this week.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    He certainly seemed more “realist” than “optimist” on this occasion. Glad the question about Bruce was asked and I’d expect him to make way for Schache this week.
    I thought he sat on the fence there. Saying you have to reward VFL but also saying it was a lopsided game and will review at the end of the week.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kruder View Post
    Just for there woofers who weren't at the game, our zone was Essendon like and that says a lot.

I must say that was one of the most pathetic performances I've seen live under Bevo. Did our coaches box make any moves at all?

It was unbelievable how many times we gave up the short option, valuing guarding space more that the player which directly lead to a goal. You have never seen anything like it. Well not ever, It was Essendon like all over the park today, it was such an embarrassing performance. I'm pretty sure they had 18 plus marks inside 50.

I still think this is the most talent we have ever had on the list in my time as a bulldog. I'm not too sure where next? It's time for Bevo to get uncomfortable in his seat there is no doubt about it. He was poor post match I think he gave the players a pass again he needs to go harder at times. A big offseason for the club, get it right and we can challenge again. It's time for Kylie and Ameet to earn their stripes.
    Even as high as the wing we were happy to give up short passes to players on their own which gave them free ride to hit up someone like Lobb and, easy as you like, it's inside 50 for a goal. Very frustrating to watch and agree with your asessment of the zone.