Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  23
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: AFL Game Day R11 2022

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Yep, as expected the AFL has the get out of jail free card of essentially claiming the player didn't hear the whistle due to circumstances, but nothing about the technical nature of whether the rules were followed.

It's a bit like the F1 finish to last year. There are rules, but there's flexibility in them depending on the outcome you want/ think is most reasonable. On the last lap of the race, of course.
    Look, it was Lewis Hamilton so the outcome is ok.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Compare the pair.
    DeGoey or Stringer - who is the most overrated?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Compare the pair.
    DeGoey or Stringer - who is the most overrated?
    Stringer

Post Thanks / Like

Would love a pies win here. Neither team look clinical. I still don’t rate the Blues. That loss pisses me right off.

Post Thanks / Like

Pies win.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornInDroopSt'54 View Post
    Pies win.
    Yay. Carlton have a soft underbelly

7. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    No free for me, thought the umps handled the situation perfectly.

Has there been a better player to watch in full flight than Buddy, not for mine he's such a joy to watch.
    Ablett Snr. 50 every day of the week. Go Pies!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Ablett Snr. 50 every day of the week. Go Pies!
    I still don't understand why it's 50?

Players kick the ball 'on' after free-kicks all the time and I swear 9/10 times there is no 50m penalty as 'he didn't hear the whistle' or whatever...in this case, you have a kid kicking it into the stands because he heard the siren...

Sour grapes. It isn't 50m. And if it was, it would have sucked. Great game.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, it's fifty unless the player is adjudged to have not heard the whistle. It turns out that's what the AFL is saying was the case, so discretion was used.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

On the Freo win a couple of things to note. Injuries to key defenders had an impact. Oliver was tagged in the second half. Petraca was ineffectual and Freo dominated the clearances in the second half. They played a very smart game down back maintaining a tight defensive structure so that when Melbourne did surge forward they still had a lot to contend with.
    If you bring the pressure opponents inevitably make mistakes. Freo moved the ball very quickly when the opportunity was there. They also played tempo footy when the game was in their keeping. They are a very good side.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

12. Likes bornadog, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We really need to consider doing the same when we play them

“WHY HAS IT TAKEN SO LONG…?”: THE MOVE MADE BY FREO THAT HELPED DISMANTLE THE DEMONS

A masterful move from Justin Longmuir was behind limiting one of Melbourne’s biggest assets on Saturday at the MCG as the Dockers stormed to victory.

25 points down at half-time, James Aish was handed the job of tagging midfield beast Clayton Oliver.

Oliver had 24 disposals and four inside 50s to his name at the main break, but Aish’s job on him played a big part in the win.

Oliver and Aish had 12 disposals each in the second half, the Docker winning four clearances to have the better of Melbourne’s gun midfielder in the second half as Fremantle recorded a 38-point triumph.

It has left veteran AFL recruiter Matt Rendell questioning why it’s taken so long for teams to tag Oliver.

The 24-year-old has not copped a noticeable tag in 2022, his quietest outing of 19 disposals against Port Adelaide in Round 4 of his own doing.

“Fremantle has caused all sorts of havoc… why has it taken so long for someone to tag Oliver?” Rendell asked on SEN’s The Sporting Capital.

“It just staggers me this doesn’t happen week in, week out.

“Aish did a super job, I don’t reckon he would have tagged anyone before in his life and he was magnificent on him.

“Took him right out of the game and you take out (Christian) Petracca – he was crook – but you take him and Oliver out of their (Melbourne's) game and they come back to the field a bit and you’ve got to move that ball quickly, especially with Steven May out.

“You can’t go slow, and that’s what they did. They managed to control clearances, you can get it in quick when you control that.”

Petracca also had an uncharacteristically quiet game, finishing with just 10 touches.

Oliver is averaging 34.2 disposals, 8.4 clearances and 6.5 inside 50s in 2022, career-highs in all key facets of the game.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Nah we just back ourselves and make sure we bring our best game up against whoever we play.............sigh.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

I would like to see Bailey Smith add another string to his bow. He has has the pace and the tank to go with him all day. Additionally he is as strong as an ox and has a bit of mongrel in him. I think he would relish the challenge.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Post Thanks / Like

Rhylee West isn't exactly a speedster but he seems moderately quick and he's pretty physical, could he be an option to run with?

Post Thanks / Like

I know they're only playing North but the Suns are going along OK, not a bad team to watch
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"