Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
    Post Thanks / Like

The Decline of AFL - Guardian Article

Older article, but have not seen it here. Find the search system here slightly confusing, anyway tried and could not find it. Please delete if it was already posted.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...o-afl-football

No-one knows what the rules are

Umpiring is one of the toughest jobs in football. But it is a mess. I have been playing and watching football since I was five. I have no idea what the rules are anymore. They are impossible to explain to someone new to the game. They’re in a constant state of flux. Everyone is flummoxed – fans, coaches, players, even the umpires themselves.

This was highlighted to me when I took a bunch of international students to a Bulldogs, Kangaroos game thanks to North for the tickets actually. They were all confused and all 15 wanted to leave at half time

Footy has a Channel Seven problem

Like never before, football is in the hands of the host broadcasters. Over at Fox Footy, they at least put the effort in. They have callers who are skilled in their craft. They have expert commentators who seem to take their job seriously. Crucially, they endeavour to explain the mysteries of the modern game.

On Channel Seven however, they cannot decide whether each football game is the biggest sporting event since the Thriller in Manila, or a bit of a lark, a bit of a piss-take. They often go from hyperbolic to bored senseless in the space of a quarter, sometimes in the space of one sentence. Every game is boiled down to talking points. The banter, the banality and the blokiness is a major turn off.

The talent pool has thinned

A decade ago, the AFL added two clubs that barely anyone wanted. Suddenly, there were 44 footballers running around every weekend who otherwise would have been playing at the lower levels. Even before Covid-19 struck, those competitions and traditional pathways had stalled. Tasmanian football had been left to rot. Country football was struggling. A remarkable number of teenagers were now being drafted via the Victorian private school system. Kids from disadvantaged backgrounds and remote communities were increasingly being lost to the game.

There are harder questions to answer. Are young men in Australia simply not as proficient at football as they were several decades ago? Do they now have so many distractions, and are they so cossetted, that they are not as well equipped to play what is a brutal and technically demanding sport? “The generations of today have more options,” Port Adelaide list manager Jason Cripps told the Herald Sun in 2017. “They’re not kicking the footy in the backyard, they’re not kicking it at school [and] a lot of them are sitting on devices. I’m talking the age of five to 15, so by the time they get in the talent pathway program it’s too late.” It is a view echoed by Western Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge. “We get to a point where they’re 18 and mid-20s players and they still have a long way to go with their skills,” he said. “The skill level has dropped off over time and that’s partly because of what’s happened through the pathways.”
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Decline of AFL - Guardian Article

The rule changes are what has ruined the game. These in particular completely s$%!@!%t every week when dubious frees are given:

- hands in back ( this has taken away a lot of contested marking)

- standing on the mark

- cannot run in arc when player about to take a kick . Penalised 50 m

- nominate ruck rule

- No 3rd man up rule

Every season I see it more often players ask : what was that free for ?

3. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by macca View Post
    The rule changes are what has ruined the game. These in particular completely s$%!@!%t every week when dubious frees are given:

- standing on the mark

- nominate ruck rule

- No 3rd man up rule

Since prior opportunity was brought in (1996), there have been over 40 rule changes.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by macca View Post

- standing on the mark

- nominate ruck rule

- No 3rd man up rule

You know I agree with you but Hands in the Back hasn't been a rule for a couple of years now.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Since prior opportunity was brought in (1996), there have been over 40 rule changes.
    That is damning.
    Is there another sporting code on the planet that changes rules so often?

If so, I doubt there would be one so dynamic with so many 'grey areas' to adjudicate on.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    That is damning.
    Is there another sporting code on the planet that changes rules so often?

If so, I doubt there would be one so dynamic with so many 'grey areas' to adjudicate on.
    Soccer changes rules quite often. They're quite technical most of the time so many wouldn't notice unless entrenched in the game.
    Things like offside, kicking the ball backwards to start etc have been changed recently.

My biggest annoyance is now the linesman doesn't call offside until a phase of play has finished. So you can basically play on for some time until the game stops and the offside is called.

Drives me spare just call it as you see it when you see it!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    That’s a lot of rules to interpret or misinterpret ….

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Soccer changes rules quite often. They're quite technical most of the time so many wouldn't notice unless entrenched in the game.
    Things like offside, kicking the ball backwards to start etc have been changed recently.

My biggest annoyance is now the linesman doesn't call offside until a phase of play has finished. So you can basically play on for some time until the game stops and the offside is called.

Drives me spare just call it as you see it when you see it!
    I don't know how they did it but since they bought in VAR the decision making is even worse. I hate it when my team scores now because there is an awful few moments while they review the footage and then second guess anyway. Arsenal scored on Saturday night but the VAR overruled it with the worst offside decision I've ever seen.

And even a lot of goalkeepers don't understand the rule about kicking back to the goalkeeper rule because they've changed it so often. In Japan they have to replay a match because the ref mistakingly sent a goalkeeper off a couple of weeks ago.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

10. Likes Grantysghost liked this post