Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  25
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Three things you've learned Round Five 2022 v North Melbourne

It's Good Friday so tell us three good (or bad) things you've learnt today.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Three things you've learned Round Five 2022 v North Melbourne

Bump
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

1. Our best is fantastic but at the moment we are seeing this is in patches. Hopefully we are building into the season and by the time finals come we start to peak.

2. I don’t mind some of the stuff O’Brien does but he will be frustrating to watch as he does some dumb things - a few today that led to NM goals. Better suited as a third tall.

3. As much as he is maligned Cordy is important for us. I like him forward - he has some smarts and can take a player out of the defensive line to allow more space for Naughton. If he can play some time forward and some time back during a game then I think he adds value. Good work by the selectors.

4. Likes SquirrelGrip, macca, merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

1. If only we kicked straight against Carlton and Richmond, the ledger would have looked better.

2. I liked the move of Bont playing forward for a half, it really put a cat amongst the pigeons

3. We must sign English and Baz immediately before they come with big cheques.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

1. These first weeks of the season might be just the experience Jamarra needs right now in his development. It's not just all happening in a whirlwind and he's having to work hard.
    The hype of his selection last year is sorta dissipating as is last year's media scrutiny, with silly and shallow comparisons with Buddy, coverage of his personal relationships etc.
    If he can keep working hard and find a way to contribute each game, he's going to have a game this year where it all clicks and he gives us a glimpse of his long term potential.

2. 'The excellent flexibility and versatility of Cordy tonight' is a combination of words I'd NEVER have anticipated committing to screen in my life. What a strange and wondrous wold this can be at times.

3. WE still have a frustrating ability to be shaky or flaky for periods quarters, games, or weeks. It boggles the mind? We have so many high quality players on our list, many with unique point of difference attributes. I just don't understand how it is we can just seemingly flick a switch and go from top shelf to outhouse? Given it sends supporters spare, it must be even more frustrating for the players themselves and coaches.

Its got to be between the ears. I hope they find the method of helping the group address it, because the quality of players on our list is the best I've ever seen in my lifetime...Their best is sublime, and is a very attractive mix of hardness, skill and spirit that should see them perennial contenders. But right now as we all painfully know, a bad three minutes from this group can be terminal.
    Last edited by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot; 15-04-2022 at 10:25 PM.

7. Likes macca, HOSE B ROMERO, Scorlibo, DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

1. Cordy get much maligned as not a KPD . Put him forward where he provides a contest bring the ball to ground , blocks and actually takes some marks . There is a place in the team as the multi dimensional swing man . probably keeping Schache out now . Good he kicked a goal
    2. Baz and Gardner endurance is phenomenal. baz runs all day and provides always an option for his teammates. WE are starting to see the best of Gardner . His timing and reading of the play is pretty good . If he can intercept more cleanly and keep those kicks to 20 m or less his going to be AA. Great pickup and emerging story for 2022

3. We still have lapses where we let teams have a run on : North kicked 5 in a row in the second and around the 15 m mark in the 3rd we let them kick a few in a row . We need to close this gap and just no ordinary teams like north get a run on .

We should have. Gone hard to get Xerri last yesr . He looks much stronger and presents well , just did not take those marks
    Last edited by macca; 16-04-2022 at 01:49 PM.

9. Likes HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

1. We looked mentally shot last week, out of ideas and so down in confidence, so in that context it was a great win to come out and dominate AND banish the goal kicking demons.

2. Naughton is just such a competitive beast. His tackling and second efforts don’t get noticed as much as the spectacular marks. And in Josh Bruce style he’s just as happy when his team mate goals. legend.

3. Ryan Gardner!!! I couldn’t see it, I wasn’t alone, but isn’t it great to see what confidence can do. He really was cool tonight. I dong panic when he has the ball any more! (This is a lie. But he’s much much better)

(Bonus points for him running all the way down the field to congratulate his former backline mate Cordy when he dobbed a goal.)
    Last edited by The bulldog tragician; 15-04-2022 at 11:27 PM.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

11. Likes Grantysghost, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

1. There is no way Weightman doesn't play 200 games for us. Already giving backs the jitters when he's near it. Great young player.

2. O'Brien will be ok, just lost his shape a few times tonight. Best suited as a third tall so is under the pump at the moment. I see some value.

3. Chilli has turned a corner, big time.

Post Thanks / Like

1. English is probably going to make it and is going to cost us a fortune to keep him.

2. Ryan Gardner impressed the hell out of me. Made a few mistakes (the dropped mark, got lost out of position and couldn’t help O’Brien in one contest deep, the flubbed a kick after winning a really good defensive contest) but man, he is defending like a demon at the moment. He even has a bit of aggro within him, gave Larkey a nice late clip on the wing I was sitting on. 2022 is shaping up as a weird year for the Dogs but Gardy becoming a genuine AFL KPD would certainly take the edge off.

3. Cordy should never play in defence again and just roll with this forward scrapper/ruck pinch hit thing he’s doing. It’s bizarre, it’s Bevo to a tee but it certainly worked out well last night. Not sure it will against good teams but we’ll see.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Gardner is improving week by week but his direct opponent still kicked 4.

Post Thanks / Like

1. Kicking 8.3 in the opening quarter compared to 2.7 makes the next 3 quarters easier to watch.

2. Tim English could one day win the Brownlow. He really stands out when he plays well. Gee I hope his ambitions are here at the Bulldogs and signs on soon.

3. Cody Weightman is not just a flash in the pan! If he can stay involved like he did against North, kicking bags of 5 won't be a rarity. His pressure yesterday was fantastic and then to still lead up go for his marks and being a presence up forward helped releave pressure on Naughton. It felt like we would score most times going in f50 when other weeks it was quite the opposite. The opposition contributed to that too
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

16. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

1. Cordy forward provided some contest and aggression and a chop out in the ruck. His stints in the backline should be over.
    2. Gardner played an accomplished defenders game and rarely made a mistake.
    3. Jack Macrae again in AA form, 10 clearances. He is so committed that he was aggro that medical staff took him off for a concussion check.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westbulldog View Post
    1. Cordy forward provided some contest and aggression and a chop out in the ruck. His stints in the backline should be over.
    2. Gardner played an accomplished defenders game and rarely made a mistake.
    3. Jack Macrae again in AA form, 10 clearances. He is so committed that he was aggro that medical staff took him off for a concussion check.
    And hit the scoreboard!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Gardner is improving week by week but his direct opponent still kicked 4.
    At least two goals if I do remember Gardner wasn't on Larkey. But I stand to be corrected if I am wrong.

20. Thanks 1eyedog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    At least two goals if I do remember Gardner wasn't on Larkey. But I stand to be corrected if I am wrong.
    He's not a bad player Larkey. I don't think Ryan was that culpable, as you say maybe not always him and also Larkey goes ok.
    One was a footrace for a loose ball he was always going to win, another was a lead deep into the pocket which they almost allow.