Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  14
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Bankers & Anchors: Rnd 5, 2022 vs North Melbourne

This is the Round 5, 2022 edition of the weekly Bankers and Anchors thread. Once the game against North Melbourne is concluded post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 guys/aspects of the game that we banked on to do the right thing during the game
    The Anchors = 3 guys/aspects of the game that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Please limit it to no more than three of each player or aspect of the game, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

Try and restrict it to individual players rather than aspects of the overall match - I will allow more freedom now as the thread seems to be going down more of the aspects of the game path so you can have 3 for each made up of aspects of the game and individual players.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bankers & Anchors: Rnd 5, 2022 vs North Melbourne

Bankers

1. Tim English. 459 metres gained. 5th most of any player on the ground for either team. His ruck work showed big improvements again today. Some finesse with his taps, better timing of his leap at centre bounce. And he just looks a bit meaner this year.
    He led the game with 10 Score involvements and also had 7 inside 50's. Nice to see him finish his work on a long set shot as well

2. Naughton. Fantastic response to his last few weeks. Needed a performance like that to blow away the clouds of doubt and external pressure. Still should've kicked better and had at least 1 or 2 more. But 5.3 and the way he went about it in the air, on the ground, roving his own ruckwork and then snapping the goal... sublime.

3.Caleb Daniel. He made one howler, but he was back to his best ball use and smarts wise.

Anchors

Just a couple of small anchors, given the relatively big win.

1. Tim O'brien. - I'm reserving my judgment because right now, we're very undermanned down back. But he's got to sharpen up a bit with his decision making and execution.

2. Bailey Smith. I gave him votes, but gees, he's butchered the ball a lot this season. If his prolific ball getting this year was in sync with his late season form from last year, he'd be leading the Brownlow right now. Unfortunately he's once going through a patch where he's producing a higher than acceptable amount of turnovers in super bad areas for us, that often result in easy goals to the opposition.

3. Likes ratsmac, Scorlibo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    Bankers

1. Tim English. 459 metres gained. 5th most of any player on the ground for either team. His ruck work showed big improvements again today. Some finesse with his taps, better timing of his leap at centre bounce. And he just looks a bit meaner this year.
    He led the game with 10 Score involvements and also had 7 inside 50's. Nice to see him finish his work on a long set shot as well

2. Naughton. Fantastic response to his last few weeks. Needed a performance like that to blow away the clouds of doubt and external pressure. Still should've kicked better and had at least 1 or 2 more. But 5.3 and the way he went about it in the air, on the ground, roving his own ruckwork and then snapping the goal... sublime.

3.Caleb Daniel. He made one howler, but he was back to his best ball use and smarts wise.

Anchors

Just a couple of small anchors, given the relatively big win.

1. Tim O'brien. - I'm reserving my judgment because right now, we're very undermanned down back. But he's got to sharpen up a bit with his decision making and execution.

2. Bailey Smith. I gave him votes, but gees, he's butchered the ball a lot this season. If his prolific ball getting this year was in sync with his late season form from last year, he'd be leading the Brownlow right now. Unfortunately he's once going through a patch where he's producing a higher than acceptable amount of turnovers in super bad areas for us, that often result in easy goals to the opposition.
    Point 2 is quite good reading. Athletically gifted but needs the footy IQ to go with it.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers

1. Forward line goal kicking - Naughton, Weightman, Bont 13 goals

2. Smith once more working his backside off, and with 43 disposals it showed he is getting to be an elite player. 646m gained.

3. Libba - many thought he had his day, but he was fantastic with 25 disposals, 10 contested, 8 stoppage clearances.

Anchors

1. Allowing 5 unanswered goals

2. Kicking 8 behinds in the last after accurate kicking for three quarters

3. Switching the play and getting unstuck a few times. It is risky, but you have to be accurate if you are going to do it. Cost a few goals today, but not the biggest anchor
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

B

Ed Richards was terrific, I thought. Brave with the footy and defensively to get to contests and get a fist in the mix.it was a fairly complete game from him. Gave us plenty of what we get from B Dale, but won more of his own ball.

English. He’s a joy to watch now that he has found his feet and playing with real physicality. He is the player we all hoped he’d be.

Cody. The supposed stager pulled their pants down. He got a free for high contact, which was there, and admittedly, made sure the umpire noticed. For five straight minutes the losers around me spooked up, made homophobic slurs, trotted out all the cliche umpire bashing and pantomime villain stuff. Then he took a really strong grab and embarrassed them all. One nuffer even conceded “geez he’s good”

Cordy. I love him, come hell or high water. In a team that doesn’t seem to have to many angry pills up it’s sleeve, and has been straying from that classic Bulldog tenacity, you get it in spades from Zaine.

A

lolNorf. I hate that club. They’d be the world’s most heavily concentrated collection of bitter and twisted, deluded, snivelling, rat faced, disease spreading, fake tough guy, dolls with a victim complex you’ll come across. Keep rolling these malakas out for an annual crucfxion please.

Timmy O kick to Williams - one of two unnecessary turn overs in dangerous spots that lead to goals. Spoiled an other wise good effort.

The fixture. Was my daughters first game for the year. Screw the AFL for robbing me of a month of footy with the little one there barracking her guts out for the Dogs.

7. Likes ratsmac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bankers
    Bailey Smith's running ability, never stopped and racked up 43 possessions.
    Tom Liberatore, our best and toughest at the coalface and always has been.
    Tim English is now starting to impose himself on games.

Anchors
    Williams has lost all confidence as a back, perhaps move him upfield for a stint.
    Our second quarter lapse. Percentage counts.
    The injury to Riley Garcia.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    B

Ed Richards was terrific, I thought. Brave with the footy and defensively to get to contests and get a fist in the mix.it was a fairly complete game from him. Gave us plenty of what we get from B Dale, but won more of his own ball.

English. He’s a joy to watch now that he has found his feet and playing with real physicality. He is the player we all hoped he’d be.

Cody. The supposed stager pulled their pants down. He got a free for high contact, which was there, and admittedly, made sure the umpire noticed. For five straight minutes the losers around me spooked up, made homophobic slurs, trotted out all the cliche umpire bashing and pantomime villain stuff. Then he took a really strong grab and embarrassed them all. One nuffer even conceded “geez he’s good”

Cordy. I love him, come hell or high water. In a team that doesn’t seem to have to many angry pills up it’s sleeve, and has been straying from that classic Bulldog tenacity, you get it in spades from Zaine.

A

lolNorf. I hate that club. They’d be the world’s most heavily concentrated collection of bitter and twisted, deluded, snivelling, rat faced, disease spreading, fake tough guy, dolls with a victim complex you’ll come across. Keep rolling these malakas out for an annual crucfxion please.

Timmy O kick to Williams - one of two unnecessary turn overs in dangerous spots that lead to goals. Spoiled an other wise good effort.

The fixture. Was my daughters first game for the year. Screw the AFL for robbing me of a month of footy with the little one there barracking her guts out for the Dogs.
    Fair enough SOS. Just don't quite share the hatred of North. More to be pitied really. Players from tiny clubs who lack skills and resources may resort to other tactics to further their aims. Surely the Western Bulldogs understand that.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

10. Likes Max469, SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Fair enough SOS. Just don't quite share the hatred of North. More to be pitied really. Players from tiny clubs who lack skills and resources may resort to other tactics to further their aims. Surely the Western Bulldogs understand that.
    GD, I think what you will find with SoS he has a deep hatred for our neighbouring clubs such as North and Essendon.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

12. Likes SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    GD, I think what you will find with SoS he has a deep hatred for our neighbouring clubs such as North and Essendon.
    I am with SOS
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

14. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Clowns to the left of me. Jokers to the right.
    If both those clubs were erased from history, it’d give me some joy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    Clowns to the left of me. Jokers to the right.
    If both those clubs were erased from history, it’d give me some joy.
    Ditto SoS, couldn't agree more. One consolation is they have both been on the receiving end of some good Bulldog thrashings of late. I still have the game recorded in which we kicked 21 unanswered goals against the bummers.
    The truth will set you free,
    but first it will piss you off. ... Gloria Steinem.

17. Thanks SonofScray thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If you could just allow yourself to be frank about your opinion of Norf and its supporters you'd feel a lot better!!!

Btw, I enjoyed your post but for mine Essendon are top of my list of disliked Clubs and supporters. But to be fair there are some rolled gold characters on Bomber Blitz with finely honed senses of wit and sarcasm which is always good for a belly laugh.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers.
    1. English showed just what he's capable of.
    2. Cordy played his best game for quite a while.
    3. Libba was very good at the coal face.

Anchors.
    1. Letting them back in the game.
    2. Injury to Garcia
    3. Some poor forward entries not helping our forwards at all.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers:
    English might be our most improved player, but Gards' is a close second. Starting to take intercept marks. Couldn't be happier for the kid given the pounding he's copped from fans & media.

Cordy - I still have doubts as a forward but he was very good.

Smith's running capacity. He just covers so much ground

Anchors:
    Garcia injury. Give the kid a chance

Bailey Williams - you have 95% of the ability that you think you have. Take the safer option sometimes, please.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

21. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Bankers:
    English might be our most improved player, but Gards' is a close second. Starting to take intercept marks. Couldn't be happier for the kid given the pounding he's copped from fans & media.

Cordy - I still have doubts as a forward but he was very good.

Smith's running capacity. He just covers so much ground

Anchors:
    Garcia injury. Give the kid a chance

Bailey Williams - you have 95% of the ability that you think you have. Take the safer option sometimes, please
    Yep you have to be very careful selling candy in the backline.