Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  15
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

“There is a skill to it”: Weightman discusses free kicks and polarising reputation

Link

Cody Weightman is one of the most polarising players in the AFL, despite playing in just his third season at the top level.

Weightman, 21, has developed into an integral part of the Western Bulldogs lineup to play every game so far in 2022 after a strong, yet maligned start to his career.

The small forward has drawn the ire of many opposition fans for how he plays the game. Weightman kicked four goals – all from free kicks – in last year’s Elimination Final win over Essendon, and the youngster has put up similar performances against several other sides to earn a niggling reputation.

Weightman was asked on SEN Breakfast by Melbourne great Garry Lyon what it’s like to have his reputation, the youngster suggesting that overall, it doesn’t affect his play.

“Certainly, that’s been a factor in the past 12 months and to be honest, it doesn’t faze me at all,” the young Bulldog said.

“It’s something that Lisa (Stevens) at the club, she sort of comes and talks to me about it, she’s our psychologist.

“I didn’t actually have any problem with it and it was good just to hear her opinions on it - the way society is, if you’re going well (then) they’re going to try and nit-pick and try to pull you down because at the end of the day if I’m performing and doing well for the Western Bulldogs it’s only threatening other teams' chances of beating us.

“Unfortunately I think that is the tall poppy syndrome in Australia and that’s just how that is, but I’m very comfortable doing what I’m doing and I don’t think it’s going to affect my game.”

Weightman says receiving free kicks is part of a “skillset” that he looks to develop.

“I think I do have an ability to draw free kicks and I think that’s a skillset rather than a flop or whatever you call that because there are skills you can do … whether it’s taking the ball when you’re about to get tackled or ball control, so you don’t actually have possession and test out the defender if they’re going to grab it or not,” Weightman continued.

“There is a skill to it and people won’t see that, but I think there’s a deeper understanding that goes into it and I know there’s a lot of support out there for me as well which is super amazing, I’m very grateful for everyone who does see the work we put in and see us in a shining light rather than a dim light.”

Weightman also added that he’s feeling more comfortable in the Dogs’ forward line in 2022, suggesting his role isn’t all about kicking goals.

“I’m definitely feeling comfortable in my role now, and I know what I have to go and do,” Weightman said.

“I suppose you get the five goals off the back of that, but it’s certainly not my role to go out and kick bags of goals. I’m keeping it simple now and understanding exactly what I’ve got to do – it’s given me a lot of clarity and confidence going in.

“Our forward line has been chopped and changed since I’ve been in the team, so (it’s also about) building chemistry with who we’ve got.

“That also definitely helps – just spending time out there and getting comfortable in playing footy out there.”

The Bulldogs take on Adelaide in Round 6 in their first game in Ballarat for the season.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Thanks SquirrelGrip thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: “There is a skill to it”: Weightman discusses free kicks and polarising reputation

This will end well.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Re: “There is a skill to it”: Weightman discusses free kicks and polarising reputation

With Naughton and Weightman in our forward line and JUH coming along - it is exciting going to games to watch these guys play.

Essendon supporters the biggest whingers in the AFL
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

5. Likes SquirrelGrip liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

One thing that Cody probably needs to address is that playing for frees seems to act as a bit of a security blanket for him when the rest of his game isn’t clicking. He’s very much a confidence player and can flop all over the place if he doesn’t snag one early. It’s why his game against the Swans was so awesome, because he wasn’t getting particularly involved offensively but put his energy into bringing the heat without the ball rather than pretending he got chopped by Ric Flair in every contest.

Eventually he’s gonna realise he’s unguardable and this will all work itself out, but would still rather he find another channel than just accept it’s part of his game.

7. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Do we think he'll make it yet or are we still really worried about him?
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Do we think he'll make it yet or are we still really worried about him?
    I can’t tell who this is in reference to because I’m not a narc and don’t check post histories. Pretty sure it’s not me though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    I can’t tell who this is in reference to because I’m not a narc and don’t check post histories. Pretty sure it’s not me though.
    It's MJP.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Sounds like something a narc would say.
    "It's over. It's all over."

12. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    Sounds like something a narc would say.
    Definitely.

Post Thanks / Like

Cody's going to be one of those players who is loved by the club and its members/ supporters, and mostly unloved by everyone else!

I mean, I found him way too much at first - particularly his excited head that looks like it should be playing for Fremantle - but I now love him.

15. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Definitely.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Whilst there is a skill to drawing free kicks he would have been better to phrase it along the lines of "being first to the ball and having a focused attack on the footy means that opposition players react instinctively and this often results in frees being conceded".

He gets frees because he is a ball player not because he duck's or stages.

Post Thanks / Like

In the round ball game players are lauded for drawing free kicks and penalties, in our game they're derided.

If you can draw an infringement it should be considered a feather in your cap. If you give one away it should be considered a fault in how you've approached the contest.

It's a highly technical game, and it's silly that we pretend it isn't and get upset when players play the rules better than others.

Post Thanks / Like

Why doesn’t the article reference if the free kicks were legit? Or if Essendon knew how to play finals?

Not sure why he’s hated. That one match has blown it out of proportion. Look at him against Sydney. Big mark, slots it from 50 when the rest of the team couldn’t hit the barn. Against North he got 1 free that he goaled from? The kid is really, really talented. The article sucks and whoever asked the question is probably scared the dogs might rain on his team’s parade this year, and that Cody will be a premiership player while they’re very much not.

20. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

There's a line between playing for the free and playing the ball. He's a bit on the Lindsay Thomas side at the moment
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff