Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  62
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Three things you've learned round six 2022 v Adelaide

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    One of the reasons why I wanted to trade him was to bring in something different to the midfield, and interestingly if we had have let him go we would possibly still have had Treloar fall into our laps anyway.

What does our midfield look like with Treloar and another zippier mid playing there/ on the wing, and possibly Lipinski providing some inside flexibility? What else could we have picked up to help in the ruck or in defence?

Could be a genuine sliding doors outcome.
    Thats kind of what I was trying to get at.

Once it was clear we had secured Treloar (I know it happened on the last 30 seconds but surely we could've made it happen earlier) we should've moved Dunkley on.

It would've meant a relatively minor downgrade in the middle, would have given us the draft capital to add some more varied talent to our list and/or allowed us to better try and address our actual weaknesses without only having to try and pry out fringe types and offer them no money.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

2. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupman View Post
    Thats kind of what I was trying to get at.

Once it was clear we had secured Treloar (I know it happened on the last 30 seconds but surely we could've made it happen earlier) we should've moved Dunkley on.

It would've meant a relatively minor downgrade in the middle, would have given us the draft capital to add some more varied talent to our list and/or allowed us to better try and address our actual weaknesses without only having to try and pry out fringe types and offer them no money.
    Do you want to trade a young mid though you've put so much time into?

I think we are a draft and develop club, keep Dunkley ignore Treloar. Hey it rhymes!

To me we need a very clear direction. We are simply not a team players will come to via trade. Accept it and work with what we can.

Our defence is under manned. We need to be at full tilt more than most to cover this.

So recruitment wise, 1 x KPD 1 x intercept defender has to be above all else next draft.

Then we look balanced.

4. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

In Darcy we have drafted a player who was touted as being a key defender, but he then went forward and kicked six in a game for Victoria.

The miss on Kieran Collins is a real shame, he'd be prime age now. Sam Collins was taken in the same draft and would be playing for us if he was on our list.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

In Darcy we have drafted a player who was touted as being a key defender, but he then went forward and kicked six in a game for Victoria.

The miss on Kieran Collins is a real shame, he'd be prime age now. Sam Collins was taken in the same draft and would be playing for us if he was on our list.
    The miss on Tom Boyd is bigger, like he won us a GF, but he'd be in his prime now.... Him swapping with English wouldn't be such a bad thing.

7. Likes azabob, SquirrelGrip liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    The miss on Tom Boyd is bigger, like he won us a GF, but he'd be in his prime now.... Him swapping with English wouldn't be such a bad thing.
    I still have dreams of him coming back........

Post Thanks / Like

Boyd played like 3 good games ever. The idea of him is far better than the reality.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Boyd played like 3 good games ever. The idea of him is far better than the reality.
    Two of them just happened to be the most important games the club's ever played.........

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah realistically Boyd was pretty terrible. If it wasn't for the Premiership which made his contract and trade completely worth it then it would go down as one of the worst trades of all time, if not the worst? I am very happy he is no longer on our list, albeit for less than ideal reasons.

Seems like a nice guy though and his podcast with McGinley is one of the better footy ones I've listened to.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah realistically Boyd was pretty terrible. If it wasn't for the Premiership which made his contract and trade completely worth it then it would go down as one of the worst trades of all time, if not the worst? I am very happy he is no longer on our list, albeit for less than ideal reasons.

Seems like a nice guy though and his podcast with McGinley is one of the better footy ones I've listened to.
    Tom was a baby when he played for us. He is now 26 and would have started to mature in the last year or two and getting to his peak, just like English who was written off by many at the age of 22/23.

The big guys (well 90% ) take time to mature, and Tom had the talent but was just getting going when he retired.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

13. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Tom was a baby when he played for us. He is now 26 and would have started to mature in the last year or two and getting to his peak, just like English who was written off by many at the age of 22/23.

The big guys (well 90% ) take time to mature, and Tom had the talent but was just getting going when he retired.
    Just getting going as a mediocre ruck.

He may've turned the corner at some stage, but he never really looked like he was going to put it all together.

Was mediocre in the ruck, and not particularly strong around the ground, was on track to be an Ivan Soldo style ruck.

Never showed the mobility or aerial dominance he needed to be a key forward. Frequently underran it, had a terrible marking technique, and was very poor in live play with the ball at ground level unless he was just picking it up and hoofing it or giving a quick handball.

Considering the only position we had made work for him was that ruck role, and we never showed any indication we were trying to push him forward again, I think the point stands that not having a $900K Ivan Soldo on the list is probably for the best.

Post Thanks / Like

Just getting going as a mediocre ruck.

He may've turned the corner at some stage, but he never really looked like he was going to put it all together.

Was mediocre in the ruck, and not particularly strong around the ground, was on track to be an Ivan Soldo style ruck.

Never showed the mobility or aerial dominance he needed to be a key forward. Frequently underran it, had a terrible marking technique, and was very poor in live play with the ball at ground level unless he was just picking it up and hoofing it or giving a quick handball.

Considering the only position we had made work for him was that ruck role, and we never showed any indication we were trying to push him forward again, I think the point stands that not having a $900K Ivan Soldo on the list is probably for the best.
    You missed the point, so I will leave it at that
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Sam Collins was delisted, went back to state footy, then got picked up as a DFA.
    There's every chance we'd be the Fremantle on the Sam Collins situation.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Sam Collins was delisted, went back to state footy, then got picked up as a DFA.
    There's every chance we'd be the Fremantle on the Sam Collins situation.
    Yeah, that's a good point.

Post Thanks / Like

As Macca said "2nd Quarter, McNeil kicked 25 m on an angle , misses everything." I frankly wonder why McNeill is in the team, he has played 16 games and most stats are below average. Wallis, West, Jones would all do better.

Post Thanks / Like

1. we cannot beat a younger Adelaide side , our mid field was outworked by their younger mids
    their backs took 26 intercept marks. Frampton looked like a super star from this game's effort( cynism on). The work rate was not there by our fwds or the delivery was rubbish.

2. Reminder how much the media hate us: yes Cornes, Caro and all the flogs on the so called footy shows beating up negative press on the club. We have had a tragic weak off the field. Yes, people are emotional. What if we had won by 1 point, would the narrative be different ?

3. Are we really that far off, by losing by 1 point ? We have lost key players: Keith, English, Hunter, JJ due to injuries. Their talent has really exposed important roles they play. English does more than just ruck, he offers another running mid option who can mark. I am kinda worried now with the kick outs from goal square, there is lack of marking ability with English missing We really miss Hunter's hard running on the wing and creative play. Crazy to think that JJ and VDM could supply more fwd pressure.

4. I am a bit concerned some of the younger players have not given a call up: West, Butler, R.Snith , instead mcComb gets a game ahead. Good luck to him, I am going on assumption he was picked on KPI performance, so he must deserve it.

5. Is it time to test the players on the list, to see who stays and who needs to go, time to really clean out the list? Or is it a question after round 9?