Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  62
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Three things you've learned round six 2022 v Adelaide

Quote Originally Posted by Dancin' Douggy View Post
    People say the recruiting staff 'tried' to get replacements. You don't get paid to TRY at this level.
    It's a quote worth highlighting.

It's a tough gig, but how do you keep your job if you haven't fulfilled your role? If we have been unable to attract a KPD or Ruck after being the second best side all year/making a GF, that's a concern.

The AFL is far too forgiving of an industry in reality. People get paid to underperform all the time. Most other sports around the world are far more 'brutal', but I agree with you - we shouldn't be paying for 'attempting'. If you can't get it done, move on.
    W00F!

Post Thanks / Like

1. English out is a massive out.
    2. We aren’t playing finals
    3. Start of the year I predicted a 11-11 finish. We won’t make double figures in the wins column.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    It's a quote worth highlighting.

It's a tough gig, but how do you keep your job if you haven't fulfilled your role? If we have been unable to attract a KPD or Ruck after being the second best side all year/making a GF, that's a concern.

The AFL is far too forgiving of an industry in reality. People get paid to underperform all the time. Most other sports around the world are far more 'brutal', but I agree with you - we shouldn't be paying for 'attempting'. If you can't get it done, move on.
    18 teams with only a population of 25m where only half the country are really interested in the sport. We don't have the depth of world football, basketball or other sports. If we started getting rid of every player who "underperformed" in the AFL there would 500+ players looking for a new job. The reason there isn't ... they are difficult or nigh on impossible to replace. In reality about ~80 new players join a list every year (via draft, rookie etc.). Therefore only the bottom 10% can lose their job.

4. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    18 teams with only a population of 25m where only half the country are really interested in the sport. We don't have the depth of world football, basketball or other sports. If we started getting rid of every player who "underperformed" in the AFL there would 500+ players looking for a new job. The reason there isn't ... they are difficult or nigh on impossible to replace. In reality about ~80 new players join a list every year (via draft, rookie etc.). Therefore only the bottom 10% can lose their job.
    I agree and it's why I hate we brought 2 new teams into the competition, but in this context we aren't talking about players. We're talking about list managers, and if they are attempting to fix our weaknesses but arent able to get it done, why keep them?
    W00F!

Post Thanks / Like

Getting players of quality in to add depth in key positions is easier said than done.

We have a salary cap squeeze that will likely be eased with players leaving the club at the end of the year, hopefully it'll mean we can fix our structural issues through recruitment of mature age/ ready to go depth.

It's going to be a bit painful losing the likes of Dunkley or whoever else, however, if it happens we need to make sure we can offset the losses with improvements to the structural components of our list that are lacking.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

7. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

1. Too many “premium” mids, not enough KPP’s
    2. There is something stale or rotten at the club behind the scenes - can’t tell which
    3. Disgusting football all around. After 3 years we still can’t figure out a way through an extra man behind the ball. Pathetic coaching

9. Likes azabob, DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    How many are his opponents averaging?

Yep, he’s number have improved, but his ruck minutes have gone up pretty dramatically so you’d sort of expect them to.
    He was a bloody big loss against Adelaide that was my point. No need to nit pick Mantis.

11. Likes SquirrelGrip, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    1. We are officially pretty shit.
    2. We arent playing finals
    3. Something is not right at the club and if we arent careful a few good players might want out
    Agree Chef. After Round 3 I said the mail was a few players were waiting to see who is coaching the club before signing on. I stand by it and it is starting to show on the field.

13. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    1. We are officially pretty shit.
    2. We arent playing finals
    3. Something is not right at the club and if we arent careful a few good players might want out
    Is Bevo a good coach strategically or a good motivator of people.
    Because it appears the motivation has lost it's way and there's not much happening on the strategy front.
    Apparently we'd worked all pre season on stopping the midfield issues defensively and all I've seen is less Bont and Libba and moving 5 metres back off the mark.

Genius!

Post Thanks / Like

1. We need a rethink on our smaller players - Half backs and Half forwards - the bottom six are not giving us enough.

2. The Bont needs to be exclusively a mid - he is the best in the business and is wasted up forward.

3. VFL - West, Kharmis, Sweet need to be given a chance at some stage to see what they can do.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

16. Likes BornInDroopSt'54, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    How were the logistics this year? Was it easier to get into the ground? Last year with the COVID protocols there were long lines which was dissapointing.
    It was better. We got there a bit earlier, about an hour before the match so we could practically walk straight in. They make a real effort there. There was even a bloke with a pump pack of sunscreen going through the crowd!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bullies View Post
    Agree Chef. After Round 3 I said the mail was a few players were waiting to see who is coaching the club before signing on. I stand by it and it is starting to show on the field.
    Reliable source on the mail on coaching next year or dogs sisters Aunty?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Is Bevo a good coach strategically or a good motivator of people.
    Because it appears the motivation has lost it's way and there's not much happening on the strategy front.
    Apparently we'd worked all pre season on stopping the midfield issues defensively and all I've seen is less Bont and Libba and moving 5 metres back off the mark.

Genius!
    I don’t think he is either anymore tbh. Started as a fantastic motivator - took the competition by storm with a hard running numbers at the ball style early,

Now it looks like the players are lost and the our ability to adapt in match is non existent (never has existed under Bevo tbh)

20. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AshMac View Post
    Reliable source on the mail on coaching next year or dogs sisters Aunty?
    Latter

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AshMac View Post
    I don’t think he is either anymore tbh. Started as a fantastic motivator - took the competition by storm with a hard running numbers at the ball style early,

Now it looks like the players are lost and the our ability to adapt in match is non existent (never has existed under Bevo tbh)
    He looks absolutely spent. One of the all time greats of the club and deserves a statue.
    But I really think he's in the Stef Martin camp of cooked.

The writing was on the wall when Matt Spangher was brought in with 0 experience.