Thanks Thanks:  14
Likes Likes:  93
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right - Match Committee Thread RD 7 vs Essendon

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Walker was amazing for them. A real presence. Wouldn't hurt Josh to watch his tape to learn how to throw that big frame around effectively.

There's more to the game than what you do when you've got it.

I was being tongue in cheek too. Just ignore me like everyone else has learned to do Danj.
    I agree with you. It would be a bonus if Schache threw his weight around.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm never surprised by selection these days - when I think zig, Bevo thinks zag...which is why he is coaching where he is and I am coaching where I am!

I think the move of JUH and Schache points clearly to a "moving all the 'Bont is a forward' chips" into the middle of the table. If we are going to play Bont forward, he needs to be kicked the ball one-v-one or even one-v-two...he'll get it. With the other two around, that becomes harder as both are leading/marking players (despite how the Schache got his goals last week)...

Watching the game last week I thought we needed MORE Bont around the footy, not less...like I said, I zig, Bevo zags...I'm looking forward to the game.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

3. Likes Bullies, FrediKanoute liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Watching the game last week I thought we needed MORE Bont around the footy, not less...like I said, I zig, Bevo zags...I'm looking forward to the game.
    I agree. Best player why leave him in the forward half.

Post Thanks / Like

Bont forward sucks. He’s the best player in the damn world and he’s earned that rep playing as a midfielder. Forward line Bont is a pipe dream, borne out of him being tall and a gun midfielder. Play him on the ball seriously its not that hard.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

6. Likes DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Bont forward sucks. He’s the best player in the damn world and he’s earned that rep playing as a midfielder. Forward line Bont is a pipe dream, borne out of him being tall and a gun midfielder. Play him on the ball seriously its not that hard.
    I totally agree. You move these kinds of midfielders to the forward line when they are in their twilight of their career, not when they are in their prime.

The last time Bevo moved his captain out of his natural position to the forward line 1. it was a flop and 2. he never regained his best form ever again.

Gee I hope Bevo gets this right and we don't waste Bont's prime years
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

Post Thanks / Like

Bevo is balancing a lot of player ego I suspect with midfield minutes and the Bont is the bloke prepared to play forward. Hopefully it means someone else has higher trade value to move out at end of year. I also suspect Bont is not quite 100% and wants to demonstrate team first leadership to the group.

Let’s hope our best player and captain doing the team thing inspires

9. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

They changed it last week in game he was at a higher percentage of centre bounces.

My guess is the plan is going to be to start him forward and if the other mids are on top in contested ball like we were v North he will stay there longer

Post Thanks / Like

I suspect Bont forward is borne about by his injuries compromising his running capacity and presumably not allowing him to play midfield for long stretches. If that is the case, Bont up forward is a more dangerous match-up than Marra or Shack. It also gives Bailey Smith, Libba, Macrae, Dunks and Treloar more oppprtunity (and no excuses) to step up in the middle and take ownership from the source. That is still a huge chunk of talent in our midfield.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

12. Likes Mofra, GVGjr, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not as down on Bont forward as others are.... except against sides with small midfields, which basically means Essendon and Brisbane. I really thought this week was the week to give Khamis a well-deserved opportunity.

Dunkley needs to have a blinder for this to work. Our mids are a little bit selfish - they all hunt the ball or run to receive. Essendon's mids are the same, they are accumulators (esp. Parish and Zerritt) but who does the grunt work? Draper for the Bombers, Libba for us perhaps.

Rutten hasn't coached a win this year though so if we're serious about even making finals, we win this.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Very similiar to the pre season game where we had Naughton as our only real tall option. Hope we don't adopt the same approach of constantly bombing it forward to only him so that Ridley can take intercept mark after intercept mark.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupman View Post
    Very similiar to the pre season game where we had Naughton as our only real tall option. Hope we don't adopt the same approach of constantly bombing it forward to only him so that Ridley can take intercept mark after intercept mark.
    Surely we worked through this issue during the week considering how bad we were against the crows.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Surely we worked through this issue during the week considering how bad we were against the crows.
    You have more faith than I do.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right