Thanks Thanks:  45
Likes Likes:  278
Page 20 of 25 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122232425 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Honest reflection and the path forward

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    The money wont go far?

It's $500K.

How much do you think part time physios and fitness staff cost?
    How much coin does an assistant coach earn? ~$180K plus on-costs of say ~30%? That's almost half the money gone.

I'd presume a part time physio would cost ~$60K plus the ~30% meaning we'd have ~$200K left.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    The money wont go far?

It's $500K.

How much do you think part time physios and fitness staff cost?
    Good point, Part timers might be a cheaper option that increases the head count.

What would a good assistant coach demand?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Good point, Part timers might be a cheaper option that increases the head count.

What would a good assistant coach demand?
    When they were talking about clubs having to notify coaches if they were to be contracted the following year they said the majority were on $150 - $200k. Some would be higher as they would come in on the condition that they would have greater responsibilities. There are a number in the system who are great teachers and game day tacticians but don't want the senior role. These type would be perfect for Bevo.

Post Thanks / Like

David King on our backline struggles.

“They’ve been awful as a one-on-one defence. You had to make a decision, you either cut the supply or support back. They’ve done neither, and that’s why they find themselves where they are on the AFL table.”

5. Likes azabob, DOG GOD, MrMahatma liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sam Edmund reporting that dogs have talked to Leon Cameron about being assistant coach at the club.

Thoughts?

7. Thanks kruder thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sam Edmund reporting that dogs have talked to Leon Cameron about being assistant coach at the club.

Thoughts?
    Always going to happen with his connection to Grant.

Big tick for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Always going to happen with his connection to Grant.

Big tick for me.
    He's picked up a lot of experience since he left us, Hawthorn assistant and GWS assistant and then GWS senior coach so from that perspective it's got the potential to add something.

Post Thanks / Like

Thoughts?
    Bevo needs help and it needs to be someone with experience. So a tick for me.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

11. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I like Cameron. Hate the culture and attitude at GWS but one man cannot be solely responsible for culture. Seems like a really good move.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post
    Bevo needs help and it needs to be someone with experience. So a tick for me.
    Same.

Mantis and EW won't be happy.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Leon Cameron is being sounded out by his former club the Western Bulldogs.

SEN’s Sam Edmund has reported that the Bulldogs are considering bringing Cameron back to the Whitten Oval to link up with head coach Luke Beveridge and head of football Chris Grant.

It is understood that the Dogs have started “informal” talks with the former GWS Giants coach as clubs begin to prepare for an increase in the soft cap.

Cameron has a long history with the Bulldogs, having played 172 games over 10 seasons in the red, white and blue, and served as an assistant coach from 2004 to 2010.

“The Western Bulldogs have had informal discussions with Leon Cameron about a role at The Kennel next year,” Edmund said on SEN’s Whateley.

“I’m sure Leon has been contacted by many clubs and this was a sounding out from the Dogs, nothing more. ‘What are you up to next year? What do you want to do?’

“Obviously Leon is close to Chris Grant, the current head of football. Played a lot of football with Chris and also Luke Beveridge, who he’s worked with before at Hawthorn.

“All clubs are reviewing what they’re doing with the soft cap increase even though it’s minimal. There’s an extra half a million dollars in the cap, so some decisions to be made there.

“Do we bring new staff in or do we bring existing back up to what they deserve financially? So it’s all a bit delicate in that space at the moment.”

Cameron parted ways with the Giants in May after nine years at the helm.

He has most recently been working part-time in the media with SEN and AFL Nation.

Post Thanks / Like

He has most recently been working part-time in the media with SEN and AFL Nation.
    I heard him on SEN last week and he sounded very knowledgeable. Would eb a great addition to the coaching ranks with another senior experienced coach.

Will never forget his debut as a 17 year old - just brilliant, same year as Grant also 17.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I heard him on SEN last week and he sounded very knowledgeable. Would eb a great addition to the coaching ranks with another senior experienced coach.

Will never forget his debut as a 17 year old - just brilliant, same year as Grant also 17.
    Grant round one, Cameron round 2 from memory.
    I still remember that first game with Grant, leading hard and taking a few chest marks. Struggled with his kicking depth.
    Stanfield debuted that that day as well and might have spent a few moments on Lockett.

Post Thanks / Like

Pass me the vomit bag.

It’s a step back into the past with this guy who runs with old school mentalities (going the knuckle) with regard to tactics rather than tactics that are a little more progressive.

But hey, he’s mates with the boss so that’s important isn’t it.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I'm very happy that we are looking at bringing some experience in but Cameron is maybe the least inspiring candidate. He's seemed out of ideas, GWS have been underperforming under him since the 2019 Prelim, all the media that has come out about him as a coach has been not good. It feels more a matter of convenience than best for the job.

On the flipside i don't really know what a senior assistant does anyway, and his CV is pretty good.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right