Thanks Thanks:  45
Likes Likes:  278
Page 18 of 25 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819202122232425 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Honest reflection and the path forward

We needed Lobb or someone like him this year vastly more than we need to be bringing him in next year but we will probably make that move.

For me it all comes down to what happens with Dunkley, Hunter, B.Smith and Williams because once that is sorted it could create plenty of options.
    I hate to say it but I don't think Jones and Lobb are going to make us a top 4 side next year because we are a fair way off the mark.

Once again, we have failed to back up after a successful season and for some reason we don't handle a level of expectation being placed on us.

So the questions the club needs to ask and answer are:
    Why did we fall away so far this year from what was an outstanding 2021 season?
    Why would we be confident that we can land ourselves the right sort of trade targets to get us back into top 4 calculations next year?
    Are we prepared to potentially take a hit and invest in the draft?

I'd be happy enough to go into the draft with whatever we can get. For example, if Brisbane are chasing points to land Ashcroft and Fletcher could we assemble enough 3rd round picks to snare their first round pick off them?
    Ie Hunter moves to Essendon for a 3rd rounder, we lose Dunkley for a 1st and 3rd rounder and maybe something for Williams.

Could we then potentially have 3 x 1st rounders?
    Could we move two of them to move up the order and split one of them for 2 picks later?

To me we can either re-energize this list via the draft or we can stay around the mark with some trades but we won't seriously threaten until we know why the gap in the best and worst of this group is so big.
    Once the club really assesses what went wrong this year it really shapes our approach to the trade period and the draft.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

2. Likes Sedat, SonofScray, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I’m taking picks to the draft.

We are at real risk of over cooking things and repeating past mistakes where we end up clogging the list with folk like Scott Basset, Adam Morgan and Steven Koops. Unless there is a clear target, that really generates some excitement, I’d be very wary of the trades for names like Lobb and Jones.

4. Likes HOSE B ROMERO, westbulldog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    We needed Lobb or someone like him this year vastly more than we need to be bringing him in next year but we will probably make that move.

For me it all comes down to what happens with Dunkley, Hunter, B.Smith and Williams because once that is sorted it could create plenty of options.
    I hate to say it but I don't think Jones and Lobb are going to make us a top 4 side next year because we are a fair way off the mark.

Once again, we have failed to back up after a successful season and for some reason we don't handle a level of expectation being placed on us.

So the questions the club needs to ask and answer are:
    Why did we fall away so far this year from what was an outstanding 2021 season?
    Why would we be confident that we can land ourselves the right sort of trade targets to get us back into top 4 calculations next year?
    Are we prepared to potentially take a hit and invest in the draft?

I'd be happy enough to go into the draft with whatever we can get. For example, if Brisbane are chasing points to land Ashcroft and Fletcher could we assemble enough 3rd round picks to snare their first round pick off them?
    Ie Hunter moves to Essendon for a 3rd rounder, we lose Dunkley for a 1st and 3rd rounder and maybe something for Williams.

Could we then potentially have 3 x 1st rounders?
    Could we move two of them to move up the order and split one of them for 2 picks later?

To me we can either re-energize this list via the draft or we can stay around the mark with some trades but we won't seriously threaten until we know why the gap in the best and worst of this group is so big.
    Once the club really assesses what went wrong this year it really shapes our approach to the trade period and the draft.
    We really do need to think about the longer term and bring in some young talent. We have done well with JUH and Darcy through some luck (father/son, Academy), but what of the rest of the young talent? Cleary, Bedendo, Jones, Butler, are they any good? This is one of the areas that concerns me, as Jee pointed out, the mid size players?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    We really do need to think about the longer term and bring in some young talent. We have done well with JUH and Darcy through some luck (father/son, Academy), but what of the rest of the young talent? Cleary, Bedendo, Jones, Butler, are they any good? This is one of the areas that concerns me, as Jee pointed out, the mid size players?
    Would we be prepared to potentially take a step back next season and feel comfortable that we haven't given our better players another chance for a deep finals run?

To me there are some challenging decisions to be made but I'm a long way off thinking that adding Jones and Lobb will be enough to push us forward. There has to be a question mark on how hungry some players are for this club to become a serious contender.

7. Likes HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Would we be prepared to potentially take a step back next season and feel comfortable that we haven't given our better players another chance for a deep finals run?

To me there are some challenging decisions to be made but I'm a long way off thinking that adding Jones and Lobb will be enough to push us forward. There has to be a question mark on how hungry some players are for this club to become a serious contender.
    I agree those two players won't make a difference.

Jones will be for free, but I am now not sold on Lobb. We should be looking for some young ruckman, that we can rookie, and even draft one ie one of each. They may end up developing into a Key back or a good ruckman.

I don't think we need to take a step backwards at all, just need to be smart in trading and drafting.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Bringing in Jones and Lobb says to me we're having a crack at a flag, which is what we should be doing to either win a flag or find out how far off the mark we are before we go into another rebuild.

We have Garcia and West for inside depth, we need to draft some players who can do a bit of both inside and outside and try and recruit some mature role players who will be around for four to five years.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Bringing in Jones and Lobb says to me we're having a crack at a flag, which is what we should be doing to either win a flag or find out how far off the mark we are before we go into another rebuild.

We have Garcia and West for inside depth, we need to draft some players who can do a bit of both inside and outside and try and recruit some mature role players who will be around for four to five years.
    Next year is all or nothing. If it blows up, we take our medicine for a few seasons and go again in 2025/26 when Bont is the elder statesmen cruising across the half back line and Naughts/Marra/English/Darcy are all primed.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

11. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

With the extra 500K in the footy department soft cap next how important or vital is it be to get another assistant coach in?

What candidates could we potentially bring in?

Post Thanks / Like

What would posters thoughts be if we lost Dunks, Smith, Hunter and Williams?

Like previous years, there seems to be a lot of unrest off the field. Smith has had issues. Hunter as well. Not sure on Williams but he has not been the same this year at all, and ofcourse dunks who would only leave for $$$

How would these 4 leaving affect the team dynamics and are they easily replaceable with our current crop ?
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

With the extra 500K in the footy department soft cap next how important or vital is it be to get another assistant coach in?

What candidates could we potentially bring in?
    I think Grant and Bains need to grow some balls and TELL Bevo he will have a qualified senior asst next year.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post
    What would posters thoughts be if we lost Dunks, Smith, Hunter and Williams?

Like previous years, there seems to be a lot of unrest off the field. Smith has had issues. Hunter as well. Not sure on Williams but he has not been the same this year at all, and ofcourse dunks who would only leave for $$$

How would these 4 leaving affect the team dynamics and are they easily replaceable with our current crop ?
    From a salary cap perspective that would make us huge players in the market.
    I'm confident about Smith and I might be an optimist regarding Dunks but while I like both Hunter and Williams I wouldn't be too fussed about losing one or both.

Hunter was always immensely popular with the playing group so it could have an impact but perhaps that isn't as strong as previous years. He's in the leadership group so I wonder how he has performed in that role even allowing for his time away from the club.

16. Likes DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think Grant and Bains need to grow some balls and TELL Bevo he will have a qualified senior asst next year.
    Bevo is the senior coach and should have final say on who his assistants are. It's up to Grant to convince him that he might need more senior support.
    We shouldn't be paying Bevo big bucks and then telling how the coaching works at the dogs.

Lets not underestimate that he would hate losing as much if not more than the supporters do. If he is convinced another coaching candidate is going to help us win he will put his hand up.

Post Thanks / Like

Boyd... I want Boyd.

19. Likes westbulldog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It's interesting because team dynamics is probably something we want to change. Many of our issues are structural and strategic, but we also have a group that we cannot trust so changing the team dynamic might be beneficial as much of a danger.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Boyd... I want Boyd.
    We already did that once and it yielded a premiership.

I'm in favour of it.
    "It's over. It's all over."

22. Likes Grantysghost liked this post