Thanks Thanks:  45
Likes Likes:  278
Page 19 of 25 FirstFirst ... 910111213141516171819202122232425 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Honest reflection and the path forward

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Boyd... I want Boyd.
    Good suggestion, based on the way he presented at our club I suspect he holds people to standards.

Jaymie Graham would also be worth looking at from my perspective.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

2. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post
    I think Grant and Bains need to grow some balls and TELL Bevo he will have a qualified senior asst next year.
    We draft or retain players he refuses to play, so telling him to get an assistant that he would then not listen to seems counter productive. The reality is Bevo needs to be 100% on board with how the coaching and support structures are. So if he doesn’t think hr needs senior support, he won’t get it. But maybe he does think he needs it and will gleefully use the additional $ to bring in someone excellent.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    We draft or retain players he refuses to play, so telling him to get an assistant that he would then not listen to seems counter productive. The reality is Bevo needs to be 100% on board with how the coaching and support structures are. So if he doesn’t think hr needs senior support, he won’t get it. But maybe he does think he needs it and will gleefully use the additional $ to bring in someone excellent.
    Who?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Bevo is on record saying the cuts to the soft cap have had an impact so he will be up to adding more resources.
    He hates losing games of football as much as anyone so getting a few suitable candidates in front of him will quickly result in he and the panel selecting the best candidate.

I'd prefer a more experienced assistant coach but the recruitment process will sort it out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Who?
    Without digging too hard - we extended Wallis and Martin last year I believe. We've got Crozier for another year or two. Young was rarely played in best position and Schache needs to kick 7 goals to be spoken about. O'Brien almost already looks like he's on the outer.

My point wasn't so much about that, but more so that you can't tell the senior coach what to do. Even if the list manager thought we needed 5 more key backs, if Bevo didn't think they could play the way he wanted then he wouldn't play them. So telling him he needs a senior assistant coach is equally not the way to "manage" Bevo.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Bevo is on record saying the cuts to the soft cap have had an impact so he will be up to adding more resources.
    He hates losing games of football as much as anyone so getting a few suitable candidates in front of him will quickly result in he and the panel selecting the best candidate.

I'd prefer a more experienced assistant coach but the recruitment process will sort it out.
    The soft cap hasn't just meant reduced assistant coaches though, has it? Is there also an impact on the number of physios/analysts etc that we have? So, for example, if we got an additional 2 analysts, would that better inform the coaching structure we have (and maybe stop them having to do analysis if maybe they are due to the cuts?) and the whole system works better.

I'm sure the $500k will be spent and there'll be an improvement. It'll be interesting to see what we do with it. I wonder if we put on a few extra support staff, if it'd even be announced? A new assistant coach would for sure.

Post Thanks / Like

The soft cap hasn't just meant reduced assistant coaches though, has it? Is there also an impact on the number of physios/analysts etc that we have? So, for example, if we got an additional 2 analysts, would that better inform the coaching structure we have (and maybe stop them having to do analysis if maybe they are due to the cuts?) and the whole system works better.

I'm sure the $500k will be spent and there'll be an improvement. It'll be interesting to see what we do with it. I wonder if we put on a few extra support staff, if it'd even be announced? A new assistant coach would for sure.
    Spot on. The money won't go far but perhaps an assistant coach, someone in the fitness team and maybe an opposition analyst will swallow that up quickly. Plus some took pay cuts. It really depends on what area's we think we need to invest in.

Post Thanks / Like

Without digging too hard - we extended Wallis and Martin last year I believe. We've got Crozier for another year or two. Young was rarely played in best position and Schache needs to kick 7 goals to be spoken about. O'Brien almost already looks like he's on the outer.

My point wasn't so much about that, but more so that you can't tell the senior coach what to do. Even if the list manager thought we needed 5 more key backs, if Bevo didn't think they could play the way he wanted then he wouldn't play them. So telling him he needs a senior assistant coach is equally not the way to "manage" Bevo.
    Roarke Smith is the most puzzling one. How many rookie contracts, then we put him on the main list and bang, hardly sighted in the senior side!
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Roarke Smith is the most puzzling one. How many rookie contracts, then we put him on the main list and bang, hardly sighted in the senior side!
    Because his form has been crap

PS: He is still a rookie
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Spot on. The money won't go far but perhaps an assistant coach, someone in the fitness team and maybe an opposition analyst will swallow that up quickly. It really depends on what area's we think we need to invest in.
    Other clubs such as Collingwood and Geelong had no issues getting and retaining Senior Assistant coaches. Carlton were able to spend some coin getting new ones in. Melbourne, Swans and Richmond retained a lot of their coaches. There was a lot of talk pre season that there were internal issues and a few players would not re sign at year end and it looks like coming to fruition.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bullies View Post
    Other clubs such as Collingwood and Geelong had no issues getting and retaining Senior Assistant coaches. Carlton were able to spend some coin getting new ones in. Melbourne, Swans and Richmond retained a lot of their coaches. There was a lot of talk pre season that there were internal issues and a few players would not re sign at year end and it looks like coming to fruition.
    If you get a chance have a look at the Brisbane coaching team as a comparison to ours. I guess it's coming from other area's.

Post Thanks / Like

If you get a chance have a look at the Brisbane coaching team as a comparison to ours. I guess it's coming from other area's.
    Would Bevo be on a truck load more than Fagan? He should be... that might have an impact?

Post Thanks / Like

Would Bevo be on a truck load more than Fagan? He should be... that might have an impact?
    Good point. It's going to one of the challenges for a club bringing in Clarkson if the reported salaries you see about him are accurate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Because his form has been crap

PS: He is still a rookie
    How could you possibly know that?
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Spot on. The money won't go far but perhaps an assistant coach, someone in the fitness team and maybe an opposition analyst will swallow that up quickly. Plus some took pay cuts. It really depends on what area's we think we need to invest in.
    The money wont go far?

It's $500K.

How much do you think part time physios and fitness staff cost?
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

17. Likes Bullies liked this post