Likes Likes:  278
Page 14 of 25 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Honest reflection and the path forward

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    If you find out let me know.
    Very funny
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I could at the start of the year, but at six and six I can't. Happy to be surprised, but can't see it happening.

Should we not then I don't want any arm flapping, histrionics, or carry on. Rather, a sober assessment of the reasons why we didn't achieve what we aimed to and some steps to rectify any issues identified.
    Nobody is asking for arm waving, histrionics or carry on. However, there must be an assessment of the entire operation from top to bottom - when onfield performance is so inferior to internal expectations, there is no choice but to review everything forensically.

I'm still of the view we can rally for the remainder of the season, make finals and have a meaningful impact in September. Having a difficult draw will help us, it will sharpen our focus. If we don't, we have to look at everything at the end of the season. It was good enough for Geelong in 2006 and Richmond in 2016 to have this laser focus post-season, and it is frankly the bare minimum we should be doing if we flame out this season.
    Last edited by Sedat; 06-06-2022 at 01:55 PM.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

4. Likes GVGjr, EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Nobody is asking for arm waving, histrionics or carry on. However, there must be an assessment of the entire operation from top to bottom - when onfield performance is so inferior to internal expectations, there is no choice but to review everything forensically.

I'm still of the view we can rally for the remainder of the season, make finals and have a meaningful impact in September. Having a difficult draw will help us, it will sharpen our focus. If we don't, we have to look at everything at the end of the season. It was good enough for Geelong in 2006 and Richmond in 2016 to have this laser focus post-season, and It is frankly the bare minimum we should be doing if we flame out this season.
    I thought the same thing pre-Friday night. Beveridge had the team primed for a win to take us into the bye.

When it mattered we couldn't deliver.

From here our season will peter out and we will end up with 11-12 wins and finish 10th or 11th.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

6. Likes Bullies liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm still of the view we can rally for the remainder of the season, make finals and have a meaningful impact in September. Having a difficult draw will help us, it will sharpen our focus. If we don't, we have to look at everything at the end of the season. It was good enough for Geelong in 2006 and Richmond in 2016 to have this laser focus post-season, and it is frankly the bare minimum we should be doing if we flame out this season.
    I'm pretty sure you want a flutter, you know, at least a bit of one. Something like the chicken dance but more serious.

Actually, I agree with what you're saying and I think irrespective the year's on-field outcome there needs to be a review of what resulted in us being in this situation in the first place.

If you were a bank robber and you had to rely on the final high stakes car chase to get away because elements of the job went wrong and led you to that position, you'd be making sure you didn't make those same mistakes again next time you lined yourself up for a job (unless you were a bank robber because they mainly get caught - but you get my drift).
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post

If you were a bank robber and you had to rely on the final high stakes car chase to get away because elements of the job went wrong and led you to that position, you'd be making sure you didn't make those same mistakes again next time you lined yourself up for a job (unless you were a bank robber because they mainly get caught - but you get my drift).
    Speaking of bank robbers have you seen the modern day masterpiece Hell or High Water?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    I thought the same thing pre-Friday night. Beveridge had the team primed for a win to take us into the bye.

When it mattered we couldn't deliver.

From here our season will peter out and we will end up with 11-12 wins and finish 10th or 11th.
    Agreed can't see us making finals. We will give a few false hopes like beating Melbourne at Marvel but when the whips are cracking we just go missing.

Our game plan is ordinary and there is something not right within. They don't play and support as a unit. There is little leadership. Still not sure on the decision to give Macrae the VC. Does he need it or was it to get his signature. The one who has the most Leadership attributes is Dunkley but he probably wont be there next year. Libber appears to be the one who inspires and leads.

Selection is hit and miss. When Sweet plays we get clear centre clearances when he doesn't we may still win clearences but it is under pressure and we will often give it back to the opposition but still get a clearance stat. We must play x2 ruckman.

10. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with this. Weirdly enough. If we go on a hot run, we'll be hard to beat.

The question is can we get on a hot run?
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    I agree with this. Weirdly enough. If we go on a hot run, we'll be hard to beat.

There is nothing to suggest we can given the inconsistent performances we've put forward thus far. We're yet to show we can put in a consistent 3-4 qtr performance against a top 8 side, bar probably the Sydney game when our poor goal kicking stopped us from having a comfortable win and given our tough run in it's hard to make a case for us.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    There is nothing to suggest we can given the inconsistent performances we've put forward thus far. We're yet to show we can put in a consistent 3-4 qtr performance against a top 8 side, bar probably the Sydney game when our poor goal kicking stopped us from having a comfortable win and given our tough run in it's hard to make a case for us.
    I've turned my attention to the draft.

Another top 10 pick coming.

https://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_/...ck-1-contender

Two WA kids Broadbent (ruck) and Busslinger (defender) be nice. I won't go down the rabbit hole here and now but I enjoy this part of list management.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post

I doubt it the draw is very difficult, we might snare one or two against the odds but getting a run on will be tough.

My predictions :

GWS (A) : W
    HAW (H) : W
    BRI (A) : L
    SYD (A) : L
    STK (H) :? Prob loss but 50/50 on this
    MEL (H) : L
    GEE (A) : L
    FRE (H) :? Same as saints
    GWS (H) : W
    HAW (Tas) : W

So maybe 4 more wins by my guess which gets us 10 and on last seasons ladder 9/10/11 depending on percentage.

15. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've turned my attention to the draft.

Another top 10 pick coming.

https://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_/...ck-1-contender

Two WA kids Broadbent (ruck) and Busslinger (defender) be nice. I won't go down the rabbit hole here and now but I enjoy this part of list management.
    We need a ready made ruck/forward & defender... by the time these guys (new draftee's) are ready to perform at a high level Bont, Treloar, Macrae & Libba won't be as effective as they are now so we need to make the most of their careers and go ''chips in''.

17. Likes Grantysghost, MrMahatma liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I doubt it the draw is very difficult, we might snare one or two against the odds but getting a run on will be tough.

My predictions :

GWS (A) : W
    HAW (H) : W
    BRI (A) : L
    SYD (A) : L
    STK (H) :? Prob loss but 50/50 on this
    MEL (H) : L
    GEE (A) : L
    FRE (H) :? Same as saints
    GWS (H) : W
    HAW (Tas) : W

So maybe 4 more wins by my guess which gets us 10 and on last seasons ladder 9/10/11 depending on percentage.
    You will need a minimum 12 wins to make the 8. Possibly 13 with the amount of traffic.

19. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bullies View Post
    You will need a minimum 12 wins to make the 8. Possibly 13 with the amount of traffic.
    Yes and those GWS and Hawthorn (4) games are no gimmies.

Post Thanks / Like

We've done it again FFS play in a GF and then miss the 8 the year after.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    We've done it again FFS play in a GF and then miss the 8 the year after.
    I still think we are a chance to make the 8 but is it a level of complacency that embraces our club? Our recruiting in the off season would indicate we felt that we didn't need to cover Bruce or really strengthen in an area so I wonder what exactly drives these types of slumps?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"