Thanks Thanks:  45
Likes Likes:  278
Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Honest reflection and the path forward

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    When I reflect on yesterday’s game I immediately find myself in the same hole I have been in for a long time.

The quality players are not in their best positions and they are not playing smart football as a cohesive team. As a result we’re not getting the full benefits from their talent. Cordy in the ruck, 7 hitouts and 7 possessions. And some easy forward entries for the opposition.

one example from late in the game: Walker gets an easy possession 40m out and kicks a good goal. Analyse the possession. He ran into an open space and marked a soft kick. The hole was deliberate and both kicker and receiver knew it would be there and played it perfectly.

Shortly before this the ball was coming into our forward line. Schache was moving his opponent right and pointing to his left at the hole he was opening. Obviously he wanted to lead into it. But the ball holder kicked high to a pack around Naughton.

There is a lack of cohesion bringing the ball into the forward zone. One plan, kick it high to Naughton. Yes there are occasional good deliveries, Bont and McRae can do it but it’s pretty rare and our forward efficiency is very low. That is why we are not seeing those extra goals.That’s why JUH is struggling, he has to go and get the ball because it’s not being given to him. That’s why he tries to outmark Naughton.

We need players playing to a well thought out and practised plan. I’m not seeing it. We need a better match day plan (now).
    This has been a problem for a few years now and it’s rearing it’s ugly head now as a big problem . Great point
    I don’t know why all our players lead to same position

Geelong fwd line , they protect their space and lead out into their patterns

We just seem to kick it always to Naughton

Kick it to JUH or Schache on his lead or open space and honor their lead.

We are a very easy team to score off the rebound

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bullies View Post
    We were offered a first and second round pick for Dunks but wanted 2 1st rounders. Good luck getting anywhere near that now.
    Should have taken it I reckon.

Post Thanks / Like

Coaching wise, I'd be looking at Dean Cox or Monty to take over Bevo's role if that's the way we're going, I'd throw offers out to Hird and try to lure Boyd back from Freo as well.
    Forward coach, god, anyone who has experience playing forward would do, not a defender who's kicked 17 goals throughout his career...

I'd consider letting some of our HBF and Midfield go if it gave us the capital to get who we needed onto the park, Dunkley, JJ, Dale, Daniel, a mix of these guys for picks so we can try to trade in some KPD/Ruck to help fix our strucutre.

None of it will happen tho because Grant is in love with Bevo, and our CEO/President seem to be invisible, not to mention Bevo is contracted until the end of 23..
    "Its always good to win the Ashes test match'' - Libba, AFL Grand Final, 2016

Post Thanks / Like

How do we think Macrae is going as VC? With Marcus playing forward more he's the main man in the guts most of the time.
    Do we see him as a natural leader?
    Clearly an outstanding footballer, but I like many knowing his personality was surprised by that decision. Was also surprised it was appointment by decree and not a players vote.
    I think Dunkley is probably the perfect guy he screams leadership.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    How do we think Macrae is going as VC? With Marcus playing forward more he's the main man in the guts most of the time.
    Do we see him as a natural leader?
    Clearly an outstanding footballer, but I like many knowing his personality was surprised by that decision. Was also surprised it was appointment by decree and not a players vote.
    I think Dunkley is probably the perfect guy he screams leadership.
    Years back I've had a couple of Player sponsors encounters with Macrae who was fantastic to talk to and very polite but he was on the more quieter side of things and didn't appear to be a natural in terms of leadership. I can recall talking to one his sponsors a couple of years ago who was looking to move to another player because Macrae offered nothing at the dinners. That's quite a contrast but he does appear to be more naturally a quieter guy. While things change quickly though his promotion to a leadership did surprise me.

From the little I have seen he's doing OK and the fact that he's committed long term to the club seems to indicate he's invested.

A couple of years back Dunkley was in the leadership group but after his failed departure attempt he had to step back. If he signs up I'd say he is a natural for a return to the leadership group and he'd have the support of his best mate in Treloar and of course the captain. It all depends on if he recommits. One question about Dunks, he always seems overly happy and I wonder if it's time for him to project another more serious side?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

6. Thanks Grantysghost thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vred View Post
    Coaching wise, I'd be looking at Dean Cox or Monty to take over Bevo's role if that's the way we're going, I'd throw offers out to Hird and try to lure Boyd back from Freo as well.
    Forward coach, god, anyone who has experience playing forward would do, not a defender who's kicked 17 goals throughout his career...

I'd consider letting some of our HBF and Midfield go if it gave us the capital to get who we needed onto the park, Dunkley, JJ, Dale, Daniel, a mix of these guys for picks so we can try to trade in some KPD/Ruck to help fix our strucutre.

None of it will happen tho because Grant is in love with Bevo, and our CEO/President seem to be invisible, not to mention Bevo is contracted until the end of 23..
    Grant’s “in love” with the guy who got us to a GF last year? You’re insinuating that Bevo is in his role cause people like him, not cause of performance? That’s actually quite the over reaction to a poor start to the season.

The sky isn’t falling. Reality is:
    - Rd 1 we got beaten by the best (comfortably) team going around
    - Rd 2 & 4 we lost cause players missed goals. Is that Bevo’s fault?
    - Rd 6 we lost by 1 point, and no English, Hunter, Keath. Not to mention JJ and Bruce. Sucky loss but also, sucky situation.

Our list isn’t balanced enough, but I also think the circumstances of getting Treloar, JUH, and Darcy have tied our hands. We have the list we have, and while I’m sure Bevo is a big influence on the list, he actually isn’t the list manager.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Years back I've had a couple of Player sponsors encounters with Macrae who was fantastic to talk to and very polite but he was on the more quieter side of things and didn't appear to be a natural in terms of leadership. I can recall talking to one his sponsors a couple of years ago who was looking to move to another player because Macrae offered nothing at the dinners. That's quite a contrast but he does appear to be more naturally a quieter guy. While things change quickly though his promotion to a leadership did surprise me.

From the little I have seen he's doing OK and the fact that he's committed long term to the club seems to indicate he's invested.

A couple of years back Dunkley was in the leadership group but after his failed departure attempt he had to step back. If he signs up I'd say he is a natural for a return to the leadership group and he'd have the support of his best mate in Treloar and of course the captain. It all depends on if he recommits. One question about Dunks, he always seems overly happy and I wonder if it's time for him to project another more serious side?
    JT said the same when we were at a PS dinner. Macrae had to get up on stage and a few of the boys including Bont from memory were giving him a hard time. When I enquired why he said "he hates it" in reference to public speaking / attention. Which is fine of course.
    I think maybe it's one of Bevo's moves to create a leader out of him I just hope it's not adding too much stress for him firstly and leaving a bit of a leadership void in the team secondly.

I did notice when he kicked a goal against the Tigers he touched the armband (he was wearing two) and looked up I wonder if he's lost someone close recently.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    Grant’s “in love” with the guy who got us to a GF last year? You’re insinuating that Bevo is in his role cause people like him, not cause of performance? That’s actually quite the over reaction to a poor start to the season.

- Rd 6 we lost by 1 point, and no English, Hunter, Keath. Not to mention JJ and Bruce. Sucky loss but also, sucky situation.

Our list isn’t balanced enough, but I also think the circumstances of getting Treloar, JUH, and Darcy have tied our hands. We have the list we have, and while I’m sure Bevo is a big influence on the list, he actually isn’t the list manager.
    I agree on the over reactions. One thing I will say now, if Hird is ever employed by our club in any capacity, I am done.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Did someone seriously suggest we get James Hird to the club or did I imagine it?
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Did someone seriously suggest we get James Hird to the club or did I imagine it?
    Lets just stay on planet Earth thanks Jee

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post

l think this list is too short. It should go back to the Essendon game at the end of last year and then the explanation has to change.

we have lost 7 of the last 9 home and away games. An astonishing figure. Now to improve matters add in the finals. 8 of 13.

Which of these were the most difficult? Would have to say the finals - better teams and difficult circumstances. Suggests the talent factor is Okay. So what is the common thread through the losses to lower quality teams?

It has been the ruck. And particularly at centre bounces. I have been pleasantly surprised by English’s improvement this year but his hitouts are way down on what we expect to see from the genuine greats in that position. When he gets beaten the opposition has been getting a free ride into their attacking zone. Around the ground ( following) he is a spectacular success.

So do we try to minimise his weakness until he improves further, by using a tag? No.

Do we make sure we dominate the second ruck aspect of the game? No, we totally surrender that by trying to give the opposition another 20 easy clearances. Opposition teams are laughing. They know that they can exploit a weakness and they set up for it. They know that they have a chance to go from middle of the ground to goal quickly. In that Essendon game that highlighted our weakness they did it 9 times for 6 goals 3 behinds (AFL website). We saw it used against us in the grand final and We saw elements of it this weekend.

Instead of carrying one not so good and pretty ordinary small tank and inexperienced ruckman who can fix part of the problem some of the time we choose to lose them all. We lost to Port by one point, missing the opportunity for an easier path to the Grand Final. And to prove it wasn’t a fluke we lost to Adelaide by a point and put this season at risk.

Talk about ‘groundhog day’ !

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I agree on the over reactions. One thing I will say now, if Hird is ever employed by our club in any capacity, I am done.
    Same
    Last edited by I'm Not Bitter Anymore!; 25-04-2022 at 12:55 PM.

14. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

same
    Quote Originally Posted by I’m Not Bitter Anymore! View Post
    Same

Post Thanks / Like

To the OP, there's been some interesting points made. I think we need to start with the following this year:

1 x lockdown medium defender
    1 x lockdown tall defender
    1 x competent second ruck
    1 x medium sized natural forward

I can see us losing Dunkley, Wallis and Hunter (just a gut feeling) at the end of the year so some cap space should open up. If we don't lose Hunter, then we need to think about who we can trade out to free up some space to attract reasonable quality in the above positions I've mentioned. JJ may well be someone we look at.

As for coaching I'd be looking at trying to get Reece Shaw (or similar) to the club as a highly competent/ experienced senior assistant who has been exposed to the spotlight of senior coaching and probably has empathy for whoever's in the role but is unlikely to want to take it on again. That'd be unthreatening to Bevo, or should be at least.

The reality is we need to give our new assistants some time to settle in, and prove themselves capable. It was always going to be a risk that losing two experienced coaches at a time when much of the talent had been stitched up would leave us exposed and behind the eight ball a bit. This isn't Bevo's fault.

As for Bevo, he's funnily maligned even though we all admit that irrespective of selection idiosyncrasies we have major structural issues with our list and have always had them under his tenure. He might well be cooked - I mean I wouldn't really know - but I don't know what people expect of him when he's dealing with two new assistants in key roles, a sizeable list of injuries and absences to key players, and a captain that is being hidden forward due to either issues with his body or fitness/ form (for whatever reason).

We always want to think there's something more to it (every organisation has its issues) but most of the time the most apparent and fundamental issues are the ones causing the problems.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

17. Likes Happy Days, GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    As for Bevo, he's funnily maligned even though we all admit that irrespective of selection idiosyncrasies we have major structural issues with our list and have always had them under his tenure. He might well be cooked - I mean I wouldn't really know - but I don't know what people expect of him when he's dealing with two new assistants in key roles, a sizeable list of injuries and absences to key players, and a captain that is being hidden forward due to either issues with his body or fitness/ form (for whatever reason).

We always want to think there's something more to it (every organisation has its issues) but most of the time the most apparent and fundamental issues are the ones causing the problems.
    Jee, for what it's worth I think Bevo's fine. He frustrates me with the way we use rucks and our lack of KP depth but he's a very good match day coach.