Thanks Thanks:  45
Likes Likes:  278
Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1213141516171819202122232425 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Honest reflection and the path forward

Interesting… comments at half time of the giants game.

Mitch Wallis on @abcsport: I must admit there is a feeling that we’ve underachieved, and that’s obvious to anyone. Obviously there’s some locker room discussion around that, I’m not gonna lie, but there is an intensity we need to get to as well…
    Wallis: Luke (Beveridge) has a great knack of pushing and pulling when he needs to, to raise those intensity levels, whether we’ve got the balance right over the course of the year, I’m not sure.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

2. Thanks SquirrelGrip, The bulldog tragician thanked for this post
    Likes GVGjr, Smads57, SonofScray, DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Catching up on some of yesterday's podcasts and Brenton Sanderson said something interesting about Brisbane's game tonight against Melbourne which resonated with me and can be applied to the bulldogs.

In a nutshell he said the Brisbane coaching staff need somehow tell their midfield group that hey, for tonight's game we may need to slightly change the way we play to stop Melbourne's absolute strength in the ruck and midfield. E.G. Berry you go to Petracca and play a defensive role, and at times Neale, McCluggage and co you also will need to be defensively minded.

He went onto say the balancing act is you are dealing with young men and pride so you need to be careful not to deflate them and have them thinking they are not good enough.

So, a lot of discussion on this board has been centered around our players desire to sacrifice their game for the betterment of the team and why haven't we made these adjustments.

Why this year hasn't clicked on field we will never know. Only Beveridge and a couple of others will truly know.

Could it be our players did come back with zero confidence and they needed to be built back up again?

Did our topliners get distracted with their contract talks and started playing more selfish; thinking this will lead to more zero's on their contracts?

I am still of the firm view that injuries cannot be blamed on our mediocre showing.

Majority of others will disagree and if the clubs puts it down to "injuries" they are doing everyone who loves the club a disservice.

4. Thanks bornadog thanked for this post
    Likes DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I listened to Sanderson and I liked his analysis, I also liked the way he explained how he would engaged the players to motivate them and the tactics he would employ.

Hard to believe he isn't at a club.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Catching up on some of yesterday's podcasts and Brenton Sanderson said something interesting about Brisbane's game tonight against Melbourne which resonated with me and can be applied to the bulldogs.

In a nutshell he said the Brisbane coaching staff need somehow tell their midfield group that hey, for tonight's game we may need to slightly change the way we play to stop Melbourne's absolute strength in the ruck and midfield. E.G. Berry you go to Petracca and play a defensive role, and at times Neale, McCluggage and co you also will need to be defensively minded.

He went onto say the balancing act is you are dealing with young men and pride so you need to be careful not to deflate them and have them thinking they are not good enough.

So, a lot of discussion on this board has been centered around our players desire to sacrifice their game for the betterment of the team and why haven't we made these adjustments.

Why this year hasn't clicked on field we will never know. Only Beveridge and a couple of others will truly know.

Could it be our players did come back with zero confidence and they needed to be built back up again?

Did our topliners get distracted with their contract talks and started playing more selfish; thinking this will lead to more zero's on their contracts?

I am still of the firm view that injuries cannot be blamed on our mediocre showing.

Majority of others will disagree and if the clubs puts it down to "injuries" they are doing everyone who loves the club a disservice.
    They're good points.

Is anyone solely blaming injuries, or any single thing though?

Continuity across the lines is important, injuries disrupt that and while the idea of one in and one out is great it's not always practical depending on the quality of your depth, which I think for us has been a bit lacking compared to previous years (capability and form).

Coaching is an issue, and it could be related to capability but I'd be more inclined to think changing the mix so late in the piece disrupted us and our preparation suffered because of it.

And to the players, who knows what's going on upstairs with them? The difference in intensity they bring to the table varies wildly week on week, it affects concentration and skill execution, and it's also extremely visible. More so than anything I've seen from a playing group.

Anyway, it's never just one thing. We need to have a really good look across the list, coaching and other areas of our planning/ preparation etc. to get back on track.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think these are hard conversations.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

8. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Five months on we are back to this thread.

I’m not smart enough to know what changes need to be made, but we need some major changes.

Unfortunately our best player is out of contact and we’ve signed up a bunch of our players with currency on 5 year plus deals.

I’m still not sold with English as our primary ruckman as he struggles to impact the game when it isn’t going out way.

10. Likes EasternWest, GVGjr, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I’m still not sold with English as our primary ruckman as he struggles to impact the game when it isn’t going out way.
    English as a stoppage ruckman is a sunk cost. Instead of taking an assertive position with our mids, we are forced to concede the hitout and set up accordingly.

We will never achieve our full potential with English are our primary no 1 ruck 90% game time. The big dogs will always get a hold of him. He ain't going to get any better at the stoppage caper. How many years do you need as a sample size?
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

12. Likes azabob, EasternWest, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Honestly wish we could trade English and Daniel for picks and keep Dunkley.
    W00F!

14. Likes Sedat, azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Start with a crumbing forward.

That was two young talls, and a guy who's a defender mixed with small guys who play tall.

It's a horrid mix it really needs to change.

West in hindsight was sorely missed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Honestly wish we could trade English and Daniel for picks and keep Dunkley.
    Daniel?
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Five months on we are back to this thread.

I’m not smart enough to know what changes need to be made, but we need some major changes.

Unfortunately our best player is out of contact and we’ve signed up a bunch of our players with currency on 5 year plus deals.

I'm the same, I'm lost what to do. All I know is that we are so *!*!*!*!ing soft and so many haven't got a football brain between them I don't think we can change the mentality without some serious list changes.

Post Thanks / Like

We need a tall defender, a second ruck, a fit and firing Bruce and a medium sized forward.

Hit the draft to get a good ball user, rookie a ruck or pick one late in the main draft.

Get a decent psychologist to remove the bed shitting from the bed shitters, and players who can't just keep a clear head and do the simple things. Shake up the leadership group and put them on notice that if they can't adapt and lead in-game then we'll find leaders who can.

Finally, get some quality coaching in there to replace the clear quality we have lost. Keep everyone we have, sure, but actually get some reputably good people in there.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

19. Likes macca liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Blow it up. I don't have any belief they can sort this out.

21. Likes The Bulldogs Bite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    English as a stoppage ruckman is a sunk cost. Instead of taking an assertive position with our mids, we are forced to concede the hitout and set up accordingly.

We will never achieve our full potential with English are our primary no 1 ruck 90% game time. The big dogs will always get a hold of him. He ain't going to get any better at the stoppage caper. How many years do you need as a sample size?
    He is the worst boundary line ruckman I’ve ever seen… The guy is 205cm tall and never, ever takes front position.

23. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought Daniel was good tonight.