Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  62
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

When do we write off finals?

History shows that we’re still a chance to make at it 2-4, from memory Sydney made it from 0-6 a few years back, while GWS made it from 0-3 last year.

Obviously a lot needs to change and go right for us to get back to winning games and clawing back the deficit we find ourselves in. But, when do you write the season off and say we can’t make finals? 2-5? 3-7? 4-10?

Bonus question: once we reach that point do we “play the kids” book players in for surgery and begin focussing in the trade and draft period as supports?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: When do we write off finals?

If we’re sub-500 at the bye.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    If we’re sub-500 at the bye.
    Don’t mind it - would be interesting to see the data of bye vs end of season finish and how many teams get there from that position.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the stats are less important than the psychology. We don't have track record of turning our bad mindset around - Sydney and GWS both do. We tend to get 'stuck' in bad frames of mind, and this one looks worse than 2017.

Post Thanks / Like

Trying to catch water at 2/5 in my opinion. We have to try to break even until English and Keath come back.

6. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Trying to catch water at 2/5 in my opinion. We have to try to break even until English and Keath come back.
    Yep if we lose to the Bummers I will be mightily pissed as well as the Woof Forum blowing up to smithereens.

8. Likes Testekill, 1eyedog, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

When it is mathematically impossible I will concede.

In regards to question 2, I would be slowly introducing kids throughout the year to give them a taste, as long as they have some form.

I would like to see, the following play at some stage:

* Bendedo (currently with broken hand)

* Arty Jones

* Cleary

* Parker

Don't know if Darcy can recover, and Raak needs to show a lot more.

I think Buku will play sooner rather than later.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

10. Likes ratsmac, Testekill, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've written off finals already. Lots of other teams have worked hard to improve, we rested and thought it would just come. I don't think our list is in very good shape, I don't think we're mentally strong enough and I really don't think we're good enough. I can't see our team flicking a switch and turning it on and can't see our coaches being able to change things around to get us out of the hole we're in.

12. Likes DOG GOD, chef, Testekill, Vred liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    I've written off finals already. Lots of other teams have worked hard to improve, we rested and thought it would just come. I don't think our list is in very good shape, I don't think we're mentally strong enough and I really don't think we're good enough. I can't see our team flicking a switch and turning it on and can't see our coaches being able to change things around to get us out of the hole we're in.
    Agree with this…2022 is a write off.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

14. Likes Vred liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post
    Agree with this…2022 is a write off.
    I'm as pessimistic as they come with regard to our performances which have been ordinary to say the least, but there is no way at all that you can write off the season after just 6 games.

The injuries we have are to players who crucial to our teams performance and we simply don't have other players ready to go to play the role as effectively as the players they're replacing.

I'm still hopeful that we can get ourselves ahead of the ledger in terms of W/L by the time we hit the bye and if/when we have close to a full list to select from we can put our best foot forward.

16. Likes Bulldog4life, azabob, Swoop liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    I'm as pessimistic as they come with regard to our performances which have been ordinary to say the least, but there is no way at all that you can write off the season after just 6 games.

The injuries we have are to players who crucial to our teams performance and we simply don't have other players ready to go to play the role as effectively as the players they're replacing.

I'm still hopeful that we can get ourselves ahead of the ledger in terms of W/L by the time we hit the bye and if/when we have close to a full list to select from we can put our best foot forward.
    Well, the thing for me is that we just don’t have that many players playing to their potential. If MCComb is getting a game then the cupboard is bare. Yeah, we can talk about JJ, English, Bruce, Keath etc etc but what if we can’t win a game while they are out? We will get them back eventually, but that won’t be any good if we are 4-8 when it happens.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post
    Well, the thing for me is that we just don’t have that many players playing to their potential. If MCComb is getting a game then the cupboard is bare. Yeah, we can talk about JJ, English, Bruce, Keath etc etc but what if we can’t win a game while they are out? We will get them back eventually, but that won’t be any good if we are 4-8 when it happens.
    We have like 10 players out injured/unavailable at present so if any of JJ, VDM, Garcia, Hunter or Wallis are able to be selected then McComb doesn't play.... but to be fair to McComb he was next in line.

Agree that we have lots of players down on form, maybe because they're carrying a niggle or down on confidence, but it's a fickle game so it can come back quickly.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with this, apart from being a pessimist. Broadly I’m an optimist, so maybe that means I won’t give up until we legit can’t make it, or maybe even 2 weeks after

Post Thanks / Like

We have like 10 players out injured/unavailable at present so if any of JJ, VDM, Garcia, Hunter or Wallis are able to be selected then McComb doesn't play.... but to be fair to McComb he was next in line.

Agree that we have lots of players down on form, maybe because they're carrying a niggle or down on confidence, but it's a fickle game so it can come back quickly.
    Well I truly hope you’re closer to the mark than me.

21. Thanks azabob thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I’m not giving up hope just yet. Will see how we go over the next couple of weeks.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"