Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  62
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: When do we write off finals?

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Let's not mince words. If we miss finals in 2022, it's a very poor indictment on the playing group and coaching staff, as well as list management. The level of talent is more than enough to be a top 8 team, irrespective of injury and personnel issues.

Under Bevo, we have basically followed the Clarkson Hawthorn blueprint - win a flag ahead of schedule in 2008, dip in 2009, build back up in 2010/2011 with a view to contending from 2012 to 2015. We similarly won ahead of schedule in 2016, dipped in 2017/2018 (one extra year dip but we were much younger than the Hawks at the corresponding stage), built back up in 2019/2020 with a view to contending from 2021 to 2024 (hopefully longer as we are younger than the 3-peat Hawks team). They aren't my words, they are straight from Bevo's mouth - after we lost the 2020 EF, he indicated how impatient he was for sustained success.

If we do not contend this year it is nothing less than a failure of list management, coaching, player development (or a combination of all 3). If we are honest with ourselves, we need to acknowledge this otherwise we will never address the root causes and swiftly change course. I'm still confident the club will rise to the challenge for the remainder of the season (and beyond), and don't yet subscribe to the self-defeatism of writing off this season after a bit of turbulence.
    Spot on - it would be awful to look back on this period and realised we had wasted the talents of the players we have, especially in an era where there hasn;t been a dominant team (i know the Tigers won 3 GF, but to be honest they were waiting for someone like us to challenge them!). I don't think its that the players haven't developed, I think its more that by chopping and changing positions no one settles into a role.

This week is a prime example - drop JUH - ok he has struggled and maybe a bit of confidence at VFL will help. Drop Schache - why - it leaves the team unbalanced and the guy went forward and snagged a coupleof goals last week. If we miss finals its because we created problems by over comlicating things.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bullies View Post
    Stop playing these "project" players he loves. For some reason he doesn't want to be proven wrong. R Smith/McComb are just no good. They take the spot of a youngster who we could be bringing through the system.
    Roarke cops a lot for someone who was effectively the 44th player selected on the list last year. He is selfless to a fault, adequately performs the role asked of him and has a team-first ethos, something always welcome. He is the least of our problems, and we won't be winning or losing on Sunday because of him.

Who is currently bashing the door down at Footscray to play the defensive wing role?
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

3. Likes EasternWest, Happy Days, SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Roarke cops a lot for someone who was effectively the 44th player selected on the list last year. He is selfless to a fault, adequately performs the role asked of him and has a team-first ethos, something always welcome. He is the least of our problems, and we won't be winning or losing on Sunday because of him.

Who is currently bashing the door down at Footscray to play the defensive wing role?
    I have less problems with Rourke coming in than say Vanders. I have a bigger problem with dropping Schache and JUH as that means structurally we have one marking forward in the F50. I do have an issue though with West being regularly overlooked and I think Khamis should have been rewarded (especially in light of the JUH/Schache) decisions.

Overall though how we have gotten ourselves to the point where we are picking such an unbalanced team is really beyond me. Pound for pound our list is 10 goals better than Essendon's, but they will win because they have picked a team that is overall much more balanced.,

5. Likes DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Roarke is completely fine. Agree with this 100%
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

7. Likes EasternWest, Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Now hehe.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

I am not sure we write off Finals just yet. It will be difficult given our draw, but if we get Bruce back it will make our structure so much better. Thus still a chance to win another 7 or 8 games - which should be enough. Mind you if we do make Finals think we will be making up numbers.

Really need to start planning for 2023 and beyond. Sad to say when this season had so much promise.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whythelongface View Post
    I am not sure we write off Finals just yet. It will be difficult given our draw, but if we get Bruce back it will make our structure so much better. Thus still a chance to win another 7 or 8 games - which should be enough. Mind you if we do make Finals think we will be making up numbers.

Really need to start planning for 2023 and beyond. Sad to say when this season had so much promise.
    Way too early to be considering it but like you right at this moment I'm not convinced how we would perform any way.
    Things can change quickly though.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Finals are gone. I had Geelong and a Sydney as the two to shake out of the tree and wins against them would have been gold. Think we’ve stuffed it.

Post Thanks / Like

Easier to give up hope sometimes and I don't blame anyone for doing that. Very tough to be a passionate fan of the Doggies this year. We are definitely 'some' chance now but yeah, it's been so frustrating.

13. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It has been a frustrating year.

Chris Scott clearly had Geelong better prepared for us. Bevo needs to lift his game.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

15. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Scaredy cats.
    We give up on finals when we are on our last legs.

Post Thanks / Like

We're a 50/50 chance of playing finals but won't make a dent if we get there.

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone think the hammering Melbourne gave us has effected us in any way?

I recall Port being spooked after Geelong smashed them in 07.

I wonder if we have any mental scars as a group?
    W00F!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post

It's a fair call but in the industry the players are in they tend to get over things quickly.
    It was really just a bad 40 minutes and it shouldn't have scared the players.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post

I talk about this with mates when talking footy. It's possible, much like Port. I think we left a sting in their backside as well.