Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  32
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

West Coast set to launch an ‘all-out’ trade assault for a star ruck ... and it has a ‘Plan B’

Link

West Coast has launched an “all-out” assault for one of the game’s hottest young rucks, according to the Herald Sun’s Jon Ralph, who also reports the club has a back-up plan in case its bid for Tim English falls through.

But four-time Power best and fairest winner Kane Cornes believes the Eagles “cannot responsibly” consider trading for Melbourne’s Luke Jackson given its list predicament.

The Eagles on Friday night slumped to 1-6 after copping a 109-point defeat at the hands of Richmond – the club’s fourth loss by over 55 points so far this season – prompting pundits and fans to look towards what the Eagles will do in the off-season.

Speaking on Fox Footy on Friday night — and expanding on his Herald Sun story — Ralph said the Eagles had strong interest in both 24-year-old English and 20-year-old Jackson, who are both out of contract at season’s end after being drafted out of Western Australia.

“The Eagles have launched an all-out assault on Western Bulldogs ruckman Tim English – and they have a Plan B as well,” Ralph reported on Fox Footy.

“They believe English is a successor to Nic Naitanui – he’s 32 next Wednesday, he’s out of contract. (But) my understanding is he’ll sign a one-year deal at the end of the season

“They (the Eagles) have gone to Melbourne to watch English, they think at times he’s going to say yes to them. Here’s the problem: He will meet his management stable next Monday. He’s happy, he’s playing pure ruck and doing it well

“I think the strong indication now after he postponed talks is he’ll stay at the Western Bulldogs. That would mean those talks will start soon.

“So what that happens then? They will put all their eggs in the Luke Jackson basket – the Melbourne third-year ruckman.

“They have the cap space if the deal is back-ended, they can offer all the opportunity he wants as early as 2024, he is extremely close to his family.

“He hasn’t made a decision to go, but he certainly hasn’t made a decision to stay either.

“Jackson would get massive money anyway, but how would he even get to West Coast? He’s not going to get there through the pre-season draft, but that could potentially be used as leverage – that’s a long way down the track.

“But he hasn’t made a decision, he’s in no hurry, he certainly has committed to staying yet.”

Essendon legend Matthew Lloyd last month declared Jackson, 20, could be the “hottest property” in the game by mid-season.

But Cornes said it would be irresponsible if West Coast offered Jackson a multimillion-dollar contract at, what now appears to be, the start of a rebuild.

“Do you (target) Luke Jackson now considering he’s not a free agent, he’s going to cost you … two top-10 picks (at least) … and he’s going to cost you $1 million a year for a player who isn’t playing like a $1 million dollars?” Cornes asked on SEN’s Crunch Time on Saturday.

“You cannot responsibly do that deal, I don’t think, if you’re West Coast if you’re rebuilding.

“I wouldn’t be doing (the) Luke Jackson (deal) — no way.”

Melbourne champion Garry Lyon said the Demons were “very confident” Jackson would stay – at least in the short-term.

“At some stage he may be going back to Western Australia,” Lyon told Fox Footy on Friday night. “But if you’re that young man now in this situation, playing behind Max Gawn who’ll be transitioning out over the next two years so Luke Jackson becomes the 60-40 (ruckman), a team in a window … my great hope is he would stay, maybe pinch one or two premierships.

“If he’s going to be offered the sort of money he’s being offered now, another two years down the track under Max in this very good footy side – if it’s about money, he’s only going to be offered more.”
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: West Coast set to launch an ‘all-out’ trade assault for a star ruck ... and it has a ‘Plan B’

We need to keep Chilli.

Need to. End of.

3. Likes bornadog, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: West Coast set to launch an ‘all-out’ trade assault for a star ruck ... and it has a ‘Plan B’

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    We need to keep Chilli.

Need to. End of.
    100% agree and with our lack of depth at the ruck position we are massively at risk and I suspect we will need to play overs to keep him.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    100% agree and with our lack of depth at the ruck position we are massively at risk and I suspect we will need to play overs to keep him.
    There's what 2 good Rucks on big money.

You just need an average ruck.

If Tim wants to go and we leverage that for an average ruck and something else like a small forward perfect.

Use it wisely.

This is the way

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post

If Tim wants to go and we leverage that for an average ruck and something else like a small forward perfect.

Use it wisely.

This is the way
    You prob need an “above average” ruck. Plus, that’s ok if other parts of the team are above average / elite.

If you’re saying that the best rucks don’t win flags, you’re right I guess cause Grundy, Natanui and Gawn have 1(?) between them.

That’s why list management is a tough gig and also, why, you need a strategy to match your style of play and not leave you exposed to 1 or 2 injuries.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post

Use it wisely.

This is the way
    This trade period could force us to re-balance the list in spite of ourselves. We are quite possibly losing English, Dunkley and maybe even Bazlenka.

My preference is to keep Timmy and Baz but if we do lose them, we simply MUST bring in 1 mature ready to go ruck (Pittonet/Flynn type level is ok), a viable 2nd ruck type, a first choice KPD and a best 18 forward with goal kicking credentials.

Losing Timmy would be a gut punch though.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

What makes you think we’ll lose Baz?

I reckon we’ll keep Tim and Baz, lose Dunks and prob a couple others seeking opportunities elsewhere (Wallis, West for eg)

Post Thanks / Like

What makes you think we’ll lose Baz?

I reckon we’ll keep Tim and Baz, lose Dunks and prob a couple others seeking opportunities elsewhere (Wallis, West for eg)
    I think other clubs will offer him a lot more money and off field opportunities.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

You prob need an “above average” ruck. Plus, that’s ok if other parts of the team are above average / elite.

If you’re saying that the best rucks don’t win flags, you’re right I guess cause Grundy, Natanui and Gawn have 1(?) between them.

That’s why list management is a tough gig and also, why, you need a strategy to match your style of play and not leave you exposed to 1 or 2 injuries.
    I meant a good solid ruck type. Tigers had Nankervis and he's no star.

Post Thanks / Like

Can’t lose him. As was proven last week he’s gotten so good that he’s actually the difference between winning and losing.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

12. Likes Bulldog4life, Testekill, WBFC4FFC, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Can’t lose him. As was proven last week he’s gotten so good that he’s actually the difference between winning and losing.
    Yeah, pretty much. He’s probably going to get even better over the next few years too.

14. Likes Bulldog4life, Testekill, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    This trade period could force us to re-balance the list in spite of ourselves. We are quite possibly losing English, Dunkley and maybe even Bazlenka.

My preference is to keep Timmy and Baz but if we do lose them, we simply MUST bring in 1 mature ready to go ruck (Pittonet/Flynn type level is ok), a viable 2nd ruck type, a first choice KPD and a best 18 forward with goal kicking credentials.

Losing Timmy would be a gut punch though.
    If we lost English, Baz and Dunks then we aren’t making finals for the next 5 years.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps West Coast really haven't learned anything from the Tim Kelly trade.

I guess we are about to find out.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree we need to keep the big Chilli, but I would trade him for 2 first round picks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    I agree we need to keep the big Chilli, but I would trade him for 2 first round picks
    End of last year I was open to trading him. With the improvement we've seen now, not so much but you raise an interesting point.

What's the point at which we say yes? Top 3 pick? Two first round picks, one of which is in the top 10?
    W00F!

19. Likes EasternWest, jeemak liked this post