Thanks Thanks:  19
Likes Likes:  88
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: AFL club Western Bulldogs rocked by historical child sexual abuse scandal

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/n...club-statement

Weird and overly combative statement from the Club. To me there’s clear liability exposure here and I would’ve thought we’d be way better off distancing ourselves from it.
    You don't think that is written by a lawyer
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

This whole thing sucks.

Must be demoralising for the people the have worked for years and years to build up profit.

I'm not going to pretend to understand the pay out figure.

First feel is that it's pretty high. Not sure if we pay it over time or it's a lump sum?

No win situation, and the mongrel who did it is dead.

3. Likes GVGjr, ratsmac, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

There is no winner in this situation. The club should've been more diligent in making sure this type of thing can't happen, but these type of predators don't need much to take advantage. It's a shame the club is the one held responsible but there must be some gross negligence on their behalf to be made pay that sort of compensation.
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

Post Thanks / Like

Surely the AFL subsidises the club. In a billion dollar industry and under the umbrella of an organisation which makes obscene profits, no club should be significantly affected by a historical payout like this.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    Surely the AFL subsidises the club. In a billion dollar industry and under the umbrella of an organisation which makes obscene profits, no club should be significantly affected by a historical payout like this.
    Pfft, the AFEL only subsidises clubs that willfully shit on people, the game and its reputation, not those that don't.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ratsmac View Post
    There is no winner in this situation. The club should've been more diligent in making sure this type of thing can't happen, but these type of predators don't need much to take advantage. It's a shame the club is the one held responsible but there must be some gross negligence on their behalf to be made pay that sort of compensation.
    Those days there was no such thing as "working with Children check" I think the person was a volunteer at the club.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    You don't think that is written by a lawyer
    I promise I know all too well it’s written by a lawyer. I don’t think it was written by a *good* lawyer though.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    I promise I know all too well it’s written by a lawyer. I don’t think it was written by a *good* lawyer though.
    Lawyer's probably just doing what Peter Gordon is telling them to do and apparently Peter Gordon can't do no wrong........

We have every right to defend our position to the highest extent of the law. It was weird outlining to supporters/ the public the police trial that occurred years ago, to me that was unnecessary.

State your case, show compassion, take it to the next stage.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

10. Likes josie, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Staggering payout figure, even just focusing on the loss of earnings payout its set out at about $86k a year which people in 1993 would have been extremely happy to receive at 3.5x the median wage

Awful situation all round and I dont think Gordon did himself or the Bulldogs any favours by saying he was unaware of all of it.

12. Likes SonofScray, EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    Staggering payout figure, even just focusing on the loss of earnings payout its set out at about $86k a year which people in 1993 would have been extremely happy to receive at 3.5x the median wage
    I'm no legal expert but I have heard of juries getting carried away with payouts and them being reduced on appeal. Is that a chance of happening here? It would still acknowledge the horrendous experience of Adam, but at a level that won't cripple the club for the actions of a non-employee 40 years ago.

14. Likes SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have no problem with big payouts from organisations that hide, protect and cover up child abuse. But if this is a one off and the churches, scouts etc aren't held to this standard then I'm less inclined to accept that amount

16. Likes Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

40 years ago life was different . Most clubs survived on volunteers . This pay out is based on what we know now not then.
    We looked at volunteers being close to kids as trusted people and were happy to have people like that .
    The last 20 years we have learnt to look for signs and realise that pedophiles are experts at getting into employment where kids are involved . Eg teachers, Churches etc trusted jobs or so we thought.
    This Judge has made a decision on what we know now not what we knew then as far as pedophiles are concerned.
    I am in no way condoning it in any form but it’s like fining someone for being over .05 and drink drinking back in 1960 when it wasn’t even a thought.
    I hope the guy recovers as much as possible it’s a terrible thing.
    Bring back the biff

18. Likes angelopetraglia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Really good points Ledge.

I have a gut feeling the churches etc. have got off lightly. The recent high court finding that plaintiffs can still pursue cases in court after alleged perpetrator is dead seemed fair to me, and kinda unbelievable that in earlier Supreme Court finding (I think it was NSW) that they could not.

I also hope the person receives all the support they can and are able to enjoy most of their life after such traumatic experiences.

I also hope our club is able to pay without putting our club on struggle street again, whatever the outcome of the appeal.

The bit that I have some curiosity about is whether our club knew about allegations when they resurfaced some time after the abuse (abuse ‘84 to ‘90, front page local newspaper article 1994 which named Hobbs and outlined he was facing court for molesting a young boy at the back of the Whitten Oval grandstand). I’m not sure we’ll ever know definitively.

Presuming organisations have correct systems in place now and culture to match….the ruling puts organisations on notice - don’t feign ignorance and make sure you actively encourage, monitor and keep abreast of allegations etc. (I’m not saying our club did know, however I’m really surprised they didn’t if that’s the case).
    Last edited by josie; 10-11-2023 at 05:32 PM.

20. Likes angelopetraglia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The perp. is liable. The club is not - unless they wrote it into his duty statement!

The club cannot be liable for all the crimes anyone associated with them has ever committed. It is just ridiculous.

22. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Uninformed View Post
    The perp. is liable. The club is not - unless they wrote it into his duty statement!

The club cannot be liable for all the crimes anyone associated with them has ever committed. It is just ridiculous.
    One of the perps, has done his time (horseshit) and is living in country Victoria.

The Cats might be sleeping uneasy atm. (from April).

https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/ge...6171c4c7da2962