Thanks Thanks:  19
Likes Likes:  88
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: AFL club Western Bulldogs rocked by historical child sexual abuse scandal

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    Yeah I knew that but its extremely vague. Did they break it down any further saying what we actually did poorly vs what we should have done?
    Not to my knowledge. I only read what I could in any newspaper online.

Post Thanks / Like

If it's a jury trial then there will be very little reasoning for the decision.

Was the club on the balance of probabilities negligent in its obligations in keeping a minor safe from harm. Did the club owe a duty of care to the minor to keep them safe from harm. Did the club through its acts or omissions allow a minor to be abused thereby failing in its duty of care.

The appeal is likely to be an alleged error in law in that the jury was wrong to extend the duty of care to the club for the actions of a volunteer. The key is the omissions in this case. If the facts can prove that mangement at the club knew or were made aware and did nothing, well regardless of standards now and back then, we are probably liable, but if no one in a position of authority was aware, and there was no safeguarding requirements etc back in the 80's then the claim is harder to prove and damages will be lower as a consequence - mitigating factors.

Post Thanks / Like

If the Bulldogs case resulted in ~$6m of damages. The Perth Wildcats should be facing $600m. What the Wildcasts are accused of doing is at least 100 times worse than the Bulldogs accusations https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-11-...ault/102958610

4. Likes Yankee Hotel Foxtrot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

There is a new article about this on the Australian website which I cannot access behind its payroll payroll.

The headline says Child sex abuse case costs AFL's Bulldogs $7.4 million.

The copy underneath says the Western Bulldogs AFL team has added $1.5 million worth of costs to it's nearly $6 million sex abuse compensation bill.

Perhaps someone with a subscription to the site could post the article.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    There is a new article about this on the Australian website which I cannot access behind its payroll payroll.

The copy underneath says the Western Bulldogs AFL team has added $1.5 million worth of costs to it's nearly $6 million sex abuse compensation bill.

Not news. Was in the financial results a while back

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post

The financial result includes a loss from operations (before redevelopment activities) of $6,051,332 (2022: $1,363,857 profit) which comprises a legal judgement of damages and associated costs relating to the recent Supreme Court case involving the Club, totalling $7,430,490 (2022: Nil).  The Club intends to appeal this judgement.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Not news. Was in the financial results a while back
    OK missed that.

So much for The Australian and its news.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post

Pay wall smay wall.

https://archive.is/2023.12.09-030007...662-1702090816

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Interesting. Can you do the same with the articles underneath that one;

Dogs’ financials remain in limbo until compensation appeal

Revealed: How Dogs will pay $5.9m legal bill

Please and thank you.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Interesting. Can you do the same with the articles underneath that one;

Dogs’ financials remain in limbo until compensation appeal

Revealed: How Dogs will pay $5.9m legal bill

Please and thank you.
    https://archive.is/2023.12.10-025623...33b-1702176991

https://archive.is/2023.12.10-030240...0a7-1702177367

Post Thanks / Like

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.