Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  25
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: AFL Game Day R12 2022

Quote Originally Posted by soupman View Post
    We were too short last year. We've had the exact same shopping list the last two trade periods, or at least this forum did. A key defender and a ruck. Aside from an undersized O'Brien and a completely cooked (but very nice) Martin we have not addressed it.
    This is where I get a bit confused, in nearly every trade period where we point out the gaps they aren't seen by many as a genuine priority. It's not until the season starts that it then becomes a bit of an issue and even a reason why we have lost.

I think O'Brien would have been a good addition if we had kept Young so I now see TOB as more of a Easton Wood replacement than adding depth to the KPD stocks.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

We haven't had a lot of currency given we used a lot of picks on JUH & Darcy.

What should we have done? You gotta give something to get it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post

While I'm a firm believer that you have to stump up to get something good, we did pay a premium on these boys especially given they were coming off a couple of very disrupted development years.
    It will all just take a bit of time to get the return we are looking for.

Both boys were always going to be longer term projects. In a couple of years time we will be talking about what a steal they were.

4. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post

Also, the last couple of years, we brought in Keath, Bruce, Gardner, Martin. Very difficult to do everything.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Also, the last couple of years, we brought in Keath, Bruce, Gardner, Martin. Very difficult to do everything.
    Keath, Bruce & Gardner were brought in 3-4 seasons ago... we brought in Martin 2 years ago.

After the 2020 & 2021 seasons we have brought in f-all ready made KP players whilst drafting in a number of ready made small players (Scott, McComb, etc.) when we were already well stocked for those types... it makes no sense.

7. Likes Sedat, DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just on that, Gardner came in as a rookie after a few years at Geelong, Martin was a bit of a gamble and when we realised he was injury injury prone than we hoped we didn't do anything to address it in fact we lost Young.
    Bruce was always going to miss the better part of this season and Keath has been an excellent addition.

Marra and Darcy were sort of forced upon us and what we haven't been able to do is prove we can develop taller players although Naughton was an inspired selection who quickly fitted in and English has taken just a bit longer than we hoped but he is bloody good now.

Our later selections in the drafts have tended to be more midfield and or experienced types.
    Hayes, Cav, McNeil, Scott and McComb types.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Keath, Bruce & Gardner were brought in 3-4 seasons ago... we brought in Martin 2 years ago.

After the 2020 & 2021 seasons we have brought in f-all ready made KP players whilst drafting in a number of ready made small players (Scott, McComb, etc.) when we were already well stocked for those types... it makes no sense.
    Year Drafted/Traded

2019 Keath, Bruce
    2020 Martin, Gardner, JUH
    2021 Darcy

* 2019 during the year Tom Boyd Retired which didn't help us.

2020/21 we didn't have any currency to trade for a quality tall. 2021, we were on the hunt for another Tall backman and ruck, but couldn't bring anyone in.

It is not as if we did *!*!*!*! all.

I would have tried to rookie another young tall for the future, but that doesn't help right now.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

The players on the market need to want to come play for us.

Ruckman: Ladhams, Choi, Soldo, Pinott , Fort, Keuger, Lynch , Mason Cox, Ceglar , Preuss were traded in last couple of years.

Fwd: Wright , Jess Hogan , Ben Brown

Def: Markov

I am going on the assumption we inquired but for some reason or another they went to another club.

I am on the Levi Casboult wagon as chop out player, who can play forward. Don't know what was reason why we did not recruit him as a 1 year contract player .

Its a shame Young could not develop into a ruck as he is a good intercept mark .

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah nah Gardner was mid year 2019.

Maybe we can run with the "we tried" defence for one trade period but not two.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

12. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by macca View Post
    The players on the market need to want to come play for us. .
    Equally it is on us to make them want to come to us.

Considering the only guys we have convin ed to come over in the last two years are two guys with literally no other options and a fringe guy with a new coach I'd argue that's pretty clear evidence we are either not trying or have nfi what we are doing when we do.

Couple that with the AFLW debacle where we recruit nobody and constantly lose our players at a rate seemingly much higher than other clubs and it seems we have a club wide issue selling ourselves as an employer.

Considering while we aren't the biggest club we are quite successful of late, seem to have a happy group playing for us and seem to be in a good position off field it is baffling what we consistently are doing wrong across the club.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

14. Likes macca liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah nah Gardner was mid year 2019.

Maybe we can run with the "we tried" defence for one trade period but not two.
    Yes my Mistake, but that is two Key Backs in the one year

We used up our first rounders and more in 2020 and 2021

Post Thanks / Like

Couple that with the AFLW debacle where we recruit nobody and constantly lose our players at a rate seemingly much higher than other clubs and it seems we have a club wide issue selling ourselves as an employer.
    We went down the path of Drafting players which will payoff. As for losing players, need to back that statement compared to other clubs

Post Thanks / Like

Well:

Keath - end of 2019. Cost us a 2020 2nd rounder and got a 3rd in return.
    Bruce - end of 2019. Cost us picks 32 & 51 from 2019 draft.
    Gardiner - 2019 Mid-season draft.

So the last trade period where we didn't have a top 2 draftee to spend our picks on, we got 2 KPPs (using a future pick on one), and had 6 months earlier picked one up in the mid-season draft.

I guess a big issue has been Young & Trengrove leaving and not being replaced. Schache hasn't lived up to expectations.

I think the list has holes and am as annoyed as anyone. I also am not sure how we could've done more in the past few years? I mean, maybe we could've picked up fringe talls as opposed to fringe mids? Maybe state league talls rather than McComb, Scott etc?

Post Thanks / Like

Year Drafted/Traded

2019 Keath, Bruce
    2020 Martin, Gardner, JUH
    2021 Darcy

* 2019 during the year Tom Boyd Retired which didn't help us.

2020/21 we didn't have any currency to trade for a quality tall. 2021, we were on the hunt for another Tall backman and ruck, but couldn't bring anyone in.

It is not as if we did *!*!*!*! all.

I would have tried to rookie another young tall for the future, but that doesn't help right now.
    Gardner was drafted in the middle of 2019.

We've done nothing to bring in ''ready made'' KPP's over the last 2 years, but have brought in lots of small/ mids... our list is out of balance and the excuses you give are just that.

19. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Gardner was drafted in the middle of 2019.

We've done nothing to bring in ''ready made'' KPP's over the last 2 years, but have brought in lots of small/ mids... our list is out of balance and the excuses you give are just that.
    Not giving excuses.

What I am saying is how do you bring them in when your first rounders are used up on JUH and Darcy. How do you get a decent ready made KPP if you have no currency?

Yes I stated above I made a mistake on year Gardner was drafted