Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  42
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: AFL Game Day R15 2022

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    He knew exactly what he was doing. The big giveaway is passing/ ignoring the footy and going the body.
    The $300m Taxpayer Funded Pissant Regional Toy Ground protection racket has been in full swing since Saturday arvo. It's a shame we just had Queens birthday awards, otherwise Tom Stewart would have been in line for an Order of Australia.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    That's a good point re replays. The VAR is really annoying.

For eg with the Stewart/Prestia incident. I'd have the same type of system.

You've got a player knocked out. The ARC or whatever it's called notifies the umpire at the next stoppage that something has happened and needs to be checked.

He goes to a screen on the side and decides. It can be over in a few minutes, but it would be a culture change that people might struggle with.

Would need to be used with discretion.
    I think you take it out of the field umpire/s hands and the ''video umpire'' makes the decision.

The game can continue whilst a decision is being made and then the emergency umpire notifies the on-field umpires at the next stoppage in play of the decision.

Would think it might be a once a year occurrence for incidents such as this one and the Cameron hit on Andrews.

3. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm against it. I understand the concerns in game about a victims side being disadvantaged but i think it's careful what you wish for and I do not trust the AFL one bit to do it well.

I'd much rather they actually start treating incidents with clear malicious intent seriously when they hand out suspensions instead of trying to fix it in the middle of a game.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

5. Thanks Grantysghost thanked for this post
    Likes Happy Days liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupman View Post
    I'm against it. I understand the concerns in game about a victims side being disadvantaged but i think it's careful what you wish for and I do not trust the AFL one bit to do it well.

I'd much rather they actually start treating incidents with clear malicious intent seriously when they hand out suspensions instead of trying to fix it in the middle of a game.
    A consistent and strong approach at the tribunal is the answer, if players know they're going to miss 4 or 5 weeks it's a fair deterrent for them.

I don't think Stewart intended to knock out Prestia but once his focus diverted away from the football and more to making contact with the man then he has to accept the outcomes for that decision.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

7. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

but it would be a culture change that people might struggle with.
    Wayne Carey still has a prominent career in the industry. James Hird is starting to be talked about like he's the second coming. Campbell Brown still has a job. The culture doesn't change so this is a moot point.
    "It's over. It's all over."

9. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The yellow and red card system works in other levels of Aussie Rules. Yellow card is 15 minutes off for a reportable offence. Red card is off for the game for a serious offence or 2nd yellow. Should have been in the AFL decades ago.

As for the Stewart v Prestia incident, why was the game allowed to continue? The umpire even told Prestia to get out of the protected zone whilst he was lying on the ground, barely conscious and being attended to by trainers...what a muppet.
    Footscray member since 1980.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flamethrower View Post
    The yellow and red card system works in other levels of Aussie Rules. Yellow card is 15 minutes off for a reportable offence. Red card is off for the game for a serious offence or 2nd yellow.
    We have a BLUE card as well now.

Player leaves the field with a head injury? If an oppo player was deemed to have caused said injury, he is sent from the field until the concussion test is completed (because the player with a player under concussion protocol is effectively one-short whilst the test is happening). It actually makes too MUCH sense.

On the weekend, we had a player leave the field under concussion protocols and ruled out of the game. Once the test was complete, the other teams player was able to go back on (so it isn't an instant report/conviction)...I mean, I guess we were still disadvantaged (especially since he has now been rubbed out for 3-weeks) but it's the testing period that (to me at least) is the key at AFL level...you can't activate your sub in a lot of cases until the test results are back, so you are effectively a rotation down...
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

12. Thanks hujsh, Grantysghost thanked for this post
    Likes josie, Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flamethrower View Post
    The yellow and red card system works in other levels of Aussie Rules. Yellow card is 15 minutes off for a reportable offence. Red card is off for the game for a serious offence or 2nd yellow. Should have been in the AFL decades ago.

As for the Stewart v Prestia incident, why was the game allowed to continue? The umpire even told Prestia to get out of the protected zone whilst he was lying on the ground, barely conscious and being attended to by trainers...what a muppet.
    It's a very immature sport that doesn't penalise critical incidents in game.
    Opposition is extreme conservativism mainly Kennett and gang.
    It just makes sense.
    Name one major sport that doesn't do this.

Also, no our game isn't that unique.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post

Player leaves the field with a head injury? If an oppo player was deemed to have caused said injury, he is sent from the field until the concussion test is completed (because the player with a player under concussion protocol is effectively one-short whilst the test is happening). It actually makes too MUCH sense.

On the weekend, we had a player leave the field under concussion protocols and ruled out of the game. Once the test was complete, the other teams player was able to go back on (so it isn't an instant report/conviction)...I mean, I guess we were still disadvantaged (especially since he has now been rubbed out for 3-weeks) but it's the testing period that (to me at least) is the key at AFL level...you can't activate your sub in a lot of cases until the test results are back, so you are effectively a rotation down...
    How do they handle incidental or accidental contact to the head in that scenario? I'm assuming it's subjective, how could it not be.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

How do they handle incidental or accidental contact to the head in that scenario? I'm assuming it's subjective, how could it not be.
    Same as the world game when they go for a header.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post

I'm not sure why we can't be progressive enough to learn from sports that let's face it are worth probably our entire competition per game.

Or maybe let's live in the era where Blight and Sheedy can send out hit men with zero penalty.

17. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Same as the world game when they go for a header.
    So you're saying the competition MJP is talking about handles those incidents the same way the world game does via VAR?
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe we should look at Ice Hockey and give the side that loses the player a power play the offending player goes into I suppose a sin bin for a set amount of time and have to play short.
    Mind you I'm still against changes to the rules and they need to reel a few of the latest one back.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

So you're saying the competition MJP is talking about handles those incidents the same way the world game does via VAR?
    I don't know what I'm saying. Let me know when you find out Jee.