Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  42
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: AFL Game Day R15 2022

Suns are really pushing things with Port, next goal important.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Mr Complete Defensive Performance just squibbed it at the worst possible moment. Good stuff.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

The more football I watch, the more I'm convinced that the ability to kick the ball hard and low over 30 - 50mt should be one of the key skills we seek in the players we draft and recruit.

The number of times over the weekend that I saw high, loopy hang time specials give defenders the time to make a contest or intercept the ball was very noticeable.

Blokes who can kick like Bont and Bailey Dale are invaluable.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

4. Likes GVGjr, Dry Rot, DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by merantau View Post
    The more football I watch, the more I'm convinced that the ability to kick the ball hard and low over 30 - 50mt should be one of the key skills we seek in the players we draft and recruit.

The number of times over the weekend that I saw high, loopy hang time specials give defenders the time to make a contest or intercept the ball was very noticeable.

Blokes who can kick like Bont and Bailey Dale are invaluable.
    And Schache, Daniel.

6. Likes merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Did I hear right that there is some conjecture if the Tom Stewart report is careless not intentional?
    I'm not sure how they could come to that conclusion.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Did I hear right that there is some conjecture if the Tom Stewart report is careless not intentional?
    I guess the whole “1 second at most to make a decision” is important. I love hanging cats out to dry and even more when it could help us but also, there’s 1 second.

Post Thanks / Like

The powers of ambiguity.

Why even have careless or intentional?

For me this also raises the issue of a card system. Tigers lose by a few points after a prime mover is removed and Stewart is important in Cats win. Nice it was them after Cotchin/Shiel, however irony aside I'd advocate for something like the hockey system.

"There are three cards, green, yellow, and red, which are used for misconduct violations. The green card is used for warnings, the yellow card is used to remove a player from the game for a minimum of five minutes, and the red card disqualifies the player from the game"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    The powers of ambiguity.

Why even have careless or intentional?

For me this also raises the issue of a card system. Tigers lose by a few points after a prime mover is removed and Stewart is important in Cats win. Nice it was them after Cotchin/Shiel, however irony aside I'd advocate for something like the hockey system.

"There are three cards, green, yellow, and red, which are used for misconduct violations. The green card is used for warnings, the yellow card is used to remove a player from the game for a minimum of five minutes, and the red card disqualifies the player from the game"
    With the way our sport is played, far more contact than many other sports, my concerns about moving to a card based system and especially send off's is that we will spend the following week debating the merits of the card adjudications. There is a significant amount of carry on over a 50mtr penalty or how an umpire interprets a standing rule now so I hate to think what might happen if someone like Bont was sent to the sin bin for 5 or 10 minutes or Joel Selwood wasn't sent off. There is a chance the debate will be more focused on the decisions of the umpires

The AFL is a very different sport to the world game where players face off against each other and off side rules retain a level of order.
    An AFL player going for the ball can have the opposition coming at him from all sides so I suppose the point I'm trying to make what works well for soccer or even basketball may not transition into the AFL.
    It's faster paced than many other sports, there are no real time outs and there are 36 players on the field which creates a bit more chaotic contests than other comps.

Keep the penalties at a level that is a significant deterrent rather than putting the onus on an umpire to make a snap decision during a game.

Post Thanks / Like

With the way our sport is played, far more contact than many other sports, my concerns about moving to a card based system and especially send off's is that we will spend the following week debating the merits of the card adjudications. There is a significant amount of carry on over a 50mtr penalty or how an umpire interprets a standing rule now so I hate to think what might happen if someone like Bont was sent to the sin bin for 5 or 10 minutes or Joel Selwood wasn't sent off. There is a chance the debate will be more focused on the decisions of the umpires

The AFL is a very different sport to the world game where players face off against each other and off side rules retain a level of order.
    An AFL player going for the ball can have the opposition coming at him from all sides so I suppose the point I'm trying to make what works well for soccer or even basketball may not transition into the AFL.
    It's faster paced than many other sports, there are no real time outs and there are 36 players on the field which creates a bit more chaotic contests than other comps.

Keep the penalties at a level that is a significant deterrent rather than putting the onus on an umpire to make a snap decision during a game.
    I don't think it would be that hard to be honest. It would take some adjustment for sure but our game isn't that different to many others.
    World game is a 360 game, many tackles from behind and shoulder to shoulder.

I just hate taking out players, I was sat on the fence as a 14 year old when Daniher knocked out Brown and I've hated it ever since. Typical Sheedy.

Post Thanks / Like

What an absolute joke to grade this as careless. He went the bump, he knew what he was doing and elbowed him in the head.

The bullshit that came out on the weekend with " I am so sorry", his coach hugging him, oh he is such a great guy - just ridiculous.

This is no less than 4 weeks plus, and should be stamped out of the game, if the AFL were serious.

PS: a send off card would not work in our game, and I agree with all your arguments above.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

He knew exactly what he was doing. The big giveaway is passing/ ignoring the footy and going the body.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

He runs past the ball and elbows him in the head. Like I'm supposed to buy that a guy recruited out of the Geelong Football League didn't know exactly what he was doing.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    What an absolute joke to grade this as careless. He went the bump, he knew what he was doing and elbowed him in the head.

The bullshit that came out on the weekend with " I am so sorry", his coach hugging him, oh he is such a great guy - just ridiculous.

This is no less than 4 weeks plus, and should be stamped out of the game, if the AFL were serious.

PS: a send off card would not work in our game, and I agree with all your arguments above.
    International rules had it, not sure it wouldn't work. Most other major codes are mature enough to deal with this type of system.

Order-off rule

A referee can send off any player for a period of 10 minutes (yellow card) or for the remainder of the game (red card) depending on the incident and severity of it. Players cannot be replaced and a red card also results in a penalty kick.

All you old conservatives fearing change !! xD

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post

In terms of someone throwing haymakers like Lynch did all those years ago I could probably live with a send off rule but those examples are few and far between and there is an element of confusion in those collision incidents that are often answered by looking at slow motion replays a few times. We just don't have time to wait for that to happen during games.

Post Thanks / Like

In terms of someone throwing haymakers like Lynch did all those years ago I could probably live with a send off rule but those examples are few and far between and there is an element of confusion in those collision incidents that are often answered by looking at slow motion replays a few times. We just don't have time to wait for that to happen during games.
    That's a good point re replays. The VAR is really annoying.

For eg with the Stewart/Prestia incident. I'd have the same type of system.

You've got a player knocked out. The ARC or whatever it's called notifies the umpire at the next stoppage that something has happened and needs to be checked.

He goes to a screen on the side and decides. It can be over in a few minutes, but it would be a culture change that people might struggle with.

Would need to be used with discretion.

18. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post