Thanks Thanks:  154
Likes Likes:  1,003
Page 22 of 131 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718192021222324252627282930313272122 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Early Trade Rumours for 2022

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    It's tough, I agree. Those 5 year deals can kill you. Market might be saying 5 years so sometimes we have to if you want to keep that player.

FWIW I was stoked we got Macrae at 5 years, would we say the same if say Dunkely was signed on for the same?
    I would be OK with a LT deal for Dunks. He's been a consistently good performer for us. It would just need some safe guards.

Long term deals can really hurt you especially if they back end loaded and the player is either injured or his form drops. They can also be a huge win for the club if the player exceeds the standards you signed him to. I guess there is a lot of emphasis on clauses, incentives and triggers which is where it can get complicated.

LT deals are necessary evil
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

THE SIX NAMES TO WATCH IN THIS YEAR'S AFL RUCK MERRY-GO-ROUND

The 2021 AFL trade period saw five ruckmen shift clubs with Callum Coleman-Jones (Richmond to North Melbourne), Jon Ceglar (Hawthorn to Geelong), Darcy Fort (Geelong to Brisbane), Peter Ladhams (Port Adelaide to Sydney) and Max Lynch (Collingwood to Hawthorn) involved.

Will we see a second straight ruck merry-go-round? AFL journalist Callum Twomey believes there’s every chance.

The headline name will of course be Melbourne’s Luke Jackson, with Twomey saying his decision will have big ramifications on the rest of the trade period either way.

“Luke Jackson’s decision is definitely going to create a ripple effect one way or another whether he stays or goes,” he told SEN Breakfast.

“There’s definitely a feel around clubs that Freo or West Coast are certainly more in play for him now than they were some time ago.

“The ruck merry-go-round had five rucks change clubs last year. I think it could be about the same number this off-season.

“If Jackson does want to head to the Dockers, I’m sure we’ll see Lloyd Meek’s name come up in ruck discussions having been the ruck deputy to Sean Darcy at the Dockers.

“Then around the competition there’s Sam Hayes who I expect to be on the trade market. He’s been in and out at Port Adelaide’s side in recent weeks.

Todd Goldstein is unsigned at North Melbourne, we know Tristan Xerri has taken on the number one mantle there. He’s going to have takers as an experienced option.

“GWS’ duo Matt Flynn and Kieren Briggs have had interest previously and are behind Braydon Preuss in the pecking order there.

“They’re the names clubs are looking at. There is a shortage of rucks around the competition. They’re the guys clubs are looking at.”

Teams like Carlton, Collingwood, Geelong, Hawthorn, Melbourne, Port Adelaide, Sydney and West Coast have all had their ruck depth challenged this year due to injuries.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Next door reckons Port have a big offer in front of Dunkley.

Do they even have anything we’d want? Butters maybe?
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    One thing I agree with Kane Cornes, he doesn't like long term contracts. I think 3 years is about right.
    Clayton Oliver has just signed a 7 year $7 million contract through to 2030 (was already contracted for next season). Will be 33 when the contract ends.

5. Thanks bornadog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post

Player for player swaps hardly ever happen any more. Their first pick will be within the top 10, guess that would do if this were to occur.

Post Thanks / Like

Dunk's partner has only signed with the Adelaide Thunderbirds for this year. Don't think he would go interstate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Player for player swaps hardly ever happen any more. Their first pick will be within the top 10, guess that would do if this were to occur.
    You’re right, but what fun is that.

It’s a shame the rumours have started up involving one of the few teams with worse key defenders than ours.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

You won't pry Butters from them unless he is making a noise about heading home. Amon would be OK but probably not a priority.
    Xavier Duursma?
    I actually don't think they need Dunks as Wines is a better version but if the interest is genuine then their first round pick might have to do.

They don't have a 2nd rounder at the moment.

Post Thanks / Like

I notice that Tanner Bruhn wants home apparently, guess what he's from Geelong!

I like him, if we could work a three way deal for him I'd be very happy. But I guarantee the Cats are into him and have probably been working him for a while.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    I notice that Tanner Bruhn wants home apparently, guess what he's from Geelong!

I like him, if we could work a three way deal for him I'd be very happy. But I guarantee the Cats are into him and have probably been working him for a while.
    He's about 21 so he's at least 7 years too young for them.

12. Likes Bulldog4life, Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Eddie put up some scenario's for North last night, mind you he mention Brad rather than Matt Crouch as well so not an exact science with him.

In essence he was saying if North shipped off Horne-Francis to Adelaide for their pick 4 which I think is pick 6 as it stands and a couple of players North should look at using that 1st round draft currency to bring in established players? He might also be conceding that they will get a priority pick as well.

If Port's interest isn't real could North make Dunkley an offer he might not refuse and maybe we could have pick 6 heading our way?
    North badly need some established players

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Eddie put up some scenario's for North last night, mind you he mention Brad rather than Matt Crouch as well so not an exact science with him.

In essence he was saying if North shipped off Horne-Francis to Adelaide for their pick 4 which I think is pick 6 as it stands and a couple of players North should look at using that 1st round draft currency to bring in established players? He might also be conceding that they will get a priority pick as well.

If Port's interest isn't real could North make Dunkley an offer he might not refuse and maybe we could have pick 6 heading our way?
    That scenario made my head hurt.

Gee whiz, if Dunkley went to North that says a lot about Josh Dunkley.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Clayton Oliver has just signed a 7 year $7 million contract through to 2030 (was already contracted for next season). Will be 33 when the contract ends.
    Madness. He will be 33 and still on a million (maybe alot is paid up front)
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Madness. He will be 33 and still on a million (maybe alot is paid up front)
    If the salary cap goes up he might be well unders on the last 2 years

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post

Seriously why does anyone take notice of McGuire? He is irrelevant.
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

18. Likes bornadog liked this post