Thanks Thanks:  154
Likes Likes:  1,003
Page 44 of 131 FirstFirst ... 34353637383940414243444546474849505152535494 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Early Trade Rumours for 2022

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    All things being equal which 6 would you go with if Lobb and Zurhaar arrived?
    Starting 6.

Naughton, Weightman, JUH
    Bruce, Zurhaar, West

Lobb on bench to interchange with Bruce/English
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Starting 6.

Naughton, Weightman, JUH
    Bruce, Zurhaar, West

Lobb on bench to interchange with Bruce/English
    Marra is a better player than Lobb and Bruce is as well?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Marra is a better player than Lobb and Bruce is as well?
    Is that a statement or question?

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Is that a statement or question?
    Sorry I thought the ? made it a question.
    Let me rephrase it, Do you think Marra, Bruce and Zurhaar are better players in our team than Lobb?

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry I thought the ? made it a question.
    Let me rephrase it, Do you think Marra, Bruce and Zurhaar are better players in our team than Lobb?
    I am not totally sold on Lobb, but I wouldn't be comparing him as he would be a Fwd/Ruck - so different role. He is better than Bruce as the 2nd ruck.

Marra and Zurhaar are young and still learning and have the potential to be very good forwards - again they play a different role.

Post Thanks / Like

Why wouldn't we be in for Lobb, a natural tall forward? Especially if he took the place on the list of any one of our number of small VFL level mids that are in and out of the side and get less than 10 touches a game? Or Bruce for that matter!

Zurhaar, a natural medium forward, would fit in at the expense of any one of these small VFL mids that are in and out of the side and get less than 10 touches a game + not kick many goals. Or Bruce for that matter!
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

7. Likes bornadog, DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I am not totally sold on Lobb, but I wouldn't be comparing him as he would be a Fwd/Ruck - so different role. He is better than Bruce as the 2nd ruck.

Marra and Zurhaar are young and still learning and have the potential to be very good forwards - again they play a different role.
    What threw me was you previously said the best players would play when I asked how do we squeeze them all in and in the scenario above Lobb has been impressive when compared to our forwards except for Naughton and maybe Weightman but isn't in the 6.

You would have to wonder why we would offer a 3 deal for Lobb if he is just a backup and you would have to wonder why he would want to come to play behind Naughton, Bruce and Marra?

He's basically the number one forward at Fremantle.

Post Thanks / Like

What threw me was you previously said the best players would play when I asked how do we squeeze them all in and in the scenario above Lobb has been impressive when compared to our forwards except for Naughton and maybe Weightman but isn't in the 6.

You would have to wonder why we would offer a 3 deal for Lobb if he is just a backup and you would have to wonder why he would want to come to play behind Naughton, Bruce and Marra?

He's basically the number one forward at Fremantle.
    As I said, he would be a solution for 2nd ruck, otherwise, why would we chase him? He has kicked 34 goals in 18 games - doesn't matter whether he is number one forward at Freo, he still isn't as impressive as Naughton for example.

Last year Bruce kicked 48 goals in 20 games, Naughton LY 47 and so far this year 47, whether Bruce finds form again is unknown.

Best Players for each position - you can't have Naughton, Bruce, JUH and Lobb all in the forward line at the same time

Post Thanks / Like

It only makes sense to chase Lobb if he or one of the other tall forwards plays back.

Otherwise I can't see the point.

Bruce holds his own in the short time he's in the ruck.

2nd ruck is so brief a stint really.

Freo used Logue for eg.

11. Likes HOSE B ROMERO, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it comes down to Bruce v Lobb v Schache

Ugle-Hagan and Naughton should be locks in 2023.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    It only makes sense to chase Lobb if he or one of the other tall forwards plays back.

Otherwise I can't see the point.

Bruce holds his own in the short time he's in the ruck.

2nd ruck is so brief a stint really.

Freo used Logue for eg.
    THENWHYISTHERESOMUCHAGNSTOVERIT

Here I was thinking we needed Sweet stinking it up in the forward line so he could take the role.

14. Likes jeemak, SquirrelGrip liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

English played about 85 percent game time.

So it's about 5 mins a quarter he's off.

A lot can happen in 20 minutes i guess, but I wouldn't say it's our most pressing need which is clearly defence.

Post Thanks / Like

From the HUN

Premiership heavyweights Melbourne and Geelong have emerged as potential new suitors for superstar Collingwood ruckman Brodie Grundy if he departs the Magpies.

In a surprise trade twist, Melbourne is eyeing Grundy, 28, as a top-line replacement option for Luke Jackson as the Demons wait to see if Jackson moves to Fremantle.

While GWS and Port Adelaide have both been linked to Grundy, it is understood the Demons and Cats may appeal to Grundy more if Collingwood asked the ruckman to explore his options.

The Giants have already interviewed Grundy, but are yet to appoint a senior coach for next season, making it difficult to map out their game plan or views on his potential role in the team.

The Demons want to continue their two-ruck strategy and would consider pairing arguably the two-best frontline ruckmen in the game together in Gawn and Grundy for next season.

Melbourne has scoured the player market for a ruck replacement for Jackson and have identified Grundy as the best available option, but only if Collingwood pay a hefty chunk of his salary.

Grundy is on $950,000 a season at Collingwood and has five more years to run on his contract.

But the Magpies are clearly open to trading Grundy as Collingwood circles star Greater Western Sydney star onballer Tim Taranto, speedster Bobby Hill and work horse Brisbane forward Dan McStay.

Collingwood has also flagged its intention to re-sign Jordan De Goey, but may not be able to secure all of their recruiting targets unless Grundy – who is one of the highest paid players in the game – moves on in a similar fashion to Adam Treloar in 2020.

Grundy has expressed his strong desire to stay at Collingwood after last week suffering a stress fracture in his ankle, ending his season. He hasn’t played AFL since a Round 6 knee injury.

Leading manager, Robbie D’Orazio, from Connors Sports on Tuesday downplayed any prospect of a move, saying Grundy was fully committed to the Magpies after an injury-ravaged year.

But Geelong is also considering its options on Grundy as well as contracted GWS midfielder Jacob Hopper.

The Cats have considerable salary cap room to help keep their premiership window open next season after smartly managing their contracts under respected list boss Andrew Mackie and legendary talent expert Stephen Wells.

Flag favourite Geelong has put off any firm decisions on their list until after their premiership assault is over.

But the club is set to be active in the trade period and would strongly consider bolstering its ruck options even though No. 1 big man Rhys Stanley, who turns 32 in December, remains contracted for next season.

They also have back-up veteran Jon Ceglar, versatile tall Esava Ratugolea and talented youngster Toby Conway.

But Grundy could provide the Cats with a significant edge in the midfield in combination with key forward dynamos Tom Hawkins and Jeremy Cameron.

Collingwood chief executive Mark Anderson said the ball was in Grundy’s court.

“He’s got a contract and is committed to that. Clearly, anything that is changed would be his decision,” Anderson said.

Dual All-Australian and two-time Copeland Trophy winner Grundy this week said he wanted to stay, before heading in for season-ending surgery on his ankle.

“I’m going to be back bigger and stronger for you guys next year,” Grundy said.

Grundy finished equal sixth in the 2019 Brownlow Medal after polling 23 votes following a brilliant campaign averaging a staggering 42 hit-outs and 21 disposals a game.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh I'd love the Demons to take on the contract.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    THENWHYISTHERESOMUCHAGNSTOVERIT

Here I was thinking we needed Sweet stinking it up in the forward line so he could take the role.
    The whole season Woof has been in meltdown about the second ruck role