Thanks Thanks:  154
Likes Likes:  1,003
Page 46 of 131 FirstFirst ... 36373839404142434445464748495051525354555696 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Early Trade Rumours for 2022

Imagine the down the line and around the ground marks with English, Lobb and Darcy. Naughty could park in the square.

Flow on effect would be nice.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    Imagine the down the line and around the ground marks with English, Lobb and Darcy. Naughty could park in the square.

Flow on effect would be nice.
    So, we are going to have:

1/. Too many mids.
    2/. Too many talls.

Awesome.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

3. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Collingwood apparently willing to pay $300k per season of Grundy's salary.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Collingwood apparently willing to pay $300k per season of Grundy's salary.
    Assuming that's not a one off payment it's a sizeable commitment for 5 years.
    I suspect Melbourne will really consider that.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Team balance wise it seems an odd move by Melbourne.

Both Gawn and Grundy seem to prefer the 80-90% ruck time.

Neither of theme are great as forwards either.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Especially when you add what they tip in for Treloar. It's a fair whack for 2 players to not play at your club.

8. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Team balance wise it seems an odd move by Melbourne.

Both Gawn and Grundy seem to prefer the 80-90% ruck time.

Neither of theme are great as forwards either.
    Goal kick challenges aside Gawn has looked pretty good as a forward but yes it's not an ideal fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Especially when you add what they tip in for Treloar. It's a fair whack for 2 players to not play at your club.
    That's something like 500K they would be chipping in next season.
    Given their ladder position they're getting great value from some of their players.
    It was poor forward planning.

Post Thanks / Like

Goal kick challenges aside Gawn has looked pretty good as a forward but yes it's not an ideal fit.

That's something like 500K they would be chipping in next season.
    Given their ladder position they're getting great value from some of their players.
    It was poor forward planning.
    They are already paying $300k of Treloars $900k, plus Grundy that would be $600K
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Blues set for draft compensation as Jones eyes AFL return

CARLTON is likely to receive draft compensation for Liam Jones, with the Blues officially informed he will be classified as an unrestricted free agent this off-season.

Jones quit the Blues in 2021 due to his COVID-19 vaccination stance but with the League lifting its vaccine mandate on players, he is expected to be back at AFL level in 2023 after meeting several clubs in recent weeks.

The Western Bulldogs, where Jones started his career, are the favourites to sign the 31-year-old on a three-year deal.

The AFL's confirmation makes it straightforward for the Dogs to list Jones as an unrestricted free agent which, depending on the level of contract, would in turn allow the Blues to gain draft compensation for him.

Jones had been on Carlton's list for eight years, which is the minimum period required to qualify for free agency. It won't amount to an early draft selection given Jones' age, which is a factor when the AFL releases its compensation picks.

The marking tall defender recently stopped playing for Palm Beach-Currumbin in the QAFL to ensure he is ready for his return to the top level.

He played 66 games for the Dogs after making his debut in 2009 before crossing to the Blues for the 2015 season. He has played 161 AFL games in total, including 19 last season for Carlton.

The AFL's free agency period kicks off on Friday, September 30 – the week following the Grand Final – and runs for a week through to Friday, October 7, overlapping with the Continental Tyres Trade Period, which ends on Wednesday, October 12.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post

The marking tall defender recently stopped playing for Palm Beach-Currumbin in the QAFL to ensure he is ready for his return to the top level.

He played 66 games for the Dogs after making his debut in 2009 before crossing to the Blues for the 2015 season. He has played 161 AFL games in total, including 19 last season for Carlton.

Was Jones more athlete or footballer? I honestly cannot remember.

I think it will be a very shaky start for him for at least the first half of 2023 and that is best case scenario.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

I think it will be a very shaky start for him for at least the first half of 2023 and that is best case scenario.
    Pretty sure he was more a footballer.

14. Thanks azabob thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Low hips, 'explosive leap', he was very good in 2021.
    Can he replicate that after 12 months out of the game on the wrong side of 30? And would any other team with a modicum of sense offer him 3 years?

I'm not sure either of those questions is a yes.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

16. Thanks azabob thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

More of a footballer but quick off the mark. I've got similar concerns that he may not be ready from round one but if he puts in some hard yards now he can close the gap. When he left us he and Jason Tutt joined a gym run by former player James Mulligan and he apparently did get a lot fitter.

If Jones is really serious I hope he is working towards a similar process of getting himself as fit as he can before he arrives at the club.

18. Thanks azabob thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Here is a copy of the story I was talking about with Jones and Mulligan

While many of his new teammates enjoy a break, with some going overseas to escape the AFL bubble, Liam Jones is focused on a different schedule.

Determined to reinvigorate his AFL career with Carlton, and backed by a three-year contract, the former Western Bulldogs forward has turned to former Dogs teammate James Mulligan, now a fitness guru, to help build his base ahead of the official start of pre-season training.

Under Mulligan's guidance at the Fit Centre in Maribyrnong, Jones has been training six days a week for the past three weeks to ensure he is ready to make an impression on his new teammates. Jones has been running and lifting heavy weights every second day and boxing on alternate days.

"I need to obviously work on my aerobic base, just so I can run out games a bit better, and use my speed and strength as repeat efforts," he said.

"I began working on that three weeks ago. I started training earlier than I usually would. I am just looking forward to getting stuck into pre-season and building that aerobic base.

"I think it's been a thing that has improved over the six years I was at the Bulldogs and I am just looking forward to taking that to the next level.

"Once I get that up, everything else is pretty strong."

Jones was given a tour of his new club on Friday, having joined the Blues on the final day of the AFL's buy-and-trade period. The Blues, seeking to replace Jarrad Waite, parted with pick 46 for a key forward whom many forget is still only 23.

Jones managed 66 games and 68 goals after being taken as a second-round selection for the Dogs in 2008 when he was a 17-year-old at Scotch College.

The Tasmanian played 10 senior matches this season but didn't appear after round 15, having been held goalless for a fortnight after kicking four in the upset win over Collingwood.

"This season was a little bit disappointing. A couple of single games were maybe some of my career-best games, then there were a few little inconsistency issues, then I was put down to the VFL and couldn't win my spot back," Jones said.

"I spent the last half of the year in the VFL. I really enjoyed my time in the VFL, we had a good culture down there, and obviously winning the flag with the VFL boys was really good.

"I was disappointed I couldn't play any more AFL games but the time I spent in the VFL was really good and I got a lot out of it."

Jones revealed he had considered seeking a trade after the 2013 campaign but opted to have another year under now departed coach Brendan McCartney. At the time, he also enjoyed working alongside Cam Mooney, the Dogs part-time forwards coach.

"Last year I was maybe contemplating (leaving) but I just wanted to have another good crack. This year was a little bit disappointing. I felt I needed a fresh start," Jones said.

"I saw Carlton as a great opportunity. They had a lot of belief in me and I had a lot of belief in what the club was doing here. I thought it could be a perfect fit."

The Blues hope that is the case, and envision the 198-centimetre Jones working alongside the robust Levi Casboult and the hard-leading Lachie Henderson next season. Jones struggled, at times, when he was left as the lone marking tall at the Bulldogs, but believes those days are about to change - for the better.

"I am still only 23 years old. I came into the system when I was only 17, still finishing year 12 in my first year. It has taken me a

little bit of time to get a routine," he said.

"That's just everything off field - diet, massage, extras, going to the beach every night. I think I am in a really good spot now.

"I don't even have to think about it anymore - that's just my routine now and I am really confident in it.

"I think my best footy is definitely ahead of me. I think I have shown glimpses of things that I can do, and I think with age, maturity and getting to know my body, and training, that will just allow me to get more consistent - which is the biggest thing."

It's a completely fresh start for Jones, who knows only one player on the Blues' list - former Bulldog and Swan Andrejs Everitt.

He received a text message from skipper Marc Murphy after his trade was consummated, and was told by a former Blue he would welcomed by the club with open arms, having joined former Greater Western Sydney duo Kristian Jaksch and Mark Whiley as new Carlton faces through the trade period.

"I spoke to Jordan Russell, who was one of the captains at Footscray (VFL side), and he just said the culture here at the footy club and the blokes are just great and they will just embrace me straight away," Jones said.

As he was shown through the Blues' state-of-the-art training facility on Friday, it was clear Jones is ready to reciprocate.
    License this article

20. Likes Dogs 24/7, Jasper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Low hips, 'explosive leap', he was very good in 2021.
    Can he replicate that after 12 months out of the game on the wrong side of 30? And would any other team with a modicum of sense offer him 3 years?

I'm not sure either of those questions is a yes.
    Hawthorn gave Lake 3 years at an older age to Jones and he was never one of the great trainers of all time. I'm not sold on the 3 years but there is precedent that it can work and work well.

Jones is a clear upgrade on all our existing batch of key defenders. If he puts the work in to get rock hard fit, he will structure us up so much better in 2023.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

22. Thanks azabob, Bulldog4life thanked for this post
    Likes bornadog liked this post