Thanks Thanks:  154
Likes Likes:  1,003
Page 13 of 131 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222363113 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Early Trade Rumours for 2022

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I am talking not only this year but over a number of years and looking at future.

When you have Full forwards around that 200cm plus mark like, Tom Lynch, the King brothers, Hawkins, Cameron, McKay, Hipwood a shorter Fullback will always struggle.

This year:

Round 1: Ben Brown 8 Marks, 3 goals
    Round 2: McKay 12 marks 4 goals
    Round 3: Franklin 7 marks 2 goals
    Round 4: Tom Lynch 5 marks 4 goals
    Round 5: Nick Larkey 7 marks 4 goals
    Round 6: Taylor Walker, although 194cm 7 Marks, 3 goals
    Round 7, Peter Wright, 4marks, 4 goals
    Round 8 Jeremy Finlason, 7 marks, 3 goals
    Round 12 Hawkins 12 marks, 2 goals, Cameron 7 marks, 6 goals

We also had darling at 192cm marking everything that came near him -8 marks, 4 goals. Also v Suns, Jeffrey at 192cm, 5 marks, 5 goals.

This is a real worry.
    If only we had a 200+ cm KD on our list rather than giving him away for a bag of chips.

And whilst we do struggle for key defenders I’m not sure height is the deciding factor… talent makes up for inches.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    If only we had a 200+ cm KD on our list rather than giving him away for a bag of chips.

And whilst we do struggle for key defenders I’m not sure height is the deciding factor… talent makes up for inches.
    I don't want to go and get an ordinary backman, we have enough.

Yes inches shouldn't be a factor over talent, look at Young, I want both, talent and inches.

Darcy Moore is the type of FB that should be the standard, or Harris Andrews. The trouble is where do you get one?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

3. Likes DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes inches shouldn't be a factor over talent, look at Young, I want both, talent and inches.

Darcy Moore is the type of FB that should be the standard, or Harris Andrews. The trouble is where do you get one?
    You don't, generally you have to develop them.

May and Dougal Howard are two that spring to mind as trades.

Post Thanks / Like

I am talking not only this year but over a number of years and looking at future.

When you have Full forwards around that 200cm plus mark like, Tom Lynch, the King brothers, Hawkins, Cameron, McKay, Hipwood a shorter Fullback will always struggle.

This year:

Round 1: Ben Brown 8 Marks, 3 goals
    Round 2: McKay 12 marks 4 goals
    Round 3: Franklin 7 marks 2 goals
    Round 4: Tom Lynch 5 marks 4 goals
    Round 5: Nick Larkey 7 marks 4 goals
    Round 6: Taylor Walker, although 194cm 7 Marks, 3 goals
    Round 7, Peter Wright, 4marks, 4 goals
    Round 8 Jeremy Finlason, 7 marks, 3 goals
    Round 12 Hawkins 12 marks, 2 goals, Cameron 7 marks, 6 goals

We also had darling at 192cm marking everything that came near him -8 marks, 4 goals. Also v Suns, Jeffrey at 192cm, 5 marks, 5 goals.

This is a real worry.
    May might be a peanut but pretty sure he is 191cm and competes with the players listed above no problem.

Why is height the deciding factor when it comes to identifying players capable of competing vs opposition talls?

1/. Player needs to have a physical element to his game - willing to engage/move their opponent with their body.
    2/. Capable of playing from in front or behind with the capacity to read the ball in the air/take marks. The forward needs to be challenge to spoil when out of position vs flying at 'everything'.
    3/. Needs to be a threat in transition and able to drag the forward out of the way/up the ground.

Lastly (actually, probably firstly) the defensive scheme needs to allow a tall defender to compete vs their forward with the support of a secondary intercept player/forward.

I think you should ask first off whether our scheme allows the players to compete one-v-one it (sort of doesn't) and whether stopping oppo individuals from scoring is really a priority vs limiting overall scoring shots.

Does it matter if Cameron has 10 shots on goal if Geelong only have 12 is what I mean here?

I don't mean to disagree with you BAD but 200cm is not a prereq.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

6. Thanks Happy Days thanked for this post
    Likes Dry Rot, jeemak, Sedat, SquirrelGrip, Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Jesus aim low BAD.

If thats the standard of backman we have to get to be worthy of trying, then we better start developing them from scratch. That would've ruled out Keath's recruitment.

How often does a defender of that quality move? Lever and May are the only two that spring to mind and the both cost a fortune and neither was the quality they are now when they moved.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

8. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I actually think Collingwood would entertain moving more but at his price and contract length I don’t think I’d want him. He’s largely been horrible this year.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupman View Post
    Jesus aim low BAD.

If thats the standard of backman we have to get to be worthy of trying, then we better start developing them from scratch. That would've ruled out Keath's recruitment.

How often does a defender of that quality move? Lever and May are the only two that spring to mind and the both cost a fortune and neither was the quality they are now when they moved.
    I can dream can't I?

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

11. Likes soupman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    May might be a peanut but pretty sure he is 191cm and competes with the players listed above no problem.

Why is height the deciding factor when it comes to identifying players capable of competing vs opposition talls?

1/. Player needs to have a physical element to his game - willing to engage/move their opponent with their body.
    2/. Capable of playing from in front or behind with the capacity to read the ball in the air/take marks. The forward needs to be challenge to spoil when out of position vs flying at 'everything'.
    3/. Needs to be a threat in transition and able to drag the forward out of the way/up the ground.

Lastly (actually, probably firstly) the defensive scheme needs to allow a tall defender to compete vs their forward with the support of a secondary intercept player/forward.

I think you should ask first off whether our scheme allows the players to compete one-v-one it (sort of doesn't) and whether stopping oppo individuals from scoring is really a priority vs limiting overall scoring shots.

Does it matter if Cameron has 10 shots on goal if Geelong only have 12 is what I mean here?

All good points, and I can't disagree with someone who knows more about footy than I do.

All I see is the youth of today are getting taller and taller, they are faster and faster, and agile.

Post Thanks / Like

All good points, and I can't disagree with someone who knows more about footy than I do.

All I see is the youth of today are getting taller and taller, they are faster and faster, and agile.
    #1 - I 100% don't know more about footy than you and it is dubious right now if I know more about footy than a pot-plant.
    #2 - Getting taller and taller and faster and more agile and whatever. Good players find a way. If it was all about athleticism Daniel Bandy would have been inducted into the HoF last night. There's more too it than that in every sport and setting physical 'limits' on who can play where is crazy.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

14. Likes Bulldog Joe, Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post

It's an established fact Steve May is either 190cm or 193cm. Suggesting he might be 191cm is just leading with the chin.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Alex Pearce offered a new 3 year contract - someone we could have targeted, although injury history is bad.

GOLDY STILL TO MAKE CALL ON FUTURE

NORTH Melbourne veteran Todd Goldstein insists he has not yet had any conversations about his future at the Arden Street club, but has revealed he wants to play on into a 17th AFL season next year.

Goldstein is uncontracted beyond season 2022, though rival clubs have already started linking the 201cm ruckman with a move away from the rebuilding Kangaroos to prolong his career at the campaign's end.

Set to turn 34 next month, Goldstein remains one of the AFL's premier tap ruckmen and believes he still has plenty left in the tank for at least another year of football after playing every game so far this season.

"At this point, I definitely want to play on," Goldstein told AFL.com.au. "I'm definitely keen to play on. But everyone has a line. My family has to be happy for me to continue playing and a lot of other factors come into it, but at this point I definitely think I've got a lot more to give."

Goldstein is yet to decide whether he will continue his career at North Melbourne, though, with the club continuing to take a firm focus on rejuvenating its playing list after a disappointing 1-12 start to the season.

17. Thanks Sedat thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Can someone get Happy Days a towel.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

19. Likes bornadog, DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    Can someone get Happy Days a towel.
    Its too late for Goldy. He would’ve worked as a genuine number one with Tim as a forward, but now with Tim more or less established as a first ruck we need a Lobb type. Goldy’s been playing this role more or less all season for North and has never looked worse.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Its too late for Goldy. He would’ve worked as a genuine number one with Tim as a forward, but now with Tim more or less established as a first ruck we need a Lobb type. Goldy’s been playing this role more or less all season for North and has never looked worse.
    I wonder if Goldy is asking for 2 more years , so he can stay a 1 club player ? His stuck in a wooden spooner team until he finishes.

or.... betray loyalty and come play for a top4 team contending ?

I really wished we picked him up 2 years ago. 32 years old for a fit and durable ruckman is a good fit, they are few and far between.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Dunstall and Lockett would look bad inside F50 for the Kangaroos this season. The ball hardly ever gets in there, and when it does the delivery is awful.

Goldy is still close to optimum. We need someone ready-made for the next 2 years, that's for sure. Any injury to English and we would be horribly exposed. If not Goldy, happy enough with Lobb but he would come at a significantly higher cost.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"