Thanks Thanks:  154
Likes Likes:  1,003
Page 12 of 131 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212262112 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Early Trade Rumours for 2022

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Keath plays that role out of necessity and is only average at doing it.

We need a 200cm lockdown fullback.
    I will say some are extra good in the role, but put these guys up against the monster forwards and it is a different story.

I am not saying they have to be exactly 200cm, but the taller than better.
    Who wants a 200cm average defender?

We have to get a quality defender.
    You've mentioned it few times.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    You've mentioned it few times.
    Never said AVERAGE

100% correct Jazzadogs. We don't need midfield depth at all. We have guys like West and Garcia waiting to get in there.

We need to be looking for a key quality backman and a second mobile ruck who can play forward and get his hands on the ball.
    Yes 200cm plus, QUALITY
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I think we could have found a meaningful spot for Lipinski. As for playing the best players, R.Smith was at times preferred and the likes of Hayes.

Just on Dunks, you might be underestimating the way we used him as a ruckman as in his decision to test the waters and if we were to lose him at the end of the year it will likely be a significant gap in our playing list and one that the likes of Lipinski would have been ideal to fill it.
    Roarke and Hayes were playing a very specific wing role which Lipinski wasn't able to play effectively. His best AFL quality role was/is as a centre bounce mid.

I think the argument for keeping Young (did we ever see a 3 pronged defence of Keath, Gardner and Young?) is much stronger than the argument for keeping Lipinski, as there was much less chance of Pat breaking in to the 22. Young should have been playing ahead of Gardner, but I think it was work ethic rather than coach's favourites that kept him out.

Post Thanks / Like

Never said AVERAGE

Yes 200cm plus, QUALITY
    I'll leave it here but your 3rd post mentioned quality, the two prior to that focused on the height more than the quality of the player.
    Have a quick look at your comments on the Logue speculation. You dismissed him outright due to his height and never mentioned his ability.
    No one is saying you don't expect a level of ability but the fixation on the height first is what I'm challenging.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll leave it here but your 3rd post mentioned quality, the two prior to that focused on the height more than the quality of the player.
    Have a quick look at your comments on the Logue speculation. You dismissed him outright due to his height and never mentioned his ability.
    No one is saying you don't expect a level of ability but the fixation on the height first is what I'm challenging.
    The quality comment is several pages back - refer post number 147, so you are incorrect. I have said all along we need a quality back man and I prefer someone with height. Height is not first or second.
    I have never ever said average.

Today, I watched Mason Cox just reach over the Lever (194cm) and just take the ball. I am actually sick of seeing these tall forwards out mark our midgets.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

The quality comment is several pages back - refer post number 147, so you are incorrect. I have said all along we need a quality back man and I prefer someone with height. Height is not first or second.

Today, I watched Mason Cox just reach over the Lever (194cm) and just take the ball. I am actually sick of seeing these tall forwards out mark our midgets.
    Lever isn't a good one on one defender imo. He's a brilliant reader of the play and intercept mark but take out May and he struggles.

7. Likes Sedat, DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Lever isn't a good one on one defender imo. He's a brilliant reader of the play and intercept mark but take out May and he struggles.
    Just an example of big forwards and small defenders.

Post Thanks / Like

Just an example of big forwards and small defenders.
    I'm not getting into this argument haha

10. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    If only May's hamstring was ripped off the bone in the first 10 mins of the GF by a couple of hard and fast Naughton leads.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

12. Likes Grantysghost, DOG GOD, Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Which opposition tall forwards have ‘out-reached’ our midget defenders this year? I know we struggled against Port’s height as we had some in game injuries, but I can’t think of many of examples.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    [/B]

Which opposition tall forwards have ‘out-reached’ our midget defenders this year? I know we struggled against Port’s height as we had some in game injuries, but I can’t think of many of examples.
    A lot of our defensive issues are due to our midfileders and their ability to defend and put pressure on the ball carrier.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

[/B]

I am talking not only this year but over a number of years and looking at future.

When you have Full forwards around that 200cm plus mark like, Tom Lynch, the King brothers, Hawkins, Cameron, McKay, Hipwood a shorter Fullback will always struggle.

This year:

Round 1: Ben Brown 8 Marks, 3 goals
    Round 2: McKay 12 marks 4 goals
    Round 3: Franklin 7 marks 2 goals
    Round 4: Tom Lynch 5 marks 4 goals
    Round 5: Nick Larkey 7 marks 4 goals
    Round 6: Taylor Walker, although 194cm 7 Marks, 3 goals
    Round 7, Peter Wright, 4marks, 4 goals
    Round 8 Jeremy Finlason, 7 marks, 3 goals
    Round 12 Hawkins 12 marks, 2 goals, Cameron 7 marks, 6 goals

We also had darling at 192cm marking everything that came near him -8 marks, 4 goals. Also v Suns, Jeffrey at 192cm, 5 marks, 5 goals.

This is a real worry.

16. Likes Dry Rot, DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    A lot of our defensive issues are due to our midfileders and their ability to defend and put pressure on the ball carrier.
    You can't blame the mids for everything.

Post Thanks / Like

It's going to happen from time to time but it's a questionable observation.
    We have 2 defenders x 197cm and if we had kept Young it would have been 3.
    We now have 2 x 193cm defenders and TOB is quite athletic and of course Cordy is experienced but is struggling.
    From a pure height perspective it shouldn't be a problem but we missed our chance to replace or keep Young and I think an injury here and there has tested us. It was always going to and many of us pointed this out over the last couple of years.
    Carlton have had similar injury challenges to key defenders if not more injury challenges and lost Jones before the start of the season and Young has stepped up for them.

If we balance the list and address the gaps we don't necessarily need to have to add a player at a certain height. If Logue is good enough, not sure if he is, I'm not fussed that he is around 193cm especially given he is athletic.
    I've watched a fair bit of Fremantle and with Logue playing forward Pearce is their tallest defender but along with 194cm Brennan Cox and 186cm Luke Ryan aren't getting toweled up or out marked too often.

Post Thanks / Like

You can't blame the mids for everything.
    I can try.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

20. Likes bornadog liked this post